Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help required...Film:The Illustrated Man.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help required...Film:The Illustrated Man.
 Login/Join

posted
Where could I get a copy of the film The Illustrated Man staring Rod Steiger? I believe it was made by Warner Bros in 1969, Directed by Jack Smight and Mr Bradbury was consultant.

If anyone knows where I could obtain a copy, DVD format or point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Rocketman.

Posts: 24 | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it's only available in Region 1 NTSC (Never Twice the Same Colour - I got that from Phil), but it's a very poor film, and not really worth six pounds, seventy-six.

At any rate, if you still desire it, a copy can be found here.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link below will take to you the 1969 film version of THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, starring Rod Steiger and Claire Bloom, and directed by Jack Smight. The film is currently available for viewing free on YouTube. Despite the talent involved, it is not an especially good film. Still, it's worth a watch. Sadly, Ray Bradbury did not write the screenplay, and the film's script is one of its major faults. Ah, what might have been....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251UTL550GU

Posts: 2452 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly on the Illustrated Man's various miscues throughout the production. With today's technologies what a film this could still be!!

Which raises the Dandelion Wine cinema topic, now that summer has departed and autumn and its full colors have arrived!!

With the right imagination and in the right hands...

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone has acquired film rights to Dandelion Wine, but I think if a film is not made within a certain amount of time, the rights revert to the owner. There was an amateur film made with a premiere and everything.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who may be interested, the link below will take you to a short film about the making of the film version of THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, called "Tattooed Steiger". Ray Bradbury makes a very brief appearance near the end, at about the 9:12 point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23MYTG8kbfo

And for the sake of reader convenience, I will repeat the link to the film itself in this most recent post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251UTL550GU

Posts: 2452 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post