Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Complete Story Listings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complete Story Listings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Perhaps the best solution would be to bring out a multi-volume set (10-15 volumes!) titled "Complete Stories." They'd have to be labeled by volume number, followed by a title identifying that volume and setting it apart from the rest. Each story should appear just once, all grouped more or less by type, with less-successful stories distributed among more-successful ones of the same type. It would be really interesting to arrange them this way to show how his writing developed and demonstrate what "worked" and what didn't.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This would be much like the complete works of Poe, Twain, Doyle, etc. That would be monumental and fantastic to behold!

The only catch is, when it went to the publisher's where would the 100 or so "new" works he produced in the interum be placed? The next Volume, maybe!

How many stories would we be talking about?

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story list in the thread titled "Story Classifications" is now complete up until about 1963. After that some are probably missing, but counting what's there so far will give a rough idea.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Okay, here it is, straight from the horses's mouth: "_One Timeless Spring_, _Kaleidoscope_, and _Journey to Far Metaphor_ do not exist! I noted this to Morrow, so hopefully they'll drop them. This has gone on for years."--Donn Albright. Donn also says, "you must realize he's been in 800 original anthologies and another 800 1st printing textbook." Now, I assume these mostly refer to collected stories, but with such numbers, it's possible some "anthologized but not collected" appearances are missing from this list!

I've been searching for these titles off and on for some years now. Finally a definitive
answer as to why I've never found them.

On this same subject, do you have any information on these titles that I've also seen: "The Love Affair" and "The Last Good Kiss".

I have a theory that they are special one time printings of two short stories. Could they be more than that?

Posts: 9 | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, everyone pray for good health and prosperity for Donn Albright! If anything happens to him, the rest of us are sunk! I'll pass this on to him. He can correct me if wrong, or I may find the answers myself going through the sheafs of pages of reference material I printed from online, but I believe "The Love Affair" contained only the title story. It was a special printing of a story which later appeared in a collection. "The Last Good Kiss" was also a special printing, of a poem, I think listed for $400.00?! I don't know if it's ever been published elsewhere.

posted Hide Post
Hi, guys, I've updated this by:
--Removing a retitled story from the originals list.
--Removing all stories which appear in "Driving Blind" and "One More for the Road" from the "uncollected" list.
--Adding five published, but still uncollected, stories.
--Adding copyright years to recent uncollected stories so the list can be put in order.
I have acquired "One More for the Road" and a couple of the anthologies, so I will let you know the "new count" of unread stories when I've read all I have. As mentioned several times above, anyone really wishing to find certain "anthologized but not collected" stories can search for them at www.locusmag.com ; new anthologies come out all the time. The "new count" of uncollected stories is now 78--almost as many as before the publication of "One More for the Road"!

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-17-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Trade Requests:

Besides anthologies, another way rare early stories come available is through vintage issues of pulp magazines, which come up on eBay all the time. With this in mind, I thought maybe someone here might have some of the stories mentioned. I'll list early (pre-1970) stories I don't have in any form, followed by those I do, and perhaps we can arrange to trade photocopies of our copies:

Stories of which I have no copies (not even of any kind)

Hollerbochen's Dilemma
Hollerbochen Comes Back
How to Run a Successful Ghost Agency
Don't Get Technatal
Gold
The Record
The Maiden of Jirbu
Tale of the Tortletwitch
The Piper (1940 version)
The Flight of the Good Ship Clarissa
The Last Man
It's Not the Heat, It's the Hu--
The Tale of the Terrible Typer
Genie Trouble
How Am I Today, Doctor?
The Trouble With Humans is People
Tale of the Mangledomvritch
To Make a Long, Long Story Much, Much Shorter
Eat, Drink and Be Wary
And Watch the Fountains
The Monster Maker
I, Rocket (1944)
Killer, Come Back to Me!
Morgue Ship
Lazarus Come Forth
Undersea Guardians
Skeleton (1945 version)
Final Victim (with Henry Hasse)
Defense Mech
Rocket Skin
Lorelei of the Red Mist
Tomorrow and Tomorrow
The Undead Die (with E. Everett Evans)
Changeling
The Lonely Ones
Holiday
All on a Summer's Night
Payment in Full
The Bonfire
The Year 2150 A. D.
The Fireman (Had it; not sure I still do)
A Little Journey
Love Contest*
The Secret
Bullet With a Name
They Knew What They Wanted*
Massinello Pietro
The Blue Flag of John Folk
The Hour of Ghosts*

*These were in well-known publications and I can easily obtain copies.

Stories I have in the form of anthology appearances, original magazine appearances, or magazine reprints. Numbers following are the number of photocopied pages (1 page per copy for magazines, 2 for books) it would take to copy each story.)

