Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    UPCOMING RAY BRADBURY EVENTS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPCOMING RAY BRADBURY EVENTS
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Great report. I will try to determine who accepted the Pulitzer unless someone else finds out first.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dandy! And, Doug! When next you speak with Mr. B, please be sure to mention our appreciations for this exchange. When I spoke with the students the next day about the phone call, they were really amazed that such a prominent author would take the time to do such a thing.

We here have experienced his amazing thoughtfulness for many years and should never take it for granted!

(This weekend, pause a moment, say a prayer, be silent, smile, shed a tear, or utter an audible "thank you" for those who have gone to their rest for our freedoms and for loved ones who made a better life for us.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch! What a great thing you've done for your students! They'll always remember that, as will Mr. B.
By the way, I'll be in our small town Memorial Day parade tomorrow!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sundance, Nice! "Wave a flag for all of us." Enjoy!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Thanks, Dandy! And, Doug! When next you speak with Mr. B, please be sure to mention our appreciations for this exchange. When I spoke with the students the next day about the phone call, they were really amazed that such a prominent author would take the time to do such a thing.

Wonderful story and so glad for your students. That story and its lasting effects on those who worked so hard to make it happen is what sets Ray apart from other wordsmiths - it is not the money or the fame he likes - it is the love of those who appreciate how they have been affected by his words. I was lucky enough to have had my daughter meet and hear Ray talk when she was about the ages of your kids. She still treasures the copy of The Halloween Tree that Ray signed and drew a tree on it for her. Now, he WILL live forever in her memory. That's real immortality!

We here have experienced his amazing thoughtfulness for many years and should never take it for granted!

(This weekend, pause a moment, say a prayer, be silent, smile, shed a tear, or utter an audible "thank you" for those who have gone to their rest for our freedoms and for loved ones who made a better life for us.)

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last minute emergencies.
Oh, don't we just love those.
So I may not make it to the Torrance Bradbury talk. It's a 120 mile round trip, not necessartily a hop skip and a jump. Otherwise, I'd hop skip and even jump. (Never forget how immense Los Angeles and surrounding areas covers].
http://bands.army.mil/docs/anthem.mp3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From my perspective…

It was good to see Doug and Nard plus to meet patrask. I am sorry I did not have much time to socialize. Please post what you guys thought of the event; my perspective was a little one sided. Yet, from my vantage point, I was able to listen in on all of Mr. B’s conversations with his fans.

Most heart warming was all the kids that were there. Granted, many were only there as part of a school project but I could see many became converts. Especially when their authority figures, the teachers, were giving Ray his due. I am sure many of those students had never experienced a teacher looking up to somebody before.

Some of the students brought brand new unread copies of F451 to be signed; others their own well-read copies. However, a few brought copies that were handed down by a parent or grandparent. Those that had their pictures taken with Ray I told to come back next year with an 8x10 for Ray to sign. More than one responded with “Really, he’ll do that?” We gotta hook ‘em any way we can. ;-]

Then again, there are the “regulars” who have probably posted their books for sale on eBaY by now.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Then again, there are the “regulars” who have probably posted their books for sale on eBaY by now.

To quote Homer Simpson, "stupid regulars."

Ray has signed nearly every one of his books I own (as well as photos, DVDs, & CDs), and I would never sell them! They're too valuable to me from a personal standpoint.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides, as you said last night John (I believe it was you), it's a rare collectable Bradbury book these days which doesn't have his signature. Perhaps in this way the crafty old master is having the last laugh on "the regulars"!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Crafty old master" ! I like it!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

So do I.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
"...it's a rare collectable Bradbury book these days which doesn't have his signature..."!

We have to remember that we are the lucky ones in that we have Ray with us. Nard remided us that "L.A." is a big place just think of all those poor souls that cannot drive 120 miles round trip to an event (L.A. proper is 525 sq. miles), the ones where 1,200 miles would be one-way. We have to count ourselves as being the lucky ones each time we attend an event or are driving up to the big-yellow-house.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[Addendum]

This week, the 30th anniversary Star Wars convention is in town. There were a few people who identified themselves as having just found out that Ray was talking and they left their convention revelry and took common carrier (NO SMALL FEET IN THIS TOWN)to attend Friday night. One was in town from Arizona another from Maryland. A third accent was from the South.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
We have to count ourselves as being the lucky ones each time we attend an event or are driving up to the big-yellow-house.

We must always count ourselves fortunate, indeed.

Think of folks who knew and walked with Dickens, Twain, etcetera. Now think of Ray. He is no less. In fact, I would consider him greater even.

As a child under the spell of the Master, I never thought that one day I would be able to pull up to that magnificent dandelion-yellow house, enter, and visit!

We must never take this for granted!

We are blessed.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I too count myself as one of his "children" and would consider myself fortunate indeed were I ever to be invited to the Big Yellow.

I live in San Diego, so don't make it up to every signing/talk, but wager I've seen all you Los Angelinos at one point or another.

Cheers,

Bill

Posts: 12 | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post