Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    DARK CARNIVAL paperback reprint

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DARK CARNIVAL paperback reprint
 Login/Join

posted
The UK division of Harper Collins is reprinting Ray Bradbury' first book DARK CARNIVAL. It will be available as a paperback or ebook on December 22, 2022.

https://harpercollins.co.uk/pr...riant=39874554921038

Bookdepository.com is a good place to order for US readers.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the news, Linnl! Ray Bradbury had resisted allowing DARK CARNIVAL to be re-printed until he was finally convinced to allow Gauntlet Press to publish a limited edition, after which he said the book would not be re-printed again. Obviously, his estate has now decided differently. Given the very high prices commanded these days for the Arkham House first edition and the Gauntlet Press volume, I'm glad to see that readers will soon be able to purchase DARK CARNIVAL in a reasonably priced edition! Hopefully, it will also be published here in the U.S.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am steadfast in my perusals of out-of-the-way, small town, and long-running book sale locations with roomfuls of old, retired editions. One Never Knows!
The Gauntlet Press Edtion (2001) is an impressive work within our RB Library. However, to discover one of these would be amazing: https://upload.wikimedia.org/w...rnival_originall.jpg

Linnl's lead via Bookdepository.com is encouraging. Any advise in considering them for an edition!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451 wrote:
quote:
Any advise in considering them for an edition!?

Yes. Bookdepository.com is often my go to for a Tolkien book or calendar (the UK releases), sometimes a hard to find book, shipping is free and packaging is usually very secure, and books are usually discounted some. Ray Bradbury's DARK CARNIVAL, as mentioned, is listed by them for pre-order. Hope this is helpful.

Best regards to one and all.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linnl, I did visit their site, which is quite extensive with volumes of RB editions from throughout the decades, as with countless other authors!!
Fees and shipping seem quite agreeable. Thank you!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of a U.K. release of DARK CARNIVAL, the first release of Ray's first book in the U.K. occurred in 1948 (the year after the Arkham House U.S. release), and is also a valuable, sought after collector's item. The book was published by Hamish Hamilton, and had wonderfully creepy dust jacket art by artist Michael Ayrton. You can check out the U.K. first edition of DARK CARNIVAL by clicking on the link below:

http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/imag.../7e/DRKCRNVL1948.jpg

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post