The Pendulum/Pendulum (These two, together, 8)
Luana the Living (5)
The Candle (7)
The Piper (1943 version) (9)
Gabriel's Horn (with Henry Hasse) (10)
Subterfuge (5)
Promotion to Satellite (7)
Doodad (Book boxed up for now)
The Ducker (7)
And Then--The Silence (3)
Her Eyes, Her Lips, Her Limbs* (1)
Rocket Summer (1947 version) (8)
The Irritated People (13)
Jonah of the Jove-Run (10)
The Square Pegs (7)
A Blade of Grass (5)
Miss Bidwell (A Far-Away Guitar) (5)
Marvels and Miracles--Pass It On!* (4)
Bright Phoenix* (4
*Microfilm copies. "Marvels and Miracles" I'd almost surely have to redo, and the other two may or may not make readable reproductions. Of the rest, some are fragile, but all should copy well.

Update: thanks to all who responded to my request! I just acquired The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1 so to see which stories I now have and in what form please see the entries for each story on the preceding pages.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
Dandelion:::

Years ago I wrote ...The Saturday Evening Post... asking why they didn't publish any more Ray Bradbury stories. No reply. And that was to Editor SerVaas, a very nice medical doctor lady. Well, sent another letter. No soap. Asked Ray...He said he didn't know why! Hmmm. Literary Politics?

Anyway... my idea also was tfor someone to gather all the 'love stories' of Ray's works... Death and the Maiden, April Witch, exerpts from Dandelion Wine...etc etc... to intro him to people who would never have read him otherwise, with the Sci-Fi label. But all this was back in early 1980's.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Updated again, noting previously uncollected stories slated to appear in the forthcoming volume. When I have a final version actually in hand, I'll remove them. It also considerably changes my possible for trade list. Let's have another look at the totals:

Uncollected stories I've read (removing the noted ones): 27

Uncollected stories I haven't read: 42

Total stories still uncollected: 69

Still enough for over four average-sized collections, two above-average-sized collections, or one very large collection!

posted Hide Post
Dandelion: You're The Greatest, An Incredibly Dedicated And Giving Person. If There Were No You, There Would Be No This. Thank You. I Think We're All Proud Of You And We're Definately Depending On You.

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awww...it's so great to be appreciated...especially when you feel a *need* for appreciation! I will try to keep up the good work!

posted Hide Post
Sorry to resurrect a dormant topic, but I've just been building a database of short stories as collected in Bradbury's books, cross-referencing it with as many external sources as possible (ISFDB has proven useful for this, but also annoyingly incomplete). Jerry Weist's book has also helped identify a couple of precise dates for magazine appearances - but annoyingly doesn't identify which printings were "firsts" and which were reprints.

Anyway: dandelion, given your excellent work in this topic, especially with UNCOLLECTED stories, would you mind if I incorporate the above material into the story finder on my web page?

Which reminds me of a question I meant to ask months ago: is there an FAQ for this forum?

- Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 09-07-2003).]

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use this information, which is not really original with me, but compiled from several other sources. For a truly complete list of short stories on this site, see "Story Classifications (Under Construction)" but that gives only titles, original year of publication, and categories, not first appearances. I've tried to put them in the correct order by month and year but haven't listed each actual date. I believe locusmag.com gives a pretty complete rundown of first appearances. I've never looked for an FAQ here because I already know everything! Just kidding, ha-ha. I will say there could be a lot more to this site were it entrusted to the right hands.

posted Hide Post
Apologies for further resurrection, but I have found this site very recently. The list of uncollected stories is so impressive and I thought I might be able to contribute just a little bit:

The Death of Mr. McCarthy �gBlue and White Daily�h (Los Angeles High School) April 21, 1938 (anonymous)

Mummy Dust �gD�fJournal�h May 1939 (as "Cecil Clayborne Cunningham")

To Make a Long, Long Story Much, Much Shorter �gScript�h July 5, 1941 and Skeleton �gScript�h April 28, 1945 are both anthologized in THE BEST OF ROB WAGNER�fS SCRIPT ed. Anthony Snide; Scarecrow Press, 1985

The Bonfire �gTorquasian Times�h Winter 1950-1951 is anthologized in GAUNTLET 2 ed. Barry Hoffman; Borderlands Press, 1991

The Hour of Ghosts �gSaturday Review�h October 25, 1969 is anthologized in GHOST TOUR ed. Peter Haining; London: William Kimber [1984]

A Summer Day �gRedbook�h August 1978

Great Day in the Morning �gAmerican Way�h May 15, 1992

Appreciate your double-checking of the above.

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first two, I never heard of, but if they are short prose fiction, definitely by Bradbury, and not already listed under any other title, certainly they should count.

Those anthologies, I did not know of, thanks!

The only one which should definitely not count here is "A Summer Day." That was the magazine title of "Hopscotch," which is a collected story.

I haven't checked new fiction in awhile and don't know when I will, so no doubt the uncollected stories list will grow then as well, making this an ongoing, not resurrected, thread.