Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Directly relating in Somethign Wicked This Way(a little help)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Directly relating in Somethign Wicked This Way(a little help)
 Login/Join

posted
For school, I am writing a paper on SOmething Wicked this Way Comes. It's on the topic of what influenced his writing. aka, personal experiences, family. You have to relate this from the book using proof.

I have many ideas, such as his fear of carnivals and meeting mr. electro etc. but I cannot find any conencting to his family.

Such as His uncle, or grandfather.

Any ideas on this.
and any other helpful topics.

ryan

Posts: 4 | Location: Macedon, NY, america | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryanb333,

Please be aware that Ray Bradbury was NOT afraid of carnivals. In fact he found them marvelous, although mystifying and yet colorful with an abundance of personalities and a unique bit of charm.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do believe you are mistaken. As a child, he was scared of carnivals. He did, however, enjoy circus shows. But he has always never liked carnival shows since his first ride on a carousel.

ryan

Posts: 4 | Location: Macedon, NY, america | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I have read, he was not afraid of carnivals - perhaps Mr. Weller's upcoming bio will solve this dispute.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryanb333

Hmm!? What was the info you got that makes you think that Ray was afraid of carnivals? (Also: I do believe 'Ryan' is the name of one of Ray's grandkids.)

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In his book, Zen Is the Art of Writing, Bradbury explains his fears that have helped him write. He specifically mentions Carnivals I believe.

But , back to the original subject, do any of you know of a connection?

ryan

posted Hide Post
I will review the Zen and The Art of Writing for clarification on the matter this evening and see what it says, or should I say, what Ray says about it.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He liked carnivals BECAUSE he feared them! He was the sort of kid who LIKES being scared, darn it!

But seriously, how are you supposed to prove a work of fiction is based on an author's life with evidence from the book when it's fiction? You DO need other sources! Guess that's what's being asked for here.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
example-The town in SWTWC represents his home town. Mr. Electrico appears in it always, playing off of the same idea as Mr. Electro.

ryan