Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A Pleasure to Burn (Hardcover) New Ray Book for 2010
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Pleasure to Burn (Hardcover) New Ray Book for 2010
 Login/Join

posted
Amazon lists the following description for A Pleasure to Burn, a new Bradbury release for 2010;

Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 is one of the undisputed classics of modern science fiction. Its title has become part of our common language. Its portrait of an increasingly soulless society in which books and ideas are anathema has become part of our cultural heritage.
A Pleasure to Burn is the ideal companion to Bradbury s great novel. Edited by Bradbury authority Donn Albright, this generous volume gathers [16] vintages stories and novellas. Some of the stories, such as "The Pedestrian" and "Pillars of Fire," will be familiar to the author s long-time fans. Others, such as "The Bonfire" and "The Reincarnate," are more obscure. The true heart of the collection are the long novellas "Long after Midnight" (which has only appeared once in an expensive limited edition) and the 25,000-word tale, "The Fireman," the immediate precursor to the final, full-length novel. These independent, brilliantly original tales are a significant publishing event.
Together, these stories chart the evolution of the images, ideas, and social concerns that found their purest, most potent expression in Fahrenheit 451. A Pleasure to Burn is at once surprising, illuminating, and hugely entertaining. Intended equally for scholars, aficionados, and casual readers, it is both an invaluable Bradbury sourcebook and a unique, intimate glimpse into the mysteries of the creative process.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, that sounds like a re-titling of MATCH TO FLAME which came out from Gauntlet Press. Amazon identifies the publisher as Subterranean Press, but I haven't seen any announcements directly from them yet.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what it is. Sub Press is releasing some of the short stories from "Match to Flame" in a new collection called "A Pleasure to Burn". There's nothing new, but if you couldn't afford Match to flame this should be a cheaper alternative.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: A PLEASURE TO BURN. Subterranean Press posted this today.

http://subterraneanpress.com/i...nd-norman-partridge/

Thank You Subterranean!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered mine yesterday. And at the bargain price of $23, it was a pleasure to do.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey all,

I should clarify a bit. A PLEASURE TO BURN will include all of the completed stories from both MATCH TO FLAME and the chapbook THE DRAGON WHO ATE HIS TAIL. Our title will not include the manuscript facsimiles, as it's intended for a more general audience than the Gauntlet edition.

We've also taken the opportunity to correct a lot of typos that were in MATCH TO FLAME, and one story, "The Garbage Collector" which for some reason Gauntlet published without any paragraph breaks to indicate different speakers.

Best,

Bill
SubPress

Subterranean Press
www.subterraneanpress.com

Posts: 12 | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification, Bill!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Subterranean Press:

We've also taken the opportunity to correct a lot of typos that were in MATCH TO FLAME, and one story, "
Bill
SubPress

Donn Albright has to stop using those cheap 'Learn to Spell' books from the thrift store.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Donn Albright has to stop using those cheap 'Learn to Spell' books from the thrift store.

Donn and I were talking about the Gauntlet Dark Carnival one time, and he mentioned an error in the editing, and pointed out that "Bill Nolan, of all people, caught the mistake."

Funny Donn.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. I really wanted "Match to Flame" (just like I wanted "Masks") but could not afford either.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Christmas is coming, you could always put them on that list for Santa...

- Phil

posted Hide Post

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The posting has been updated with the full cover design. If you still see the old image, click 'reload' on your browser and it should update.

The cover design looks great. Really nice job by Bill and Gail at Subterranean.

--
jJ

Posts: 61 | Location: United States | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to this one as well. Never did pick up the Gauntlet book and it's fairly pricey (it's a signed limited it must be pointed out) I'll be happy to have it at a bargain price...part of the 50% pre-order deal they were running. Very cool...

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never picked up the Gauntlet edition either but already have this one on order with Subterranean already. Not to beat a dead horse but (to me) Gauntlet's books generally are not very appealing from a art direction - production value standpoint so this volume is MOST welcome. I wonder if Sub could do a "trade" edition of DARK CARNIVAL....now THAT would be something!

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post