Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Uncollected Bradbury Volume 3
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uncollected Bradbury Volume 3
 Login/Join

posted
Hello...

It has been a while since I posted in these forums. Some of you know that I have spent years collecting "uncollected" Bradbury stories. I have combined many of these stories into two volumes using Blurb and am working on the third volume now.

A deal I had with a collector fell through (I was trading my first edition Junkie by William Lee [Burroughs] for a copy of The Martian Chronicles: the Complete Edition). Unfortunately the person I was dealing with ended up being pretty flaky.

My goal is to include the previously unpublished Martian stories in my third volume of uncollected stories. Although these stories are now "collected" - I feel like the $750.00 price of this book is just too high for most people. Honestly, The Martian Chronicles is my favorite book and it is a shame that these stories will remain quite difficult to read.

This brings me to this post. If there is someone who would be willing to provide these stories in a legible format (even a digital photo)... I will give you a .pdf copy of my first two volumes of uncollected stories. A trade... and to entice you guys a bit I am attaching images of the contents.

My passion for Bradbury stories started many years ago during a "boring" summer afternoon and it has never stopped. Let me know if anyone would be interested in trading... and thank you all for looking!

PS - Happy Father's Day!

Imagebradburyucollected.jpg (196 Kb, 47 downloads) Uncollected Bradbury contents

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No bites on this one?

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, those I don't have. I think I sent you all I do but remind me.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi djmonolith.

I bought the book today from Ebay. Once I get it, I will help you. If your offer still stands.

Will probably take a few weeks, until I receive the book.

Posts: 8 | Location: Tallinn, Estonia | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin84:
Hi djmonolith.

I bought the book today from Ebay. Once I get it, I will help you. If your offer still stands.

Congrats on the acquisition...I'm jealous, would love to have that book in my collection, but just can't pull the trigger on the price tag it demands. From pictures I've seen, though, it sure appears to be a beautiful production.

Posts: 28 | Registered: 19 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RonClinton:

Congrats on the acquisition...I'm jealous, would love to have that book in my collection, but just can't pull the trigger on the price tag it demands. From pictures I've seen, though, it sure appears to be a beautiful production.

Thanks for the kind words. If you still want to get it someday, then better get it fast! They are becoming harder to find and the price is going up. There`s one still available on eBay right now for $1200!

I am happy I finally bought it, buy I do regret a missed opportunity a few years back, when Bradbury estate was selling the Bradbury owned copy of the book, for "just" $750, and I passed on it... I miss it now!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martin84,

Posts: 8 | Location: Tallinn, Estonia | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Martin84 needs any assistance, I could be willing to photograph at least a story or two, to help alleviate some of the work on that.

I'd always wanted to own a beautiful, definitive hardcover volume of The Martian Chronicles. When I finally heard about The Complete Edition (a dream come true!), I was dismayed to find out that it had already been sold out for 3 years. I finally managed to get one in 2015 and was lucky enough to win it at auction for $500. That's still a very expensive book, but this was THE book for me and worth every penny.

--SKot

Posts: 16 | Location: Portland, OR, USA | Registered: 23 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi djmonolith.

Did you get the book? Is it as amazing as you expected? I had another seller pull out on an offer. It seems as if this book will forever elude me! Curses!!!! Anyway... are you still up for a trade?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SKotK:
If Martin84 needs any assistance, I could be willing to photograph at least a story or two, to help alleviate some of the work on that.

I'd always wanted to own a beautiful, definitive hardcover volume of The Martian Chronicles. When I finally heard about The Complete Edition (a dream come true!), I was dismayed to find out that it had already been sold out for 3 years. I finally managed to get one in 2015 and was lucky enough to win it at auction for $500. That's still a very expensive book, but this was THE book for me and worth every penny.

--SKot

Hi SKot... I would be happy to share with you too if you are interested! Smiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
quote:
Hi djmonolith.

Did you get the book? Is it as amazing as you expected? I had another seller pull out on an offer. It seems as if this book will forever elude me! Curses!!!! Anyway... are you still up for a trade?

Hi,

Sure, I am still up for it. Write me, my e-mail is: martinkivirand(at)yahoo.com

posted Hide Post
quote:

Hi,

Sure, I am still up for it. Write me, my e-mail is: martinkivirand(at)yahoo.com

Sent! Thank you for reaching out!

posted Hide Post
Thank you Martin84! I hope you are enjoying the uncollected stories...

