Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Complete Story Listings
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complete Story Listings
 Login/Join

posted
I know this is a pretty awesome line of research, but is there any easily accessible list of all RB's short stories? I have all the major collections, one or two minor ones, and a few oddities that haven't been collected - but that still comes to only two hundred and something stories. RB is said to have written many more than that. Can anyone help?

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only one human being now living on earth can answer this, and, no, it isn't Ray Bradbury. This person is Donn Albright. A nearly-complete list came out in the "Ray Bradbury Companion," by William F. Nolan, but that was in 1975. Donn added on things left off this list and has continued with it since, but last time I contacted him he said that due to changing the format in which his list is kept, it is now impossible to copy. Last I knew, I thought there were 500-some short stories, but I haven't gotten a copy of the list in ten or twelve years. William F. Nolan said there were over 300 published short stories--that was about nine years ago. Do you have "A Memory of Murder"? It was a paperback which went out of print in about 15 minutes and reprinted some of Bradbury's "pulp" stories. Even after that, about 50 fell into the "rare, early, almost impossible-to find" category. Once in a while one turns up in an anthology. Look for editors William F. Nolan, Vic Ghidalia, Peter Haining, Sam Moskowitz, and Roger Elwood, and even then some of the anthologies are themselves rare. In 1976 I razorbladed "Subterfuge" out of a Vic Ghidalia book for a friend, who was to read and return it. She never did, and it took me twenty-five years to find another copy of that book. Donn needs to wait till he has the material assembled in book form before he can share it, and last I talked to him he did not know when that would be. He certainly has an awesome task. If you still want to make your own list, a well-stocked library will have "Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature," but of course that lists only certain publications.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-12-2002).]

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks (dandelion) for your reply. No, I don't have A Memory of Murder, though I'm aware of it. I am not a truly zealous collector, in the sense of zealously pursuing items; I've just kept an eye out over the years and picked up books/magazines with stories I didn't recognise. I'd better mention that I live in Cape Town, South Africa, so my access to all things Bradbury is limited. thank heavens for the net, and amazon.com. I'm very tempted to order that Dark Carnival reprint, but price is an object.
Anyway, I haven't done too badly ... I think I have one or two stories that must be tricky to get even in the States. Examples: "The Watchers", "The Piper", "The Undead Die" (a collaboration), "Bright Phoenix", and maybe one or two others. Of course, the books you get here are virtually always the British editions, which is interesting in itself. I can't cite chapter and verse, but I've come across references to baseball changed to cricket (!), and so on.
Actually, I'd settle for details of the stories I do have; these are not always clear from the copyright pages. Not an obsession - just an interest, since some of the anthologies have stories published decades apart.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, okay, you've convinced me...for the benefit of those with limited access to this information...but I will list ONLY uncollected short stories--NOTHING contained in ANY Bradbury collection, including such rare collections as the original "Dark Carnival" and "A Memory of Murder"--people who want that can find it their damn selves--and no poems, nonfiction, or novels...so it should take only a couple of days, not a couple of years! First appearances only--I'm not listing magazine reprints, or naming anthologies. The number of anthologies in which a story appeared is listed after the notation. I'll make an exception for the "Dark Carnival" reissue, which contains additional material, but is so rare it deserves special notice. They say they are printing 700 copies and THAT'S IT. We'll add up the total, and figure, at, say, 20 stories per collection, how many we're looking at here.

Stories listed in error in "The Ray Bradbury Companion":
"Return from Death" as "Anthony Corvais" in "Futuria Fantasia," Fall 1939, and
"The Symphonic Abduction" (anon.), in "Futuria Fantasia," Winter 1940.
Author is Hannes Bok. "Futuria Fantasia" was a fanzine edited and published by Bradbury, which ran four issues.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-16-2002).]

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1938-1939

"Hollerbochen's Dilemma," Imagination! January 1938. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Hollerbochen Comes Back," Mikros, November 1938. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"How to Run a Successful Ghost Agency" (as "Brian Eldred"), D'Journal, March 1939. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"Don't Get Technatal," (as "Ron Reynolds"), Futuria Fantasia, Summer 1939. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Gold," Science Fiction Fan, August 1939. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"The Pendulum" (anon.), Futuria Fantasia, Fall 1939. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
Great Stuff. Thanks for your interest, and your reply. There must be scores of these, so please don't put yourself out unduly. I'm sure someone will attempt to publish an exhaustive bibliography someday ... and good luck to them.

