Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Yohohohlayhehe
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yohohohlayhehe
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
ravenswake: EXCELLENT IDEA!

How do we go about it? Just post one main topic? Miscellaneous 2? I'm raring to go.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forthwith and straightaway, may I opine:
In an endeavour to become a polymath, one may succeed in only becoming a dilettente, but at least he will not be nescient.
Or, to quote Thomas ("Fats") Waller:
One never knows, do one?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For amusement?
Are we on this board solely for amusement? I take this board seriously, and we learn a lot from others. As for 'nescient'...that is a word I have not come across, and neither has my pocket 'Random House dictionary'. So I had to look it up elsewhere. Like Google. It appears to have something to do with a lack of knowledge. And we all certainly fall to the prey of insufficient knowledge.

Reading Sam Weller's biography shows me how little I knew about Ray. Interesting to read about the time-lines of the goings on with Bradbury, while I was living in LA.
And in all my visits to the Bradbury home, never noticed a scant detection of disharmony between Ray and Maggie. Ray, some ten years ago, was upset with me that I had sent some goofy thing in the mail and his wife opened it and it got all over the carpet and floor and Ray was concerned with how Maggie took it. Not well.
Or the day I came over the house, uninvited, in the evening ...was ushered in by Maggie and I gabbed about the movie 'Chariots of Fire'... with both Ray and Maggie in the living room listening to my critique. They were charming and hardly a thought had I that they were anything but a close married couple. Even together at writer's conferences, or the opening of a play that had Ray in high energy levels, they were close and a sense of oneness between them.

The info of how Ray wrote early on in life, disappointed that World Fairs did not last but were soon torn down...how the future disappeared...compelling young Ray to write. Most interesting I find what happens when one is not confronted early by his most horrible demons that take pen from hand and hand one a snake instead. Here, the demons fell by Ray's gift of undisturbed passion . If any thing has befallen Bradbury, it is that demon distracting him about death. If the universe is all to one day be destroyed, how can man possibly live eternally in the stars? That is, of course, you believe the universe will someday die.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thoughts, Nard, as usual. I envy you your time with Mr. & Mrs. Bradbury.
I guess I'm unclear as to your vision for this board...
Well, we have it on the best Authority that the universe will indeed be destroyed, but created anew. As for living eternally, the Church Fathers agree that we will - whether we like it or not!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vision for this board? I thought we were all supposed to figure that one out. I'd like to think there is one...somewhere. Before the lights go out.

posted Hide Post
well, i check this board fairly often and i was getting sad that it may really be going away. i haven't mustered up the fortitude to check out the new one. i like this one.

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I got a mention on the old board! Thanks for the hat-tip, Ravenswake.

This is almost the very meaning of the Bradbury epigram about ruled paper. "They"'ve given you the ruled paper. Now write the other way.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Mr. B was, himself, quoting:
"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." Juan Ramon Jimenez
(Spanish poet, 1956 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1881-1958).

posted Hide Post
Yes, they are spying on you. Big Brother is watching, alien intelligences are observing, you are being closely monitored.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post