Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New Bradbury collection coming from Subterranean
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Bradbury collection coming from Subterranean
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
That's it, Phil, rub it in. I really wanted "Match to Flame". Maybe someday in my dreams! Red Face)

I also wanted "Masks". What happened to that one?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, yet another curious release by Sub Press. Sure now these stories can now get out to the masses at a cheaper price, but there are still copies available from Gauntlet, and now Gauntlet will probably be stuck with them for a long time.

It seems that Sub Press wants to release a complete set of their own Bradbury releases whether they've been released by other small presses or not.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gguthrie:
Yea, yet another curious release by Sub Press. Sure now these stories can now get out to the masses at a cheaper price, but there are still copies available from Gauntlet, and now Gauntlet will probably be stuck with them for a long time.

It seems that Sub Press wants to release a complete set of their own Bradbury releases whether they've been released by other small presses or not.

Nothing strange about it. Gauntlet bought certain rights, though they erroneously claim on the flap to MATCH that the material will never be reprinted. I have a copy of the book, really liked the contents, and saw potential there for the book to be read by a much larger audience, so I made Mr. Bradbury's agent an offer, which they accepted.

MASKS, in my opinion, wouldn't have as broad an appeal as A PLEASURE TO BURN. Nor would IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. Some books published by small presses really are for specialized audiences, some can have wider appeal.

Best,

Bill

Subterranean Press
www.subterraneanpress.com

Posts: 12 | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I love what your press is doing for Ray Bradbury's work. Please ardently continue.
I hope there is a way to incorporate some of Joseph Mugnaini work in PLEASURE TO BURN.
If you have BRADBURY: AN ILLUSTRATED LIFE by Jerry Weist, please consider the Fahrenheit 451 artwork on page 84.
Whatever you do I'm sure it'll be great!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to it myself....

Yes, Barnes and Noble Online still has copies for just under $100. I never got around to picking it up, and probably wouldn't have more than likely. I'll be more than happy to snap up a Sub copy though.

Bill, now if you could have only done DARK CARNIVAL Smiler

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carcosa:
Looking forward to it myself....

Yes, Barnes and Noble Online still has copies for just under $100. I never got around to picking it up, and probably wouldn't have more than likely. I'll be more than happy to snap up a Sub copy though.

Bill, now if you could have only done DARK CARNIVAL Smiler

From an editorial standpoint, I thought DARK CARNIVAL was one of Gauntlet's better efforts. I think our presentation, especially at that price point, would have included making the book's trim size a little larger and printing it in two colors.

Ah well, we publishers all have our own preferences and shortcomings. Lord knows I've got mine.

Best,

Bill

Subterranean Press
www.subterraneanpress.com

Posts: 12 | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually do like Gauntlet's DARK CARNIVAL volume...I just tend to like the art direction of Subterranean's books the best of the small press publishers. I've been a bit harsh in the past regarding the Gauntlet books but I've come around a bit. They seem to be a labor of love on their end and I do appreciate that.

One of the things I wish could have happened with the slew of Bradbury limiteds we've had is the inclusion of Joe Mugnaini's art. He is synonymous with Ray's work and it was nice to see Gauntlet's HALLOWEEN TREE make use of his work there...

I really need to get copies of the LEC editions...

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad somebody reissued Dark Carnival - where else are you going to get it? Somewhere on eBay for a couple thousand dollars? If you're lucky. But it was a great edition.

Last October as I was visiting Donn Albright in Ray's garage (digging thru stuff), I had him sign my Dark Carnival, and he pointed out an editing error to me which he said that Bill Nolan of all people had caught!

Error or no, I still love this volume!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I'm just glad somebody reissued Dark Carnival

Doug: This edition of Dark Carnival is still up for bid: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...IT&item=120405224187

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that place!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved "Dark Carnival". I picked up two--one as a collector and one to mark up as I read (I'm a bit compulsive in my marking. Tough for me to ready anything good without marking as I read.) If I could change one thing on "Dark Carnival", I would have enlarged the magazine covers and printed them in color. But a great work and I'm glad and proud to have it. I also got "It Came From Outer Space". I am recently laid off again, and I may never be in a position to purchase "Masks" or "Match to Flame"--both of which I would love to own.

I'm grateful to the small presses running Bradbury's works. Great stuff. Keep it coming.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Just noticed moments ago the Subterranean is now taking the preorders for the chapbook called THE SHOP OF THE MECHANICAL INSECTS. Apparently a previously unpublished story!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case this October release's cover art has not been seen by you.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

ImageWhereEverythingEnds.jpg (39 Kb, 16 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow...that's a nice looking cover. Thanks for posting that, John.

Just read the description at the Subterranean site. At 784 pages that's gonna be a doorstop... of murder.

Yeah, that was awful, but I couldn't resist.

--
jJ

Posts: 61 | Location: United States | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetJagger:
...At 784 pages that's gonna be a doorstop... of murder.

Sounds like a remake of "Lamb to the Slaughter". Detectives come round to question the widow, and she makes them read this very large book as a way of distracting them from the truth about the murder weapon.

Anyhoo, now that's what I call cover art!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post