Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    fahrenheit 451 time setting

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fahrenheit 451 time setting
 Login/Join

posted
At what point in time is Fahrenheit 451 set?? Please help Smiler

murray headrick

Posts: 2 | Location: edinburgh | Registered: 01 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi muzza. Did you look in the book itself? There might be some clues in there!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found some of the book quite confusing so i could't really pin point a time. some sources say just after 1990 and some say it's in the 24th century.

murray headrick

Posts: 2 | Location: edinburgh | Registered: 01 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think a year is ever specified in the book, so you have to infer when it is set. As far I recall, only one date is ever mentioned, when Montag says "We've started and won two atomic wars since 1960" - so clearly the story is set after that date. (It was published in 1953, so 1960 was the near future at that time.)

How far past 1960 is it set? That's up to you: how much you think the technology and structure of society has changed, and how fast you think those things happen.

But don't be fooled: it's not a predictive work, and it's not really about the future. (Similarly, George Orwell's NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR isn't literally about the year 1984.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it is taking place in the present... Wink

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some ways it's an alternate universe, but even so, a new movie should be made soon before technology renders the story obsolete! Firemen coming along sucking stories out of people's ereader devices just doesn't pack the punch of dudes with flamethrowers!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to Bradubury's short story "The Fireman" the year is 2052. If you love "Fahrenheit 451," then you should read the stories that led to the book. All the stories are collected under the title "A Pleasure to Burn."
I find it interesting to see the growth of Bradbury's writing and the pointed differences that the short stories have versus "Fahrenheit 451".

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shortcake:
All the stories are collected under the title "A Pleasure to Burn."

More so in Match To Flame.

Jon Eller's lecture at CalTech a few weeks ago was all about this very topic. And it was excellent!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post