Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Written By Magazine

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Written By Magazine
 Login/Join

posted
Written By (The Magazine of the Writers Guild of America, West) Summer 2010 Edition

This issue honors Ray Bradbury’s 90th birthday. I was lucky to be given a copy of this not-for-sale magazine which is given to WGAw members. The main article honoring Ray is titled “A Lion at 90.” There is a never before publisher story by Ray, “The Dog in the Red Bandana.” (a simply beautiful story) The cover art by Pixar Animator Lou Romano is going to be available for sale at Every Picture Tells a Story.

The joke here in L.A. is that you can go into any restaurant and ask the waiter to sell you his copy.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

ImageWrittenBy.jpg (151 Kb, 20 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first page of the story.

John King Tarpinian

ImageStory.jpg (123 Kb, 16 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip-off and images, jkt. The good news for the rest of us is that the WGAw puts the magazine on line, albeit some time after publication. Their archive of previous issues is here:

http://www.mydigitalpublicatio...publication/?i=36445

Presumably, the Ray issue will appear online in a few months.

Incidentally, browsing the back issues online I found a good article about Norman Corwin.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The publisher has just informed me that the magazine can be purchased at local So. Cal. independent bookshops.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
The publisher has just informed me that the magazine can be purchased at local So. Cal. independent bookshops.

Just let me know how much I owe you!
Big Grin

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Just let me know how much I owe you!
Big Grin

One has to find one first and as you know I don't travel over the hill if I don't have to.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...The good news for the rest of us is that the WGAw puts the magazine on line, albeit some time after publication...

Quicker than I thought: the issue has gone online! View it here:

http://www.mydigitalpublicatio...publication/?i=40620

You can also download a PDF version.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, yes, downloaded and printed just now. A great colorful layout, article by F. X. Feeney, ...and the metaphoric story! Thanks.
f

The article refers to a week of LA RB birthday celebrating! Any details (settings) taking shape, jkt?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hesitate to draw attention to this, but in the interview Ray explicitly states "I am a Zen Buddhist". That will put the cat amongst the pigeons for those who fret over Ray's religious leanings!

(He's being metaphorical. Like when he says he's a bastard son of Lon Chaney.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Phil, yes, downloaded and printed just now. A great colorful layout, article by F. X. Feeney, ...and the metaphoric story! Thanks.
f

The article refers to a week of LA RB birthday celebrating! Any details (settings) taking shape, jkt?

Phil: Yes, lots of stuff in the works. The city of Los Angeles is going to declair a Ray Bradbur Week with all types of events.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Great blog post by Lou Romano on the creation of the cover image:

http://louromano.blogspot.com/.../bradbury-at-90.html

--
jJ

Posts: 61 | Location: United States | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Zen" reference is also intrigued by Mr. Feeney's closing remark, "The affirmation of Christianity throughout (the story "The Dog with the Red Bandana") is so simple and direct that you might wonder if this is a new departure in Bradbury's works."

Not really, as through the years there has been no lack of religious allusions and understanding of the traditions there of (Ie., The Man, Fire Balloons, etc. ...) http://www.intellectualconserv...com/article2965.html

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Declair: to regurgitate an eclair (OED, rejected entry).

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait! Ray is NOT the bastard son of Lon Chaney???

Wink

thank you for the pdf link!

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am celebrating Ray Bradbury Week by reading We'll Always Have Paris. I have kept this on my shelf, unread, since it was published, waiting for a good moment to dive in.

Last night I ran across Ray's dog with the red bandana in one of the short stories... I am starting to wonder who this dog is.

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post