PS I've just been rummaging among some old anthologies and I've also found "Lorelei of the Red Mist" in an old Asimov/Greenberg anthology (orig. Planet Stories, Summer 1946)

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Douglas, it is not all *that* hard, because as the list progresses chronologically, the more stories are collected. By the way, anything that does NOT say "Anthologized but not collected" means that, to my knowledge, it was not even anthologized. My checking on this has been pretty complete, but of course I could have missed a few. (I am noting these as totally uncollected in books. Anyone who knows otherwise, please inform.) In the cases in which I have copies in other than book form, I have noted what kind of copy.

1940-1945

"The Maiden of Jirbu" (with Bob Tucker), Polaris, March 1940. As far as I know, not even anthologized.
(Have electronic copy.)

"Tale of the Tortletwitch" (as "Guy Amory"), Spaceways, April 1940. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"Luana the Living," Polaris, June 1940. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"The Flight of the Good Ship Clarissa" (anon.), Futuria Fantasia, Winter 1940. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"The Piper" (as "Ron Reynolds"), Futuria Fantasia, September 1940. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"The Last Man," Damn Thing, November 1940. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"It's Not the Heat, It's the Hu--," Script, November 2, 1940. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"The Tale of the Terrible Typer," Fantasite, November 1940. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"Genie Trouble," Damn Thing, December 1940. As far as I know, not even anthologized.
(Have electronic copy.)

"How Am I Today, Doctor?" Damn Thing, February 1941. As far as I know, not even anthologized.
(Have electronic copy.)

"The Trouble With Humans is People," Damn Thing, March 1941. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"Tale of the Mangledomvritch," Snide, 1941. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"To Make a Long, Long Story Much, Much Shorter," Script, July 5, 1941. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"Pendulum" (with Henry Hasse), Super Science Stories, November 1941. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Eat, Drink and Be Wary," Astounding Science Fiction, July 1942. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"The Candle," Weird Tales, November 1942. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.
(Have paper copy--magazine pages tearout.)

"The Piper," Thrilling Wonder Stories, February 1943. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Subterfuge," Astonishing Stories, April 1943. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Gabriel's Horn" (with Henry Hasse), Captain Future, Spring 1943. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Doodad," Astounding Science Fiction, September 1943. Anthologized but, strangely not collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1, although it covers 1938-1943! Perhaps Volume 2 starts with 1943. I have the anthology but would have to find it!

"And Watch the Fountains," Astounding Science Fiction, September 1943. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"Promotion to Satellite," Thrilling Wonder Stories, Fall 1943. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"The Ducker," Weird Tales, November 1943. Anthologized but not collected.

"The Sea Shell," Weird Tales, January 1944. Anthologized, and collected in Dark Carnival reissue and 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales.

"The Monster Maker," Planet Stories, Spring 1944. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"I, Rocket," Amazing Stories, May 1944. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.
(Have electronic copy.)

"Killer, Come Back to Me!" Detective Tales, July 1944. As far as I know, not even anthologized. A radio adaptation is available online.

"Morgue Ship," Planet Stories, Summer 1944. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Bang! You're Dead!" Weird Tales, September 1944. Anthologized, and collected in Dark Carnival reissue and 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales.

"And Then--The Silence," Super Science Stories, October 1944. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Undersea Guardians," Amazing Stories, December 1944. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Lazarus Come Forth," Planet Stories, Winter 1944. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"The Poems," Weird Tales, January 1945. Anthologized, and collected in Dark Carnival reissue and [/i]100 of His Most Celebrated Tales[/i]."

"Skeleton," Script, April 28, 1945. (Not the same as the one in The October Country.) As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"The Watchers," Weird Tales, May 1945. Anthologized, and collected in Dark Carnival reissue and 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales.

posted Hide Post
Absolutely fantastic stuff, dandelion. In fairness I have to say I have actually heard of many of these, though not nearly all. Definitely a list to keep. Some of the stories sound suspiciously like variant titles of collected ones ... for instance "Promotion to Satellite" - isn't that "Kaleidoscope?"

posted Hide Post
Before I get to that point, does anyone know whether "Journey to Far Metaphor," "Kaleidoscope," and "One Timeless Spring" are story collections, or contain any short stories? If so, can someone please post tables of contents so I don't list any collected stories as being uncollected?

posted Hide Post
The post below by fjpalumbo clears up "Journey to Far Metaphor" and "Kaleidoscope" but I am still unclear as to "One Timeless Spring." Last time I talked to Donn Albright, he said it didn't exist, but that was well before "From the Dust Returned," and its title page still lists this title. Could it have been published since I talked to Donn? Forthcoming? Or were the publishers just too darn lazy to replace an already-printed page?

