Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Is Bradbury a god to you people?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Bradbury a god to you people?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Wild Gravity, please post more of those neat photos of yourself again.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, you must mean Pastafarian...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Teh Bradbury>
posted
You people dont get it... Ray and Jesus duke it out...who wins?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They would both point out that issues can be solved through means other than violence.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Teh Bradbury:
You people dont get it... Ray and Jesus duke it out...who wins?

Who do you WANT to "win", honey. Ray or the dead guy? Eliminate the timeframe and you're still posed with scientific mind vs. magician. Apples and oranges. No need for an all nighter on this...unless you REALLY want to.

Posts: 21 | Location: Ubiquitous | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are for you, purrfectgirl, especially the second one:

"Suffering is all part of what God has called you to. Jesus, who suffered for you, is your example. Follow in his steps. He never sinned, and he never deceived anyone. He did not retaliate when he was insulted. When he suffered, he did not threaten to get even. He left his case in the hands of his Father, who always judges fairly."
1st Peter, chapter 2, vs. 21-23

"I want to remind you that in the last days before the world ends, there will come those, both old and the young, who will laugh at the truth. They will make fun of Jesus and deny he is alive. This will be their argument: "Jesus promised to come back, did he? Then where is he? Why, as far back as anyone can remember, everything has remained exactly the same since the beginning of the world."
2nd Peter, chapter 3, vs. 3-4

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
These are for you, purrfectgirl, especially the second one:

"Suffering is all part of what God has called you to. Jesus, who suffered for you, is your example. Follow in his steps. He never sinned, and he never deceived anyone. He did not retaliate when he was insulted. When he suffered, he did not threaten to get even. He left his case in the hands of his Father, who always judges fairly."
1st Peter, chapter 2, vs. 21-23

Why suffer? Anyone who calls for you to suffer is also elevating themselves to be your savior. They tell you that they are the only ones that can save you and you owe them for that favor. Sort of like the deal that pimps have with their hookers. They make them suffer and then tell them that they are the only ones that can save them. And I do recall a story about Jesus going off in a temple and wrecking the place because he was pissed off at the "money-changers". The fact that he didn't fight the Romans of that day showed that he had the common sense to not anger people with swords. Yes?

"I want to remind you that in the last days before the world ends, there will come those, both old and the young, who will laugh at the truth. They will make fun of Jesus and deny he is alive. This will be their argument: "Jesus promised to come back, did he? Then where is he? Why, as far back as anyone can remember, everything has remained exactly the same since the beginning of the world."
2nd Peter, chapter 3, vs. 3-4

I do not laugh at people who believe in what they have been told. I respect people who live by their faith. I don't make fun of Jesus. That's childish. He is dead, however. And he did perform some "miracles" according to the writings and the understanding of the people of that time. And anyone who has done even the least bit of research in the field of anthropology and/or archiology would never say that "everything has remained exactly the same since the beginning of the world".

Posts: 21 | Location: Ubiquitous | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
purrfectgirl: It's NOT about anthropology. It's about how people think. Suffering is absolutely inescapable. But it can be a wasted experience. That's what Jesus is talking about. Don't waste it! Suffering is often experienced by being compassionate. There is suffering in a person when he extends his emotions to the abused. Suffering comes to one thru injustice. Suffering comes thru the despair of coming to grips with one's insufficiencies. Suffering from the consequences of one's wrong choices does little if nothing is learned. THAT is the suffering talked about that Jesus went thru.

One other mention. The event of Christ coming back from the dead was so astounding thruout the known world, that the calendar was stopped. And it began again with the year one.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
purrfectgirl: It's NOT about anthropology. It's about how people think. Suffering is absolutely inescapable. But it can be a wasted experience. That's what Jesus is talking about. Don't waste it! Suffering is often experienced by being compassionate. There is suffering in a person when he extends his emotions to the abused. Suffering comes to one thru injustice. Suffering comes thru the despair of coming to grips with one's insufficiencies. Suffering from the consequences of one's wrong choices does little if nothing is learned. THAT is the suffering talked about that Jesus went thru.

One other mention. The event of Christ coming back from the dead was so astounding thruout the known world, that the calendar was stopped. And it began again with the year one.

Thank you! I love what you wrote here. I don't know if I equate compassion with suffering. This may just be semantics, but I equate "suffering" as long-term pain as opposed to short term.

But the calendar dates (BC and AD) are in reference to the birth of Jesus, not the death. And they are a few years off in actuality.

posted Hide Post
You're both right. The calendar does refer to Christ's birth, but it is because he rose from the dead that Christianity spread as it did (and does). Just ask all those martyrs. You will get the chance.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post