Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    UPCOMING RAY BRADBURY EVENTS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPCOMING RAY BRADBURY EVENTS
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The kids that were at the Ray Bradbury talk in Torrance were the icing on the cake for me. A whole new generation, and not of the ethnic background that would know what life was like in Greentown, Ill., but who would understand the Wonderful Ice cream Suit story. They came in every shade of tone and their eyes were flashing with interest to hear Ray talk. He showed them the spark that he received from Mr. Electrico and truly passed that electricity on to those in the audience. The smaller kids were asked to come to the front of the room and assemble at the feet of the master, and they were well behaved, and interested in what Ray said. I turned to a couple of young ladies behind me in the line to get our books signed and asked them were they came from. One said Mexico and the other, I beleive, El Salvador. I told them how I read of the mummies in Guanajuato from Ray's stories. They did not know about that, but knew of his other more famous works. Ray did more good in this one night to bring the joy of learning and of good literature to a new generation, whatever their backgrounds, than a whole year of regular school. He has been doing this event for some 57 years and never asks for a fee. That is why he is Ray Bardbury, who will now "live forever" in the hearts of these wonderful new readers.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RB is truly deserving of the Nobel Prize in Literature and for Peace!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Pandemonium Press:

RAY BRADBURY’S GREEN TOWN
Opening Night – June 22

Ray Bradbury’s Green Town is a themed evening, a deft mix of fantasy and nostalgia, set in the mythical town of Green Town, Illinois – probably suggested by Bradbury’s own birthplace, Waukegan. It’s an indeterminate time, somewhere around 1930, perhaps, where trees line streets surrounded by abundant flora, giving the locale its name. It’s a place where businesses are locally owned, their proprietors are known to all, as are people’s neighbors. It’s a peaceful town…until fantastic events begin to intrude. Green Town is not a sleepy little Midwest town; it is a portal to a world of amazing adventures, where shackles are removed from the imagination and the impossible becomes reality.

Young boys discover the secrets of time travel and visit sights and sounds of decades past.
An ancient mummy materializes and electrifies the village.
A famous novelist appears in town – this writer is supposed to be dead! Yet the writer meets a soul mate and falls in love.

How can this be? With Ray Bradbury as the wizard behind the story, there can be no doubt as to the wonder and magic.

Two-thirds of this material have never previously been included in any Bradbury theatrical adaptation. Produced by Ray Bradbury and Racquel Lehrman and directed by Alan Neal Hubbs, the cast includes Michael Prichard, Georgan George, Paul Bond, Philip Sokoloff, Anders Asbjornsen, Matthew Bond, Gabe Hahn, Cole Rainey, David Fox-Brenton and Roses Prichard.
Production Stage Manager is Elliott Woodruff; Production Design by John Edw. Blankenchip; Costume Design by Howard Schmidt and Lighting Design by Peter Strauss.

Presented at: Fremont Centre Theatre
1000 Fremont Ave. (at El Centro), So. Pasadena, CA 91030
PREVIEW NIGHT: June 21, 2007, at 8 pm
OPENING NIGHT: Friday, June 22, 2007, at 8 pm
CLOSING: Sunday, July 29, 2007 at 3 pm
Regular Performance Schedule: Friday and Saturday at 8 pm; Sundays at 3 pm

ADMISSION: $20. Seniors - $15. Students - $10.
RESERVATIONS AND INFORMATION: 323-960-4451
ONLINE TICKETING: www.plays411.com/raybradbury

. . .Excerpted from Press Release by Philip Sokoloff (showbizphil@sbcglobal.net)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea when Ray's next appearance is in the LA area? My folks are in town.

Mike S.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 15 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_S:
Any idea when Ray's next appearance is in the LA area? My folks are in town.

Mike S.

This Friday night he will be at his play but it is a fund raiser for the Planetary Society and the tickets are $100 each. However, unsold seats will go to walk-ups for the standard $20 per person. Ray usually attends his play each Saturday night but because of the Friday appearance he may not attend the following night.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, this to look forward to:

Question: "When will Fahrenheit 451 be at the Rubicon Theatre in Ventura?"

From Ray Bradbury's lips – "That’s coming in September."

Ventura!? Hey, that's where I live!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks John.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 15 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_S:
Thanks John.

Mike,

When talking to Mr. B last night he mentioned that he was going to join his friend of SEVENTY years, Ray Harryhausen, at Mystery and Imagination, in Glendale on July 23rd at 7 pm. for Ray H's signing event.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
jkt, do you know the rules concerning signing stuff? Only a certain amount allowed signed (I'm sure), only things purchased in the store, will Mr B sign anything here, etcetera?

Thanks!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
jkt, do you know the rules concerning signing stuff? Only a certain amount allowed signed (I'm sure), only things purchased in the store, will Mr B sign anything here, etcetera?

Thanks!

Last year, when Mr. H was in the shop Arnold "allowed" him to whatever was purchased in the store. For stuff brought in Arnold was charging $10 per signature. The Art of Ray Harryhausen is $50 so I doubt the store will have no problem with people bringing in their DVDs. I'll have a few for Mr. H to sign plus a few books for Mr. B where Mr. H has done the introduction. Whew.

Mr. B is going to be there as a guest but I am sure the store will have books and Ray will sign additional stuff.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
jkt:

Is the July 23rd
Mystery and Imagination event
still on?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Yes, the 23rd event with Ray Harryhausen is on for 7 p.m.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
The Duarte Festival of Authors is this Saturday. For more info follow this link:
http://www.duarteonetownonebook.org/

Mr. B is scheduled to attend at 3 p.m.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Dad will also be at Barnes & Noble, Thousand Oaks, on October 21st at noon and at the Venice Library on October 23rd at 5:30.

Smiler Alexandra

Posts: 12 | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alexandra, it is so nice that Ray is getting out and about and, as I have said before, I believe that this activity is what is keeping him so young.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post