Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Complete Story Listings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complete Story Listings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You deserve a medal, Dandelion!!! as he would put it "Live Forever" thank you for your research...

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, thanks, uncle! Anyone really desiring a medal could undertake to list the anthologies for the "anthologized but not collected" stories. Some of them are on Al von Ruff's online list, cited above, but of course each title would have to be checked individually. As for anyone actually locating copies of all 80+ stories and editing them into collections, well, it's hard to imagine what sort of award to bestow!

(Award pending to Drs. Touponce and Eller--may they live forever just to complete the task!)

I experienced a bit of future shock in trying to update my list. In one library, I couldn't find the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature past 1997. In another, I couldn't find it at all! As it turned out, both libraries had cancelled their subscriptions to both Reader's Guide and Books in Print in favor of online services! So now you not only STILL need to be at the library to access this information--you have to find an available computer and know how to use it! On the Books in Print site, I tried doing a search on everything under his name--in print, out of print, printed and non-printed materials. Out of 707 hits, it only let me view 250! So now I have to go back and divide them into books, audio, and video, and perhaps even divide the books into in print and out of print, to sort the lists down to 250 or less! Al von Ruff's site is, again, invaluable for listing the contents, so I can form an idea of what I've read and what I still need to be on the lookout for, not to mention listing publications Reader's Guide never listed in the first place, so THANKS for telling about it. It reduced my time of sitting in the corner feeling like a dinosaur. At least it isn't as bad as having your trolley replaced by a bus. A trolley takes the scenic route, a bus gets you there more quickly and directly...*sigh,* choices, choices.... Of course, in the community of which I speak, the buses are actually painted and fixed to resemble trolleys! I laugh and think of Dandelion Wine, Douglas, and Ray, every time I see one!

Update: Since I seem to have copped out on listing the anthologies back in 2002, I am removing the numbers indicating in how many anthologies these stories appeared--irrelevant in some cases for those which have since been collected.

In December 2011 I attempted to update the list using a library search engine. We limited the search to Ray Bradbury items from 1998 on and got over 1,500 hits! Far too many to plow through there, or print and take home, and I couldn't send the information to myself electronically. Now that I have learned my hometown library subscribes to such a service, and Donn's book being still not out, ten years later I am embarking on yet another attempt to update the list. Watch this space!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I'm very disappointed that you were unable to open the Locus site, because I would have appreciated your opinion of it.

If I ever stumble on to that baseball/cricket thing again, I'll let you know. To be honest, I'm not even sure that it was about baseball or cricket; it was just a few lines with such an obviously English cast that I felt sure they couldn't be original.

Since you are obviously the 800 lb gorilla of Bradbury fans, I've followed your advice and ordered that new edition of Dark Carnival.

I am now living in a piano crate. All donations are welcome.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, Douglas, sorry about that, but, the weather must be very warm in your part of the world. It's much less drafty than a piano crate in Chicago in January! You may be glad. I heard from the man at Gauntlet Press, who has sold over 600 of the 700 copies already. Boy, would I have been mad had I found out too late! If I'm the 800-lb gorilla, then Donn is the 1000-lb gorilla. After all, I just owe Bradbury my life. To a large extent, the pursuit of Bradbury *is* Donn's life. (That's a tribute to Bradbury, not a dis on Donn--it really is a full-time job and SOMEbody has to do it!) Frank Palumbo sent me another way to get into the locus site which I will probably try and I do thank him for sending. As I said, I found what the libraries now use instead of "Books in Print" but can't figure what they have instead of "Reader's Guide." So far the only journal index I've found online is some arts and humanities thing which mainly has essays and other papers people have written about Bradbury. That's interesting, too, but not what I was looking for to update my list. I'll either ask, at both this and our local library, or wait for my once-a-year spring visit to an even bigger library and try to update it there.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-11-2002).]

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you a copy of the book, In The Stream of Stars: The Soviet/American Space Art Book - Workman Publishing, 1990? The intro is "We are the Carpenters of an Invisible Cathedral" (A Historical Perspective by Ray Bradbury).

Mr. Bradbury's opening comments (2 pgs.)(6/21/90) are quite eloquent! He sets up what follows in the contents masterfully. The art work is by astronauts, cosmonauts, and other space program personnel. The paintings and accompanying descriptions by the artists are well organized as well as very thought provoking.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone!

Firstly, my apologies for the occasional double postings. The thing is, after you click the "submit" button, you are returned to the allegedly new page, but still with no sign of your posting. So then I click "submit" again. Looks as if I shouldn't. Sorry.

Dandelion, some twenty years ago I used a publication called Short Story Index to look up the contents of books I couldn't find, and to check the differences between the American and British contents of books.