I thought I would post the current list of stories that I am putting into volume 3. Although there are a couple "uncollected" stories , this volume deals mostly with difficult-to-find and uncommon stories. These are stories that were previously uncollected since their original publications but have since appeared in chapbooks, rare collections, and hard-to-find publications. So, even though they are no longer considered "uncollected" they are still a challenge to obtain for many.

Here is the working list (I hope to add a few more before I create the book):

The Blue Flag of John Folk
Lorelei of the Red Mist
Asleep In Armageddon (collected in The Day It Rained Forever)
Besides a Dinosaur, Whatta Ya Wanna Be When You Grow Up?
Referent (collected in The Day It Rained Forever)
Troll Charge (collected in It Came From Outer Space)
Austin and Justin: the Twins of Time (Collected in The Cat's Pajamas: Stories + 5)
Dead of Summer (Collected in The Martian Chronicles: The Complete Edition)
The Disease (Collected in The Martian Chronicles: The Complete Edition)
The Dragon Who Ate His Tail (published as a chapbook)
Interim (Collected in Dark Carnival)
The Maiden (collected in Dark Carnival)
Jemima True (Collected in The Martian Chronicles: The Complete Edition)
The Marriage (Collected in The Martian Chronicles: The Complete Edition)
Martian Ghosts (Collected in The Martian Chronicles: The Complete Edition)
The Night Sets (collected in Dark Carnival)
Reunion (Collected in Dark Carnival)
Skeleton (anthologised in The Best of Rob Wagner's Script)
The All Had Grandfathers (Collected in The Martian Chronicles: The Complete Edition)
The Wheel (Collected in The Martian Chronicles: The Complete Edition)

Posts: 18 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New to the board so I apologize if this in inappropriate.

Like everyone here I am a huge fan of Ray and in particular The Martian Chronicles. The Volume 3 you are working on is that for your view/reading pleasure? Or is it available to share? I would love to read the extra Martian stories. I have all the other collections from Bradbury that have the rest - except Toynbee - I can not find a copy of that book locally.

As I said if that was inappropriate I apologize.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 April 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board! Below is a list of sources, mostly threads here, about a complete (as much as was ever done) edition of The Martian Chronicles, one of which should contain a list of all Mars-themed stories (set on or going to or coming from Mars) not included in any edition of The Martian Chronicles, and remember different editions of The Martian Chronicles and variant title The Silver Locusts consist of slightly different contents. Some stories are always there, some sometimes there, and some stories set on Mars are never there. If none of these threads contains such a story list, we need to make one, perhaps using Eller and Touponce's Ray Bradbury: The Life of Fiction as a source, though not sure it lists story settings.

Thread asking for such a list, with answers, but I don't know whether the answers are complete:

https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...801028803#1801028803

Thread discussing the only such volume ever produced, mostly complete but may still be missing a few items:

https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...3901/m/601107281/p/1

Thread discussing a reasonably-priced reprint due to the relative impossibility of obtaining the above volume. As of this thread no such volume was in the works and I have heard of nothing of the kind since:

https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...527062295#8527062295

Thread proving that I and four other members of this board came up with the idea for this book years before it was done, for which none of us received acknowledgement or payment. The people gotta no respect, we getta no respect!

https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...901/m/9861056901/p/1

Link to Phil's list of short stories. Settings not given, but alphabetical list is useful for anyone making complete or comprehensive lists of titles, including rare material:

http://pers-www.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/storiesDB.htm

Complete Story Listings thread. Not really complete, but contains rare and uncollected material, notes previously uncollected stories contained in later books, and retitled stories which might otherwise be confused as being overlooked or uncollected:

https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...901/m/1941065901/p/1

Story Classifications Thread. Still incomplete after 15 years, but the most comprehensive list of story types and settings of which I know:

https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...531075901#8531075901

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links. I will read through.

Was really curious about the volumes of unpublished stories he has put together and especially the volume three he is trying to compile. As I said I have the majority through the reprint in the collections and am slowly crossing them off the list of what was in Complete Edition.

The Complete is incredible out of my reach price wise. Unless someone sells it and does not know what it is worth, at which time the honest me will say something.

Thanks for the Silver Locust reminder. I have read the wikipedia page several times and was aware of the British edition. Just never noticed the title change. Now will have to look for a print copy of that.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 02 April 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post