Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Complete Story Listings
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complete Story Listings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks, that helps clear things up!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have listed things differently if we didn't have the Eller system - but we do have it, so that'll be the official source. I reckon "Somewhere a Band Is Playing" and "Leviathan '99" probably also don't have Eller numbers, because they're too long. the first one is a book on its own, and the second one is half of Now and Forever, so probably not stories in the Eller system.

Interestingly, Ray Bradbury's penchant for short fiction is so pronounced that few of his separately published stories reach even novelette length, as defined above.

I'm going to try to name the Bradbury novelettes (longish stories, but not quite novellas) off the cuff. Without hitting the books, I can think of the following:

"The Next in Line", "And the Rock Cried Out", "Interval in Sunlight", "I Sing the Body Electric!", "Frost and Fire" ... and now I'm stumped. Any others?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: douglasSP,

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Small Assassin?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, Phil, "The Small Assassin" is definitely a short story.

"Pillar of Fire" and "Any Friend of Nicholas Nickleby's ..." are also novelettes.

Maybe I should make another list. Smiler

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When was the last time this page was updated? I am trying to find a current "complete" short story list (including "uncollected" stories):

http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/storiesdb.htm

Thank you!

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for this thread, at least five years, and it wasn't complete then.

I haven't bothered listing those which appeared in collections, including those which went straight to books with no magazine publication first, nor do I know what has appeared in magazines in recent years (say the last six or eight) and not yet been collected. Both philnic and, I believe, the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies, keep records. Could someone name the most complete and recent? Thanks.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
When was the last time this page was updated? ...

Hi djmonolith, the last update was for the 2009 collection WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE PARIS. There have been a few more stories released since then. If I get some time, I'll bring it a bit more up to date.

As well as the occasional "new" story appearing in magazines, there are also previously uncollected or unpublished stories which have appeared in the COLLECTED STORIES first volume.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again philnic... "A Critical Edition" helped out quite a bit didn't it? Big Grin

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure my list is out of date... many stories being published in magazines of the past few years. "The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury: A Critical Edition" will attempt to collect in volumes the EVERY short story Ray wrote?

This sounds like a tremendously ambitious project. The complete Theodore Sturgeon by North Atlantic Books was a beautiful set (and it did manage to release every Sturgeon story). But Ray wrote quite a few more...

posted Hide Post
In principle, the critical edition aims to collect all the short stories... but somewhere on the dust jacket (or frontispiece) of the first volume the publisher refers to this as a three-volume series. When the first volume came out, I think I estimated that it would take about another 8 volumes to collect all the stories!

The actual extent of the run will no doubt depend on two major factors: sales success, and the stamina of Jon Eller and his team at Indiana University.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks again philnic... "A Critical Edition" helped out quite a bit didn't it? Big Grin

Actually, RAY BRADBURY: THE LIFE OF FICTION was the biggest help, as it contains appendices which are more detailed and accurate than any other previous story listing. My own list was about 85% complete and accurate, and LIFE OF FICTION helped me get the rest of it quite accurate. The CRITICAL EDITION helps embellish some of the details, but doesn't add much to the publication history. (What it DOES do, however, is clarify how Ray's intentions developed with each individual story. For that reason, it is invaluable.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
When was the last time this page was updated? ...

Further to my earlier reply, I just checked carefully through my SHORT STORY FINDER
and can confirm that it is complete and accurate up to and including Ray's 2009 short story collection WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE PARIS (his last short story collection from his mainstream publisher Morrow/HarperCollins), but does NOT include the short stories first published in the 2008 Subterranean Press volume SUMMER MORNING, SUMMER NIGHT.

The reason I didn't catalogue the SUMMER MORNING, SUMMER NIGHT stories is that I was in a quandary: what to count as a short story, and what to count as something else. This volume, of course, consists partly of reprints of previously published Green Town stories, and partly of previously unpublished fragments from the original DANDELION WINE/FAREWELL SUMMER project. Some of the fragments pass for short stories, but some of them are clearly NOT short stories.

In brief, then, my Short Story Finder is complete up to 2009, with the exception of the the SUMMER MORNING, SUMMER NIGHT fragments.

One day, I shall bring it further up to date, but for now I have other things to occupy my time. It remains the most complete, accurate and up-to-date list on the web, however.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Indeed philnic, it is the most comprehensive list on the web and it has helped me tremendously. Let me know when you have some time and are interested in updating it. Perhaps I can add my own notes... my list has a number of additions and changes (I used your list as a base).

Interestingly, I don't even own a copy of Summer Morning, Summer Night. I thought I did!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Interestingly, I don't even own a copy of Summer Morning, Summer Night. I thought I did!!

You are bound to love it when you do read it!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was most impressed with the short story finder list, and to a degree reassured that I have a lot of rays stories in the easier to find anthologies. I have one question. Is there any likelihood that the earlier uncollected magazine stories of rays will be collected?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 15 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post