Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New Bradbury collection coming from Subterranean
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Bradbury collection coming from Subterranean
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yeah... Bill has truly entered the Bradbury arena and if it's anything like the excellent quality of I Sing The Body Electric and Farewell Summer I am truly happy about it! You go Bill wit your bad self!

Phil

Posts: 8 | Registered: 19 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following information was posted on the website of Subterranean Press, regarding their forthcoming Bradbury releases:

"Ray Bradbury:

We’ve received the stories (one of them unpublished, as well as a previously unpublished treatment for a screenplay), as well as a copy of a full color painting by Mr. B for his collection of robot stories, provisionally titled Marionettes, Inc. Also on the Bradbury front, Mr. B’s longtime friend and bibliographer Donn Albright dug out material for the mystery omnibus we’ll be publishing next year, including the 64-year-old unpublished tale, 'Where Everything Ends,' that formed the basis for Death is a Lonely Business.

Along with the material for next year’s Bradbury stories, Vincent Chong just turned in the striking cover for Summer Morning, Summer Night, the gathering of 27 Green Town stories slated for a Halloween release."

Posts: 2468 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of that sounds pretty good. I like the idea of a robot collection, too!

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received Skeletons today. Nice yucky illustrations by Dave McKean.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recieved mine today too! Its a pretty nice although I'm not real big on chapbooks. But $15 was a LOT cheaper than the limited edition hardcover at $750. But there were only 16 of those. Big Grin

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, Saturday, June 21, 2008, I also received my copy of Skeletons. The art on the cover by McKean gives it an instant vintage look.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Vincent Chong just turned in the striking cover for Summer Morning, Summer Night, the gathering of 27 Green Town stories slated for a Halloween release."

And that cover is finally visible. Striking!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree, that is a very beautiful cover.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While the Subterranean Press cover is very nice, I personally prefer the dust jacket art of the PS Publishing version of SUMMER MORNING, SUMMER NIGHT done by Ray Bradbury himself. Incidentally, Ray told me that his cover drawing of the PS Publishing edition is that of the Waukegan, Illinois home of Ray's grandparents:

http://store.pspublishing.co.uk/acatalog/dandelion_wine..._edition_deluxe.html

Posts: 2468 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK...I'm gonna say it although I'm probably in the monority here...

Well...as interesting as some of RB's art is, and I AM fond of it...it's NOT his forte.

I would have rather seen Joe Mugnaini's work on the covers of Gauntlet's HALLOWEEN TREE and OCTOBER COUNTRY.

And I would have LOVED to have seen a professional illustrator adorn the cover and interior pages of DARK CARNIVAL...

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know. Admittedly I love his artwork, and think that it somehow "goes" with his books in the same manner which Bob Dylan's voice goes with his songs. He's simply the best interpreter of his own work.

Clearly writing is Ray's forte, but that's not to suggest that he can't be a good artist, as well.

I take your point.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jerry Weist's book "Ray Bradbury: An Illustrated Life" has an interesting section which shows some of Bradbury's original concept art and then a "proper" artist's implementation of it, usually Mugnaini. I think that was the right way to go; Bradbury has good ideas for visual art, but he often doesn't have the techniques.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Bradbury has good ideas for visual art, but he often doesn't have the techniques.

Phil,

Yet, I have a Bradbury Doodle proudly framed and displayed in my office.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doodle a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
How do I doodle a good word?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post