I wonder if it still exists, and whether it could be useful? According to an ancient handwritten note of mine the SSI was published in New York by the H. W. Wilson Company. The volumes I used were published in the fifties and sixties, but you never know ...

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While looking for the other sources, I did find where the library keeps its volumes of "The Short Story Index," which go up to 1999. I looked at the locusmag site, and, while it is a good start, it needs a lot of work. For one, the list of stories is far from complete--Al's site is much more comprehensive. What is there isn't all correct, either. For instance, neither "The October Country" nor "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" seem to be listed at all as collections under stories which appeared in them. Some of the collections listed are wrong: several stories listed as being in "I Sing the Body Electric!" are actually in "Long After Midnight." Also, anthologies seem to include only those published from 1984 on, so a lot of earlier anthologies are missing. They do list a number I'd never heard of. I checked locusmag and "The Short Story Index," which resulted in a lot of stories being added to the "anthologized but not collected" category. I went ahead, got really carried away, and listed the number of anthologies in which each story appeared. People wishing titles, editors, publisher, and date for each anthology will still have to find it out their damn selves, though. When I checked all the above...WOW...it resulted in at least one I'd never even HEARD of!

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-14-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Okay, people, are you ready for the coup de gras...that is, the final official count? Removing all those initially listed in error, noted above, including "A Wild Night in Galway," and adding those discovered on checking and rechecking all sources, the count stands as follows:
Not even so much as Anthologized:
Stories published, and maybe reprinted, in magazines, and never in any book: 54
Anthologized but not collected: 27
Which still leaves a total of EXACTLY 81, or, as I said, four 20-story collections.

Uncollected stories I've read: 34
Uncollected stories I've never read: 47

By the way, I was right on in estimating I'd read all but about 50 of his stories. If you add the four stories collected in the "Dark Carnival" reissue, which I didn't include in the above count, then subtract the one I read in an anthology, which I also did not count above, that leaves EXACTLY 50 unread stories!

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 02-02-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Douglas, thanks for motivating me to make this list, which has been needing to be done for a long time, and for all your kind words. In fact, I am so proud of my work I want to print this thread out. So--since we don't HAVE a moderator--a situation we're still working to remedy--could you, and whoever else may have double-posted anywhere, please do me a great favor? On each second (third, etc.), duplicate post, just edit over it and replace it with "Duplicate Document Deleted" or some such brief notation. The "Edit" button is the second icon from the right above the post, and, by the way, I LOOOVE this button! Allowed me to make all the corrections above. This will save time, space, toner, and paper, and make for an all-around neater printout, so I really appreciate it! Thanks, all!

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 01-14-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Well done, dandelion, and my personal thanks once again. Your list, combined with the other relatively easily available sources mentioned above, should allow fans to arrive at a very fair, if not completely faultless, catalog of stories. I, for one, am now compiling a computer database. It'll take time, though, and since we all wish Ray eternal life and vigor, it will never be anything more than a "work in progress"!

posted Hide Post
Okay, here it is, straight from the horses's mouth: "_One Timeless Spring_, _Kaleidoscope_, and _Journey to Far Metaphor_ do not exist! I noted this to Morrow, so hopefully they'll drop them. This has gone on for years."--Donn Albright. Donn also says, "you must realize he's been in 800 original anthologies and another 800 1st printing textbook." Now, I assume these mostly refer to collected stories, but with such numbers, it's possible some "anthologized but not collected" appearances are missing from this list!

posted Hide Post
Eh bub! Bradbury is coming out with some new ones. And guess what, a book, THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY, has been out for a while. It has 100 stories in it. Great book!

Posts: 4 | Location: greenfield ctr. Ny 12833 | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, either remove "The Troll" or make that 81 uncollected stories. See the amended list in the most recent batch of titles above. By the way, as Donn Albright has no projected publication date for his bibliography, these online lists are *it* for now!

posted Hide Post
Don't forget about Ray's short story, The Drummer Boy of Shiloh. It was included in an 8th grade English text book. I was fortunate enough to cover that material with the students and was able to record an interview I conducted with Ray on my speaker phone. The students seemed to enjoy the little extra to make the lesson interesting.

Basically I asked Ray what was the idea behind thestory and he related it.

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't forgotten "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh." In fact, one of these days I plan to find the letters published right after its appearance in "The Saturday Evening Post," really cute and funny, where everyone who wrote in claimed to have known the actual drummer boy! This, however, is a list of Ray's uncollected stories. "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" was collected, in "The Machineries of Joy." For a list of his complete stories, see the thread on Story Categories and Classifications. Still under construction, it will list EVERY story and "bridge-passage" of which I am aware.