Here's what the online version of "Books in Print" has to say:

One Timeless Spring

Author: Bradbury, Ray Publisher: Buccaneer Books, Incorporated ISBN or UPC: 1-56849-456-4(Out of Print)
Format: Library Binding Date: 1994 Price: $ 19.95 Market: USA

One Timeless Spring

Author: Bradbury, Ray Publisher: Amereon, Limited ISBN or UPC: 0-89190-345-3(Active Record)
Format: Trade Cloth Date: Not Supplied Price: $ 24.95 Market: USA

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-16-2002).]

posted Hide Post
No, Bradbury used similar ideas (such as electronic mice) in different stories. "Kaleidoscope" first appeared in Thrilling Wonder Stories, October 1949.

1946-1949

"Final Victim" (with Henry Hasse), Amazing Stories, February 1946. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Defense Mech," Planet Stories, Spring 1946.
(Have Electronic Copy.)

"Rocket Skin," Thrilling Wonder Stories, Spring 1946. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"Her Eyes, Her Lips, Her Limbs" (as "William Elliott"), Californian, June 1946.
(Have paper copy--scratchy microfilm print.)

"Lorelei of the Red Mist" (with Leigh Brackett), Planet Stories, Summer 1946. Anthologized but not collected. (With 6 appearances, the winner of the anthology total.)

"Tomorrow and Tomorrow," Fantastic Adventures, May 1947. Anthologized. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Rocket Summer," Planet Stories, Spring 1947. (Not the same as that in The Martian Chronicles.

"The Irritated People," Thrilling Wonder Stories, December 1947. Anthologized but not collected.

"Jonah of the Jove Run," Planet Stories, Spring 1948.
(Have paper copy--magazine pages tearout. Have electronic copy.)

"The Square Pegs," Thrilling Wonder Stories, October 1948. Collected in 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales.

"The Silence," Super Science Stories, January 1949. (Retitled reprint of 1944 story "And Then--The Silence," which appeared in a Canadian publication. The Ray Bradbury Companion erroneously lists this as its first printing.) Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"The Lonely Ones," Startling Stories, July 1949. Collected in 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales.

"Changeling," Super Science Stories, July 1949. Anthologized in at least 4. Collected for the first time in 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales.

"Holiday," Arkham Sampler, Autumn 1949. Anthologized but not collected.
(Have electronic copy.)

"A Blade of Grass," Thrilling Wonder Stories, December 1949. As far as I know, never anthologized. Collected for the first time in 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales, making this a first book appearance! Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

posted Hide Post
On this subject: see a rather comprehensive listing of Mr. Bradbury's works on line- http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/exact_author.cgi?Ray_Bradbury

Awards, pseudonyms, references of works [1947-2000] and more.(Credit to: Copyright (c) 2001 Al von Ruff)

Also, as I am writing this, I am listening to a wonderful narration of "A Sound of Thunder" from Ray Bradbury Himself: 19 Complete Stories. If you don't have this four cassette, almost six hour of readings by Mr. Bradbury, it's a great treat every time you listen to it!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 01-03-2002).]

Note: On checking the above link a year later, it seems to be broken. Google searches bring up a record of the page, but no access to it. The best source for complete and current information seems to be at www.locusmag.com where you can find magazine and anthology appearances by author.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-17-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that list does include a few things not found in the "Ray Bradbury Companion," but not the three works I asked about above.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-05-2002).]

posted Hide Post
These may offer some reason for difficulties in a definitive answer: (hope it helps)

Journey to Far Metaphor : Further Essays on Creativity, Writing, Literature, and the Arts
/ Published date unknown
(Publisher Out Of Stock)

Kaleidoscope, the Human Operators
Two science fiction masters are featured in this collection. Ray Bradbury's Kaleidoscope and Harlan Ellison's The Human Operators are presented.
Ray Bradbury, et al / Unknown Binding / Published June 1997
(Publisher Out Of Stock)

credit- http://www.non.com/books/Bradbury_Ray_cc.html

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that clears things up a bit. Here are two more early/rare short story collaborations not listed in "The Ray Bradbury Companion"

"The Record" (with Forrest J. Ackerman). First book appearance was in the anthology The Science Fiction Worlds of Forrest J. Ackerman and Friends, but the source above lists the date as 1939. If published in 1939, it may have appeared in Futuria Fantasia or some other fanzine. Otherwise, it was written in 1939 but not published until 1966. Anthologized but not collected.

"The Undead Die" (with E. Everett Evans), Weird Tales, July 1948. Anthologized but not collected. (Possibly more than one, but only (1) which credits Bradbury. The first page is pictured in The Ray Bradbury Companion but the story is not listed.)
(Have electronic copy.)

By the way, I'm counting foreign collections such as The Day It Rained Forever and The Small Assassin, which include stories not found in American editions, so uncollected = *really* rare.