Ray Bradbury Forums
Complete Story Listings

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/1941065901

18 August 2004, 11:18 AM
philnic
Complete Story Listings
I've now received my copy of The Life of Fiction, and have begun to read it. I can confirm that it looks quite a thorough book, and is particularly good at drawing out all the connections between different Bradbury stories and story cycles. Some readers may find it a bit academic at times, but the analysis is balanced by some fascinating biographical detail. Well worth a read.

Jon Eller's chronological bibliography is excellent. I have systematically cross-checked my short story finder
and corrected quite a few errors I didn't know I had (I have also found one or two inconsistencies in Jon's list, which I have notified him about). Having gone through this laborious exercise, I can now confidently claim that my website contains the most detailed and accurate Bradbury short story bibliography on the web. Phew! It only took me three solid days!

Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 08-18-2004).]
21 August 2004, 06:26 AM
dandelion
What can I say but, "I...salute you!"
21 August 2004, 04:18 PM
philnic
Thanks, dandelion.

I've just got a proper domain name for my website (a bit easier to remember than the old address - although the old address will continue to work). Set your browser to:
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

- Phil
21 August 2004, 09:03 PM
Nard Kordell
philnic:

This is a wonderul source!
A lot of work went into all of this. I know many of us will use your website to look up things we aren't sure of, or to teach ourselves about things we never knew. And certainly the website will enlighten new readers to the rich minings of Bradbury's talent, listed for all of us to find and enjoy.

Thanks again!
22 August 2004, 11:37 PM
dandelion
You should include links to this site and elron's site. One of these days I'll read (or, if necessary, reread) all the old obscure stories, and, if elron doesn't have reviews of them, I can review some for him. Maybe you could even fix a way that clicking on the title in the story titles list would open the review! (It would be a way to keep track of which have been reviewed by we his faithful readers.)
24 August 2004, 05:13 AM
philnic
Good idea, I may do that. I already have links to this message board for some of the questions in the FAQ, and a general link to Elron's original Russian site.

My original intention was that I would review all the stories myself, but I'm never going to find the time. I started doing it for one book I was reading (Memory of Murder, I think) but it was a slow process. I do most of my reading on the bus to work, and it's very difficult to make notes on a moving bus! (And my memory is rubbish, so I forget to write the reviews up afterwards.)

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 08-24-2004).]
30 September 2004, 04:31 PM
Illustratedman
Just found this terrific message board.

Ray Bradbury was the first 'serious' writer I recall being aware of. I became a fan at the age of 10. Three years ago (at the age of 34), I started rereading some of the short stories, and thought 'Hey, I was right to love this stuff when I was 10'. I have subsequently started collecting all the books I missed, and attempting to find all the uncollected short stories, so this thread has been of great interest to me.

I just checked Dandelion's list of uncollected stories against my own notes. At least one major title is missing from Dandelion's list: THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, published in the July 1950 issue of ESQUIRE. The prologue to Bradbury's short story collection THE ILLUSTRATED MAN deals with the same character, but is otherwise a totally different work.

I have a photocopy of this, as well as several other titles Dandelion needs, including LORELEI OF THE RED MIST, THE CHANGELING, THE HOUR OF GHOSTS and UNDERSEA GUARDIANS.

Also, according to my notes, the following stories have appeared in Bradbury collections:

LAZARUS COME FORTH (1944) appeared in LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT under the title GBS - MARK V.

TOMORROW AND TOMORROW (1947) appeared in THE DAY IT RAINED FOREVER (UK edition) under the title THE SUNSET HARP.

A LITTLE JOURNEY (1951) appeared in LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT under the title THE BURNING MAN.

Best wishes,
Brad Stevens.
30 September 2004, 04:54 PM
philnic
Brad,

I don't believe A Little Journey is the same story as The Burning Man (which was first published in 1975).

Neither do I believe that Lazarus Come Forth is the same as GBS Mark V.

And neither is Tomorrow And Tomorrow the same as The Sunset Harp.

Take a look at the Short Story finder on my website www.bradburymedia.co.uk - click on BOOKS and then on SHORT STORY FINDER. You will see a detailed cross-reference of all known published Bradbury short stories. I don't claim it to be perfect, but it has been thoroughly cross-checked against one of the most detailed recent bibliographies.

Phil
www.bradburymedia.co.uk
30 September 2004, 05:52 PM
dandelion
You are right (as usual), Phil; none of those stories are duplicates of the other.
02 October 2004, 10:32 AM
Illustratedman
Wow! Thanks. That's a great resource.
04 October 2004, 07:44 AM
dandelion
Ooohh...100! (101.)
04 October 2004, 10:30 AM
philnic
?
04 October 2004, 11:12 PM
dandelion
This thread just broke 100! Break out the celebration!
05 October 2004, 03:38 PM
philnic
!
01 October 2005, 12:56 AM
dandelion
I was planning to bump this thread up when I went through my copy of The Cat's Pajamas, but since Dandelion has been a bad, BAD Dandelion and not done that yet, those wishing to know the current total uncollected story count should check this list against their own copies, or better yet, consult Philnic's list.

Edit, February 24, 2012: Before all threads were moved from the old board and it was closed, several posts appeared in the old board's version of this thread. I am shoving them in here so all posts will remain in order, and so I can delete the duplicate thread. Usernames are in bold to make it clear who wrote what.

sambalizzirdonskis
Posted 03 June 2005 06:58 PM

Okay, so I've read the list(s) of uncollected stuff and am looking forward to reading it. Are there any online sources? I don't exactly live in a community hospitable to this type of literature.
if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd give them a big hug.

Nard Kordell
Posted 03 June 2005 07:47 PM

sam... etc.

You'd have great chance of success in your quest by getting yourself to the NEW Bradbury board. THIS is the OLD one....the NEW one has nearly everyone from this old site, as well as a bunch of new members....

click here: http://www.raybradburyboard.co...?cdra=Y&s=8881014801

dandelion
Posted 09 August 2011 11:00 PM

Wow, this is one of the threads which made it to the new and now only board...thank goodness.

I am bumping this up because having finished reading another collection recently I need to inspire myself to update this list.

djmonolith
Posted 04 October 2011 10:19 PM

never ever EVER delete this one, ha ha ha!!!

dandelion
Posted 05 October 2011 01:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
never ever EVER delete this one, ha ha ha!!!

No, this thread in all its incarnations is sacred.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,