Ray Bradbury Forums
Amazon's New Kindle

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/1891065193

26 September 2008, 12:15 PM
biplane1
Amazon's New Kindle
Amazon.com has a new gadget, called Kindle, out for the bibliophile, an electronic, wireless device that you can order books for $9.99 and have them downloaded to the device in less than a minute no matter where you are.

What effect will this have on the Borders and Barnes and Nobles? Newspapers and magazines can also be downloaded. For a cool $359.00 you, too, can have one. Check it out on Amzon.com/Kindle

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,
26 September 2008, 01:52 PM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Amazon.com has a new gadget, called Kindle, out for the bibliophile, an electronic, wireless device that you can order books for $9.99 and have them downloaded to the device in less than a minute no matter where you are.

What effect will this have on the Borders and Barnes and Nobles? Newspapers and magazines can also be downloaded. For a cool $359.00 you, too, can have one. Check it out on Amzon.com/Kindle

Some things are inherently wrong, bordering on evil. Even Captain Kirk preferred holding a real book over an electronic book. Kindle is even more sterile than going into a Borders or Barnes and Noble...if that is possible.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
26 September 2008, 02:16 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Amazon.com has a new gadget, called Kindle...

I know - I made reference to The Damned Thing recently somewhere amongst this forum.

Dreadful little machine, no?

Ambrose Bierce is a good word.

"Live Forever!"
27 September 2008, 03:16 AM
philnic
I don't know i I would go so far as to say a Kindle is evil. But a piece of technology which is inferior to the technology it seeks to replace in almost every respect seems somewhat doomed to failure.

And for the price, you could buy a cheap laptop, which would enable to read all the e-books you want AS WELL AS surf the web, play games and write your own book!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter