Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    UPCOMING RAY BRADBURY EVENTS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPCOMING RAY BRADBURY EVENTS
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Any new info of upcoming Bradbury event signings or lectures?

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury will be at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books on Saturday May 28th. From 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm he will be at the Vagabond Books booth, #634, nears the Barnes and Noble stage. At 5:00 pm, Mr B. will be at Royce Hall and is being introduced/interviewed M.G. Lord.

Who is M.G. Lord? From her bio: M. G. Lord is an author and critic. Since 1995, she has been a regular contributor to The New York Times Book Review and The New York Times Arts & Leisure section. Her work has appeared in numerous publications, including ARTNews, Vogue, The Wall Street Journal, The Los Angeles Times Book Review, and The New Yorker Most noted for writing: Forever Barbie: The Unauthorized Biography of a Real Doll and Astro Turf: The Private Life of Rocket Science

jkt@earthlink.net

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooops, make that April 28th. My bad.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know - I picked up my tickets today.

Better get 'em while they're here!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(JOHN) Doug:::

Did you meet with Phil?

Just got home within the hour. It's 8:27PM

nard--

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
(JOHN) Doug:::
Did you meet with Phil?

That I did, sir.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope to see all of you at UCLA tomorrow...even the ones that live across the pond. ;-]

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Boy, are my dogs barking. Ray was as popular as ever at today’s Festival of Books. He signed books for two hours and twenty minutes. I quit counting at the 200th person. After the signings, it was over to Royce hall for a packed house, think sardines. M.G. Lord gave a brief introduction and made mention of the Pulitzer acknowledgement. Of course, there was a standing ovation when he came on stage. Ray talked for about forty-five minutes. At the end, the audience gave an extended ovation to Ray. The longest I have witnessed. It was a lovely day from beginning to end for the man we love and respect so dearly.

Nard: You were missed; sorry Doug had to bother you in trying to find me.
Doug: It was nice to put a face with a name. (I talked to the book shop and a filming in August should be a go.)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
John King: No problem! I wish I had your tele# at hand. I take it Doug finally found you.

John: (aka:jkt): I was telling John (aka: Doug) (this gets complicated sometimes)...that by Royce Hall (where everyone was)...there is a live webcam. I've been able to use that webcam to talk on the cel to friends far away. It's cool. This is a streaming webcam!
The camera is behind a window, up the stairs a bit. If you tune in tomorrow, you'll see the throngs still walking around the Festival of Books.
click on: http://www.uclajapan.gr.jp/webcam.html

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John (jkt), thanks for all your good help!

You've been great all around.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Wow! For the rest of us non-attendees we are all envious of those of you in close proxmity to LA and who were involved in the LA Book Festival. And what a line-up! I looked at the list of events and authors involved. Wow! That's all I can say.

And great for Ray. Still able to get around and his health and strength doing well.

When I spoke with him about a question as to his being able to go to New York to accept his
Pulitzer Citation, I had asked him (in regard to his doctor permitting him to go) if it was because of the sustained period of sitting (almost six hours if I am correct) and Ray said no, that wasn't it, but the altitude.

I mentioned this to my manager, who has heart problems, and he replied that altitude with reference to changing pressures in the cabin could affect someone who has suffered a stroke.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: I should have given you my card at the last play. Doug has it now. I never made it to the front of Royce Hall so I was not in the video feed, luckily for all, but as we entered thru the back of the venue, we could see the end of the line. As people can see from the feed, Royce Hall is a BIG building, as big as any live performance hall…last night it FULL to the rafters of Bradbury devotees.

The attendance is predicted to be 130,000 for the two days. I swear every one was there for Ray.

Doug: Glad I could be of some minor help. Give my best to Forrey.

BiPlane1: Nard and I, independently, suggested that maybe a nice train ride would be fun for Ray. We will see if he can make it to Columbia U. Maybe they can set up a video or audio feed for Ray if he is unable to attend?

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Another Event:
Friday, May 25th
Torrance Civic Center
Toyota Meeting Hall
3330 Civic Center Drive, Torrance, CA
Call 310.618.2376 for more information.

I called the venue and tickets are free. I will call closer to the event time but as of now, they naively do not think the hall will fill-up so there will not be a ticketing system. Just first come, first serve.

This event is sponsored by the Southwest Manuscripters and the fine folks at Vagabond Books will probably be supplying books for signing.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Here is a link to The Planetary Society and Ray's Pulitzer award:

http://planetary.org:80/about/congrats_ray_20070417.html

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt: Ray was adamant about no train ride to New York! Ray's problem would be from air pressure changes in the cabin. Just picked-up a friend of mine from LAX (Los Angeles Airport), and it was a stormy, bouncy flight all the way from Dayton. That would be a big no-no! A casual luxury motor home ride to New York...well, that would work just fine I am sure!! HEY PATRICK! Check this out:
www.realadventures.com/listings/1125130.Luxury-Diesel-RV-Rentals