Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    ray's car?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ray's car?
 Login/Join

posted
hello, im new here. long time fan of RB.

was driving the other day and passed a car driving up the pacific coast with the plates "FH 451". the driver also sure looked like Mr. Bradbury.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impossible--Ray Bradbury does not drive.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
divbis0

The only person I know that had that license number, as well as the license number F 451... was Forrest J. Ackerman. He may or may not be driving anymore.

Ray never drove a car, never had a license, never learned to drive. His wife would drive him around, and, as far as I recall, never had a vanity license plate.

Ray is driven around today by Mr. Patrick who you will find now and then writing on this board as... FH 451. Hmmm!!!

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 06-28-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless Forry sold the plate or something, maybe it was him. At least in my state, vanity plates go with the owner--not the vehicle.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience a year or two ago. I was driving up the 101 towards Santa Barbara when I found myself behind a car with a similar (or maybe the same) license plate.

I pulled along side and there was Ray (it was definitely him as I had met him twice) in the passenger seat. I believe he was going to a writer's conference in Sant Barbara as he was scheduled to appear there later that day.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
summerrunner-- yes in fact i passed him on northbound 101 just south of carpenteria, headed toward santa barb.

it was a slightly aging black limo.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's my car, with the FH 451 plates, which I've had for years, and on a number of my cars. And which is not that aging limo, its a new cady sedan.

As far as Ray B. driving it, maybe so if I drank too much.

Take care
Patrick

Posts: 89 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, let the vision and hearing-impaired unlicensed guy be the designated driver.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking with Ray some time ago he mentioned that he has a Jaguar in his one car garage that he bought many years ago for $12,000 and that recently someone offered him $80,000 for it. He said that he is driven in it once in a while to an event. Perhaps Patrick can confirm this.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'Tis interesting that in some of the more recent stories written in first person (e.g. those in "One More For The Road") the subject drives. As I recall, this never used to be the case in Ray's earlier first person stories (e.g. "The First Night Of Lent").
Sure, an' there's a good bit o' drinkin' in many o' these tales, though...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane 1

Patrick will have to speak for himself...

But the only Jag I know they had was an old XKE, that his wife Maggie owned and drove. Never heard of Ray himself driving it, since I never heard of him driving at all.
Furthermore, it would have to be mighty mighty might fine XKE to be worth $80 thousand. A pristine convertible, perhaps, but this one was a coupe as I remember.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's about a 73-74 somewhere in there, But it's not worth, nearly the amount. someone made an offer, without seeing it first. for one it has a corvette engine, someelse talked them into putting in years ago. Has alot of kick,
RB's never driven in his life.

As far as me drinking, Not when I'm driving my commercial car. I can't take a cab or bus to work.

Take care
Patrick

[This message has been edited by FH 451 (edited 07-03-2004).]

Posts: 89 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick, thanks for your comment on Ray's Jaguar. I don't know how it came up in the conversation one day that I was speaking with Ray but he mentioned that he had paid $12,000 for the car and recently someone had offered him $80,000 for it. I may have misheard Ray as it does seem like a lot of money.

Oh, now I remember how it came up. I was speaking to Ray about when I first met him back in 1967 when he, Marguerite and one of their daughters was at an art store and a cab driver had taken me there when another of his daughters at home told me where they were.

I remembered Marguerite driving home (yes, Ray never has driven. Period. Due to a good friends' death in an automobile accident when Ray was young) in a Volvo station wagon.
Ray said that he didn't remember what car it may have been, but that he had this Jag in the garage.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post