Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Complete Story Listings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complete Story Listings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
1950-1954

"All on a Summer's Night," Today, January 22, 1950. As far as I know, never anthologized. Collected for the first time in 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales, making this a first book appearance!

"Payment in Full," Thrilling Wonder Stories, February 1950. Anthologized but not collected.

"The Bonfire," Torquasian Times, Winter 1950. As far as I know, not even anthologized. Collected in Match to Flame, making this a first book appearance! Collected in A Pleasure to Burn.

"The Year 2150 A.D." Shangri-La, (undated) 1950. Anthologized but not collected.

"The Fireman," Galaxy, February 1951. Anthologized. Collected in Match to Flame. Collected in A Pleasure to Burn.

"A Little Journey," Galaxy, August 1951. Anthologized at least once, and collected in 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales."

"Love Contest" (as "Leonard Douglas"), Saturday Evening Post, May 23, 1952. As far as I know, never even anthologized.
(Have electronic copy.)

"The Secret," It, Summer 1952. Collected in The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition, Volume 1.

"Bullet with a Name," Argosy, April 1953. As far as I know, never even anthologized.

"They Knew What They Wanted," Saturday Evening Post, June 26, 1954. As far as I know, never even anthologized.
(Have electronic copy.)
"Love Contest" and "They Knew What They Wanted" are actually delightful stories, just so different in tone and content from much of what is associated with Bradbury's work that he actually used a pen name for the first. The second story, although about the same characters, appeared under his own name. "The Great Fire" in The Stories of Ray Bradbury would be the most comparable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your continuing research, dandelion ... now you've got me doing it! I've started a (hopefully) comprehensive list of collected and anthologised stories, with their original sources.

Virtually all the necessary info is on www.locusmag.com; it just needs a bit of sifting, sorting, and checking. You might care to check out the Bradbury listings on this site. Many obscure anthologies are mentioned, including ones that are claimed to contain stories on your list! One example that springs to mind is "The Bonfire", for which an anthology is cited. I think there are one or two others, as well.

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Journey to Far Metaphor", as far as I know, was supposed to be a collection of non-fiction essays. The projected publication date was originally 1997 or '98, but I believe the project was abandoned. It is also the name of an essay Ray published several decades before.
Hope this helps!

-Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please don't strain yourself on anthologies dated 1970-1990. Another list I have covers most of those and I'll get to it after listing the individual stories. If any of these stories appeared in anthologies before the early '70s and are not listed as "anthologized but not collected," or if you know of any which have appeared since 1989, you may want to list those here, as they'll be the ones I don't know about. Obviously, some stories appeared in more than one anthology, so one may be rare while another is obtainable.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1955-1959

"Marvels and Miracles--Pass It On!" New York Times Magazine, March 20, 1955. As far as I know, not even anthologized.)
(Have microfilm print. Have electronic copy.)

"A Wild Night in Galway," Harper's, August, 1959. Anthologized, but, as far as I know, not collected. Note that not *all* Irish stories appear in Green Shadows, White Whale--this one, "Getting Through Sunday Somehow," "The Better Part of Wisdom," and "The Haunting of the New," to name a few. "Wild Night" is the ONLY Bradbury story I found actually depressing (although "Getting Through Sunday Somehow" might come close)--which says a lot considering I've read nearly all of them!

(Correction: "A Wild Night in Galway" did appear in Green Shadows, White Whale, but substantially rewritten.)

That takes care of 1955-1959. Note how few stories remain uncollected from these years compared to earlier periods.

posted Hide Post
1960-1969

"Bright Phoenix," Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May 1963. Anthologized at least once, and collected in 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales. Collected in Match to Flame. Collected in A Pleasure to Burn.

"Massinello Pietro," Connoisseur's World, April 1964. As far as I know, not even anthologized. Collected in We'll Always Have Paris, making this a first book appearance!
(Have electronic copy.)

"The Blue Flag of John Folk," "Two Bells," June 1966. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

"The Hour of Ghosts," Saturday Review, October 25, 1969. As far as I know, not even anthologized.

posted Hide Post
1970-1989

"The Beautiful Shave," Gallery, March 1979. As far as I know, never even anthologized. Collected for the first time in 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales, making this a first book appearance!

posted Hide Post
Retitlings and odd items:

"These Things Happen," McCall's, May 1951. Collected in Long After Midnight as "A Story of Love."

"Welcome, Brothers!" Authentic Science Fiction Monthly #29, January 1953. This is "Mars is Heaven!" retitled. I must admit, I found it pretty suspect: I could not BELIEVE that both William F. Nolan and Donn Albright missed listing an original story, and I was right.

"Tread Lightly to the Music," Cavalier, October 1962. Collected in Long After Midnight as "Getting Through Sunday Somehow."

"Good Grief" is "Statues," retitled for a 1993 anthology appearance, and should not be counted as an original story.

"Of What is Past, or Passing, or to Come II." (Seems to have first appeared in an anthology; so far uncollected. The locusmag site says this is a poem and I believe them. The first one certainly was, and Al's site has at least one other poem mistakenly listed as a short story.)

