Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    So, whom besides Ray is your favorite sci-fi author?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, whom besides Ray is your favorite sci-fi author?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I guess my two favorite Harlan Ellison stories--the ones I remember the most--are "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" and "A Boy and His Dog". Just great stories.

One of my favorite collections is: "The Essential Ellison: A 35-Year Retrospective". Nemo Press, 1987. A massive collection of great stories.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In no particular order:

Wells
PK Dick
Asimov
Heinlein
Shelley
William Gibson
Stanislaw Lem
Pierre Boulle (sp?)
Frederik Pohl
Matheson
Serling

and the oft over-looked:

STAN LEE!!!

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good list.

I have to add Robert E. Howard to the list. His Conan and Soloman Kane stories sucked me completely in. I felt I was actually in another world as I read and literally lost all track of time. Fantastic stuff.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
I guess my two favorite Harlan Ellison stories--the ones I remember the most--are "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" and "A Boy and His Dog". Just great stories.

One of my favorite collections is: "The Essential Ellison: A 35-Year Retrospective". Nemo Press, 1987. A massive collection of great stories.

Hello Mr. Dark: I own #879 of 1226 signed, numbered and slipcased delux editions of that book. I have often wondered as to the significance of the 1226?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm . . . perhaps if I had my own signed, numbered and slipcased delux edition, I might just be able to figure out the significance of that number . . .

Ohhhh haaaa haaaa haaaa . . . (supposed do be a sinister laugh)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Ohhhh haaaa haaaa haaaa . . . (supposed do be a sinister laugh)

Here's how you do a good sinister laugh: "bwa ha ha ha ha!"

It's the "bwa" that does it!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
It's the "bwa" that does it!

What holds up Barbara Walters bosom?

Jeopardy!

(Later on I'll probably regret this bad joke)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if it's bad jokes you want, the one that's been going around here (though not new) is:

Q: What's the difference between Brussels sprouts and boogers?

A: Kids won't eat Brussels sprouts!

Eeeeeww!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Brussel Sprouts!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I do too. It's definitely one of those things (like liver & onions - my favourite!) that folks either love or hate.
Fortunately, I live near the Brussels Sprouts Capital of the World! We get them in the markets around here still on the stalk.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks Mr. Dark, I just finished the book I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. It was a scream! I loved it. I have The Essential and per your recommendation, I have ordered Deathbird Stories from Amazon. I like him a lot! Lordshen, I also really enjoy reading Gibson's works, you have a great list too.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone out there read "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"?
How about "Cosmicomics" by Calvino?

posted Hide Post
hey....gamsa hamnida, that really helped. Are you Korean too?

-amber

Posts: 2 | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Has anyone out there read "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"?

Aye - brilliant! And how about Red Dwarf? Hilarious!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Amber, no, I'm not Korean. I just know a few phrases...Glad I could help, though!