Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Fahrenheit 451 / Clarisse
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451 / Clarisse
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Phil.
I think that one of my teacher´s clues refers to the line you have shown me:
"And he was surprised to learn how certain he suddenly was of a single fact
he could not prove.
Once, long ago, Clarisse had walked here, where he was walking now."

I had read it but I could not understand it before your explanation.
I will discuss it with my teacher because I think you are right when you say that it does not prove that Clarisse is dead or alive.
I am going to see her again in February and I will tell you everything about this discussion.
This has been an excellent experience for me.
Thanks very much again.
Have a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Rosalia

Posts: 7 | Location: Buenos Aires - Argentina | Registered: 09 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And a very happy New Year to you too, Rosalia. I look forward to hearing about your discussion with your teacher.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rosalia:

I will discuss it with my teacher because I think you are right when you say that it does not prove that Clarisse is dead or alive.

It proves he was still thinking of her either way. Elsewhere it is stated he was told she was dead and accepted it as fact. I don't think the book went so far as to say there was a news report or anything confirming her death. Anyone want to check? That would make it easier for her to be discovered alive, but either way since Montag never sees a body it's perfectly acceptable to bring her back in a sequel.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag finds out about Clarisse's "death":

"Mildred, do you know that girl I was telling you about?"
"What girl?" She was almost asleep.
"The girl next door."
"What girl next door?"
"You know, the high-school girl. Clarisse, her name is."
"Oh, yes," said his wife.
"I haven't seen her for a few days-four days to be exact. Have you seen
her?"
"No."
"I've meant to talk to you about her. Strange."
"Oh, I know the one you mean."
"I thought you would."
"Her," said Mildred in the dark room.
"What about her?" asked Montag.
"I meant to tell you. Forgot. Forgot."
"Tell me now. What is it?"
"I think she's gone."
"Gone?"
"Whole family moved out somewhere. But she's gone for good. I think she's
dead."
"We couldn't be talking about the same girl."
"No. The same girl. McClellan. McClellan, Run over by a car. Four days ago.
I'm not sure. But I think she's dead. The family moved out anyway. I don't know.
But I think she's dead."
"You're not sure of it!"
"No, not sure. Pretty sure."
"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"
"Forgot."

Beatty talks about Clarisse:

"...The girl? She was a time bomb. The family had been feeding her subconscious, I'm sure, from what I saw of her school record. She didn't want to know how a thing was done, but why. That can be embarrassing. You ask Why to a lot of things and you wind up very unhappy indeed, if you keep at it.
The poor girl's better off dead."

None of this proves she is dead! But I think I would feel cheated if she DID come back...Like I was when Bobby Ewing turned up in the shower...or am I showing my age?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Like I was when Bobby Ewing turned up in the shower...or am I showing my age?

You watched American cowboy soap-operas?!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems Montag didn't inquire into the details too closely but then he had a lot on his mind.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...You watched American cowboy soap-operas?!

Yes, so much better than the British cowboy soap-operas. Razzer

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, so much better than the British cowboy soap-operas. Razzer

My father, certainly no watcher of soaps, always watched DALLAS back in the old days. He justified it by calling it "a western". I still get a chuckle out of that to this day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually on that little information I'm willing to go either way--that Clarisse's family faked her death and leaked word of it to keep people off her trail (the fact that she was on Beatty's list leans toward this) or that Millie was such an airhead she didn't know if Clarisse really died, or if someone who reminded her of Clarisse died on TV, or the family merely moved and she made up the part about Clarisse dying because she was jealous of Montag's interest in Clarisse.

posted Hide Post
quote:
...always watched DALLAS back in the old days. He justified it by calling it "a western"...

Be fair, there were a lot of stetsons involved, and I once saw JR ride a horse...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
...and I once saw JR ride a horse...

I saw Larry riding a bicycle. It was last year when I was driving on Sulphur Mountain near Ojai (where Mr Hagman has a lovely 10,000 square foot Mediterranean spread atop the mountain), when on my way down I passed him pedaling up, all red-faced from the rather steep incline!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw Larry riding a bicycle...

Name dropper! Big Grin

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Name dropper! Big Grin

Am not! Have I ever even mentioned that Irv Kershner once invited me to his house for lunch?! I think not!

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe I did mention it once...

"Live Forever!"