And an odd one: An original story, "The Troll," first appeared in The Bradbury Chronicles: Stories in Honor of Ray Bradbury, edited by William F. Nolan and Martin H. Greenberg. Since it is the only story in the collection actually by Bradbury, it is not exactly a Bradbury collection, but as the book is in honor of him, it is not exactly an ordinary anthology either. You can count it on your uncollected list if you like. (1991) It has appeared in two more anthologies, making it a (3)

"Pilgrimage," a story which first appeared in California Sorcery, edited by William F. Nolan and William Schafer, making it anthologized but not collected. (1999)

"The Affluence of Despair," a short story in The SFWA Grand Masters, Vol. 2, edited by Frederik Pohl. New York: Tor, 2000.

"Death Has Lost Its Charm for Me." This was the title of a collection of poems from Lord John Press, but seems to also be a short story in Strange Attraction, edited by Edward E. Kramer. Centreville, VA: Shadowlands Press, 2000.

"Haunted House," with Elizabeth Albright. Elizabeth, Donn's daughter, was about eight years old when she started this short story, which Ray completed. Anthologized in The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories, edited by Peter Haining, Robinson, 2000. It appears to be published in England but available in the U. S. as well.

"We the People, Inc.," Hemispheres, June 2001. (Magazine short story.)

posted Hide Post
Dandelion, thanks again for your efforts.

Unless this is one of those cases where the transatlantic edition is different, I think "A Wild Night in Galway" is collected. It's chapter 6 of "Green Shadows".

Here's my note on the story (I have nutshell comments, notes or reviews on all the stories of which I have texts):

"A 'wild night' out in Galway turns out to involve nothing more exotic than dog racing. The story gives the impression that Bradbury was in two minds about Ireland. Here, most of the imagery is downright depressing, especially the weather. Perhaps for this reason, the story failed to find a berth in any of his story collections, until its inclusion, substantially rewritten, in Green Shadows, White Whale."

I think that tallies well with what you said!

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion, I think Chapter 6 of "Green Shadows" is a substantially rewritten version of "A Wild Night in Galway".

And you're right - it is depressing.

posted Hide Post
Since I don't have my own copy of "Green Shadows, White Whale," I will have to check it in the library's. I'm still recovering from that "baseball to cricket" thing. "The Big Black and White Game" a cricket match? "I say, old chap, those fellows aren't behaving in a very sporting manner, what?" TOO weird! (Of course, if we were talking about British football, as opposed to American baseball or just about any other sport, the situation would have been even worse!) Having checked my handwritten list, 1989-October 1998 (as you can see, it was needing updating, which I will try to do tomorrow) I can say: during this period, Bradbury does not appear to have published a SINGLE new short story in ANY publication listed in the "Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature." Lots of reprints, a few poems, and perhaps short stories in more obscure publications. The rest is all nonfiction. It's also probably safe to assume that any short stories which may have appeared in print since then would also find their way into an upcoming collection, and it would be premature to list them as "uncollected"--in other words, it's perfectly safe to regard the above list as "complete." My notation on "One Timeless Spring" is "1994 Buccaneer Books." No number of pages, no ISBN, just a note, "NBM." Anyone know what "NBM" might indicate in "Books in Print"? Any idea why his publisher would keep listing a book which doesn't exist? I also have a question I don't believe Donn ever got around to answering: can ANYONE list the table of contents for "The Best of Bradbury" (Bantam, 1976)? Does it have an introduction? If so, I'll need to obtain a copy. If not, I just need the table of contents. Thanks, all!

posted Hide Post
Let's assume you're right about "A Wild Night in Galway" being collected, because that makes the count exactly 80 uncollected stories. Not counting five being made available through the "Dark Carnival" reissue, that's enough for 4 collections of 20 stories apiece! They SHOULD be collected, even under titles such as "Miscellaneous Misfits," "The Worst Of," "For Diehard Fans Only," and "Least Known Stories," just for the sake of completeness! Without making an *exact* count, I'd say I've read about half of them in one form or another--the other half, even a hardcore fan such as myself has been unable to obtain! No wonder they call Donn "Albright"--you'd have to be to do what he has done!

posted Hide Post
Maybe Donn did tell that and I forgot. In any case, here's the answer:

Bradbury, Ray The Best of Bradbury (boxed collection)�Bantam NY. Bantam paperback with box. No date. As new. Contains fine Bradbury classics The Martian Chronicles, I Sing the Body Electric, Long after Midnight, R is for Rocket and The Illustrated Man. Great for introductions to a science fiction master or as replacement for well-read copies of the true fan.

I couldn't open that locusmag site at all. The list linked with amazon.com has an awful lot of blanks, many of which I could fill, and no contact info, but does contain a number of items of which I was unaware, as additions to my own list, and by the way--"One Timeless Spring" isn't anywhere on it.

posted Hide Post
Actually, that's only 79--I accidentally counted "The Silence" under both titles--but here are a few more:

"From the Dust Returned," The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, September 1994. (Presumably collected in the novel of the same name.)

"The Offering," The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, March 1997.

"Overkill," Playboy, November 2000.
(See above for another magazine story and several "anthologized but not collected" in books.)

posted Hide Post
One more reminder: this is a list of UNCOLLECTED short works of fiction ONLY--not a complete or comprehensive list of everything by and about Bradbury, so therefore not an excuse not to buy Donn Albright's book when it comes out, which I expect you all to do when it's available!