Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    So, whom besides Ray is your favorite sci-fi author?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, whom besides Ray is your favorite sci-fi author?
 Login/Join

posted
I loved Heinlein for years and I've read and own virtually everything he has written with my favorite being Stranger In A Strange Land. Lately I have heavily gotten into Theodore Sturgeon. When I'm finished with my current book though, I am trying out some Harlan Ellison that comes highly recommended at work. So, just curious who your second or third choices are for science fiction authors. Feel free to expound.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I like Philip K. Dick too but haven't read a whole lot yet...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I wrote to Robert Heinlein and received two post cards from him. The second of which he stated that he was too busy writing to correspond with me. What a contrast to Ray!

However, I would say Clarke and then Heinlein.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll gloss over my discomfort with the label sci-fi, and just answer the question...

My faves apart from RB are Harlan Ellison (yes, rocket, highly recommended!) and Theodore Sturgeon.

And then PKD and Richard Matheson.

I also greatly admired the first four or five novels by Christopher Priest, but somehow lost track of his work some time ago.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have to say Michael Crighton.

His Timeline and Jurrasic Park stories are my niche.

"to be or not to be"
will shakespeare

"...uh what's that mean."
---me

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the ones cited: Robert Heinlein, Theodore Sturgeon, Harlan Ellison, and Philip K. Dick.

I would also (quickly, as I'm getting ready to go to work) add these: Robert Silverberg, Clifford Simak, Isaac Asimov, Arther C. Clark, Stephen Donaldson, Brian Aldiss, and others.

Gotta run.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic
quote:
I'll gloss over my discomfort with the label sci-fi, and just answer the question...

Phil, I thought of that belatedly. I'm so into science fiction that I clumped him in, Ray is not only my favorite science fiction author, he is my favorite in all genres. Good point! I will more than likely start I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream today after finishing American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Mr. Dark, I like Simak too. I know I'm on the right track as far as authors go, I was just curious what all of you liked too in sci-fi, thanks.

posted Hide Post
Was just talking to a guy at lunch today about "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". It was one of my favorite stories back when I read it. Hope you enjoy it, also.

Did you enjoy American Gods? I have purchased it, but have not yet read it.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jules Verne.
Douglas Adams.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, I just started reading it and it is my first time reading Ellison, seems amazing so far. The introduction was by Ted Sturgeon who I also like. Can you recommend any other Ellison books that stand out? American Gods was amazing, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm a new fan. I liked the premise, characters, writing style, everything. He gives a nod to Ellison by the way in the acknowledgments at the end of the book. I hope you enjoy it too.

posted Hide Post
I'll try to remember to check at home.

posted Hide Post
Cool, appreciate it Mr. D. That reminds me of the Stones song, Dancin With Mr. D, wonder if it meant Mr. Dark. Now that I think about it, I don't believe it did, there's that other Mr. D that they're always singing about and have sympathy for...

B-Two, thanks for your input. I still have The Mysterious Island or something to that affect which I have not read but remember you recommending somewhere.

posted Hide Post
VANCE AANDAHL
http://www.jeremysilman.com/movies_tv_va/aandahl_bio.html..

I enjoyed the early and even some of the later Aandahl...tho years later it seems he went into some unexplored region of outer space religion or somesorts. Otherwise, many of his stories are still very entertaining!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorites, in order, with standouts:

Bradbury (all), Simak (City), C. M. Cornbluth (The Little Black Bag), Asimov (Foundation series, etc), Heinlein (The Door Into Summer), Clarke (Childhood’s End).

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Collier has been mentioned here in the past as being an influence on Mr. B. I really liked "Green Thoughts" which was the inspiration for "Little Shop Of Horrors".

Also, Curt Siodmak's "Donovan's Brain" is a great story, well-written, and the radio production with Orson Welles is chilling. The '50s movie was good too.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post