Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Something Wicked This Way Comes

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something Wicked This Way Comes
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all. I am new here.

I was looking for the poem Ray Bradbury wrote for his book Something Wicked This Way Comes.

I read the story a long time ago, and I loved that poem. It is wonderfully haunting. And it has been nagging at my brain lately.

My local library no longer has the book and has seen no need to order it.

Could someone post the poem or send it to me via e-mail?.

I suppose I should buy the book, but all I really want, (right now anyway) is that poem.

Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: Tooele, UT | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are refering to the " by the pricking of my thumbs something wicked this way comes"
I think that quote was from another author, there could be someone on this BB such as Dandelion, Fpalumbo, Crumley, Flyboy, or any number of regulars, or those in the wings, that could help you access that particular verse, my local copy is checked out until 5/11/02 so unless I go buy a copy all I have is the dust to knock between my ears till then. Maybe they could answer that one? I would like to know myself.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 04-22-2002).]

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22 | Location: San Pedro, CA | Registered: 05 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." is a quote from Shakespear's MacBeth, act IV.

Posts: 10 | Location: Genesee, ID, USA | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure it is, but I don't know that I'd call that a poem. There was a poem on a car ad which used the line, but it wasn't by Shakespeare or Bradbury, just the folks at Lexus or whatever the car was.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what the poem might be (without skimming/re-reading the whole novel). That line from MACBETH is fantastic, isn't it? I also love the quote from MOBY DICK that Bradbury used: "I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing." Inspirational.
Quite a number of Bradbury's works, like SOMETHING WICKED, take their titles from other authors' works; the titles of many of his poems quote or paraphrase Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson and others, "The Golden Apples of the Sun" is from Yeats ... and I'm sure there are others.

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Drummer Boy Of Shiloh" may come from poems and songs from the 1860's, some authored others anonymous.

I always recall from Dandelion Wine what the old Civil War Colonel (Col. Freeleigh) said to the boys about the name "Shiloh":
"There's never a year been in my life I haven't thought, what a lovely name and what a shame to see it only on the battle records."

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He'd be pleased to know there's an award-winning "Shiloh" series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor which has nothing to do with war, but concerns a boy and his dog. The dog is named Shiloh because it was found near a church of that name.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post