Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    UPCOMING RAY BRADBURY EVENTS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPCOMING RAY BRADBURY EVENTS
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hey, that's Lieutenant Uhura from Star Trek next to Ray in the Planetary Society pic! Rad.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Now you are talking, a Rock Star luxury RV...fitting Ray's status.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3000$ a week? A bargain!

Looks like it would hold plenty of folks (hint).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah! And I could document the trip kind of like "reality TV"!

RB could spout his large philosophies to all the folks out in TV Land! Aw, this is big!

He could sip his French Merlot and dictate a new short story every morning!

Big ain't the word for it!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
Hey, that's Lieutenant Uhura from Star Trek next to Ray in the Planetary Society pic! Rad.

And the second man on the moon, Buzz Aldrin!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray will be speaking (as he does every year for the last 30-some years)...at the Santa Barbara Writers Conference, Santa Barbara, California in June, 2007.

Check out the exact time and place at this link, which covers ALL the speakers as well. To hear Ray speak in person at this conference (open to the public) has been less than $20. in the past. Recordings will be available as online purchase.
http://www.sbwritersconference.com/june_guest_speakers.php

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury Appearnce Update:

I called the nice lady at the Arts Center today and she says that seating will be first-come first-serve; no ticketing system.

Torrance Cultural Arts Center
3330 Civic Center Drive
Torrance,CA

Not far from the Del Amo Fashion Mall

Friday, May 25 @ 7 p.m. (Doors open at 6:30 p.m.)

Price: FREE

Box Office: 310-750-6001

Anybody want to get together for a late lunch or late dinner? I'm suggesting artery clogging Lucille's Smokehour Bar-Q-Que.

http://www.lucillesbbq.com/

jkt@earthlink.net

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt:

I'll be there! Since it's first come, first served, better get there early.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do let's!

But before, for a late lunch, or afterward, for supper? Depends on who can come and what time. Mr Trask?

Let's invite Ray out afterwards for drinks.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
p.s. Remember to allow an extra two days travel time since this is Memorial Day weekend get away day.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
So, what happened with the Pulitzer Prize ceremony? Anybody know?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look forward to seeing ya'll Friday night.

Patrask, Nard, Doug: My plans have changed so I won't be able to meet for an early dinner. If you guys meet please have an extra piece of pie in my name.

Nard: If you don't have my cell number get it from Doug or Patrask just in case there is a full house.

jkt@earthlink.net

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I have waited for the actual day to pass before sharing this anecdote, as I had planned definitely to travel to NYC. I recently posted a question wondering who may have received the award in Mr. B's place.

I had sent Mr. Bradbury a letter (1st week of May) and a package containing an extensive scroll (25' long), signed by nearly 200 students and many staff members from our school. It was extensively illustrated from "Dark Carnival" to "Farewell, Summer," had Pulitzer related congratulations and admirations from all who appreciate him here in our HS building. My choice of the scroll had to do with the historic significance such a mode of recording tales has had throughout the past two millenium. (The students did much of the work finding people, bookcovers, movie scenes, characters, titles..., while a few of my "future journalists" took the lead in organizing things, including the layout of the dozens of pictures gleaned from an on-line media center research session.)

From dinosaurs 63 million yrs. ago to future worlds many centuries yet to tell of, we tried to thank Mr. Bradbury by displaying the countless images he has created through his writings, and also for the years of correspondence he has so graciously shared with us from time to time.

Our messages were received in LA on Monday (5/7) afternoon, and my phone rang that very evening, 9:30 EST. From the outer room, my wife's excited voice clued me something was up! It was apparent by her beaming smile a good exchange awaited as I took the phone.

Mr. Bradbury called to let me know (and all of those who took part in the project) just how much he appreciated our thoughts and love in sending him the scroll. (It was so extensive, I had suggested in an attached note that assistance may be needed while viewing it and then rerolling.)

I will not attempt to paraphrase his remarks, but, by all means, they were moving and sincere throughout our conversation. He did indicate the NYC Pulitzer event was too much for such a brief period of time that he actually would have to be there. He indicated that he was doing very well and had several projects in the works. (He sounded great!)

F451's progress was one topic that seemed to especially fire up his passion. In any event, he took time to speak with both of us on a few topics, and then he reminded me that his 87th birthday was drawing near. I cajoled him a bit, "You said your "37th" birthday is this summer?!"

He fired right back, "No, I am actually still 12 years old!"

True! True!

Before we ended the conversation, I told him I would like for my boys to speak with him at some time. He has seen photos of them growing up (now 11 and almost 9). So, after telling us he would enjoy talking with them next time, he add, "Now, as soon as you get off the phone, go into the boys' rooms, and give them both a great big hug from me!"

Of course, we did just that.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Patrask, Nard, Doug: My plans have changed so I won't be able to meet for an early dinner. If you guys meet please have an extra piece of pie in my name.

Will do.

Let's try to get Mr B to go out for a refreshing beverage after, eh? Think he'll be up for it?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...I have waited for the actual day to pass before sharing this anecdote...

And what an anecdote! Truly a great Bradbury story - thanks for sharing!

"Live Forever!"