Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A Pleasure to Burn (Hardcover) New Ray Book for 2010
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Pleasure to Burn (Hardcover) New Ray Book for 2010
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The fantastic Subterranean Press has announced that a signed limited number of copies of A Pleasure to Burn are available to order. Good Luck!

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/

Now Sold Out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh s**t!!!! Perhaps amazon or eBay might have some spare copies!!??!!Frowner

"Once a Ray Bradbury fan, always a Ray Bradbury fan!"Smiler

Posts: 32 | Location: Bermuda Triangle | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey all,

Just wondering if this book has been released yet. I pre-ordered it from Barnes and Noble online and I keep getting e-mails saying that my order has been delayed. Are the books available through Sub Press or has the pub date been pushed back? If the book is out but B&N doesn't have it, I'll go ahead and cancel my order with the m and buy direct from Subterranean.

David

Posts: 37 | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidafshar:
Hey all,

Just wondering if this book has been released yet. I pre-ordered it from Barnes and Noble online and I keep getting e-mails saying that my order has been delayed. Are the books available through Sub Press or has the pub date been pushed back? If the book is out but B&N doesn't have it, I'll go ahead and cancel my order with the m and buy direct from Subterranean.

David

I received notification that my copy, purchased from SubPress, was shipped out yesterday. Other retailers will not be receiving their allotments until all SubPress customer orders have be filled.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray gave me a nice signed ARC the last time I was out, and it looked great. Haven't seen the "real deal" yet, though.

John, I hope I'll see you at Norman's party next week! My better half will be with me this time.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by William Lantry:
Ray gave me a nice signed ARC the last time I was out, and it looked great. Haven't seen the "real deal" yet, though.

John, I hope I'll see you at Norman's party next week! My better half will be with me this time.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Terry,

Of course I'll be there!!! If you can travel 2,000 miles I can travel twelve. ;-]

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received my copy of A PLEASURE TO BURN TODAY. It's my first Subterranean Press book, and I'm delighted with it. Lovely to see the involvement of Donn Albright and Jonathan Eller, and the inclusion of extra material that wasn't even in MATCH TO FLAME.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incidentally, there is no introduction or any other editorial matter, except the bit on the front inside flap of the dust jacket, which is the same as the amazon blurb given by greenray in his first post.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see that the table of contents on the Subterranean Press website is not correct. The correct TOC, from the actual book, is:

1. The Reincarnate (presumably the unrevised, earlier version previously published in Match to Flame, not the revised version published in We’ll Always Have Paris)
2. Pillar of Fire
3. The Library
4. Bright Phoenix
5. The Mad Wizards of Mars (a.k.a. “The Exiles”)
6. Carnival of Madness (a.k.a. “Usher II”)
7. Bonfire
8. The Cricket on the Hearth
9. The Pedestrian
10. The Garbage Collector
11. The Smile
12. Long After Midnight (Not the same as the title story of the 1976 collection)
13. The Fireman (The novella that was expanded into Fahrenheit 451, collected in a reasonably affordable collection at last)
14. The Dragon Who Ate His Tail (previously available only as a chapbook)
15. Sometime Before Dawn (not the same text as the one in The Cat’s Pajamas)
16. To the Future (a.k.a. “The Fox and the Forest”)

posted Hide Post
You thought I couldn't post four times in a row, didn't you? Smiler

Just two amendments/additions to the above:

I overstated the difference between the book and the Subterranean Press list of contents - I see now that the only difference is that the full title of "The Dragon Who Ate His Tail" is not given on the web page. That aside, the list is correct.

Also, let me hasten to add that this book does not replace Match to Flame, despite the substantial overlap in contents. Match to Flame still has some important ingredients that are not in this book.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
...and the inclusion of extra material that wasn't even in MATCH TO FLAME.

douglasSP, could you be more specific on this point?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, there's no mystery there, Phil.

What I meant was that the last three stories, as listed above, were not in Match to Flame.

In saying this, I am relying on the info on the Gauntlet Press website. Of course, Gauntlet Press made the last three stories (and more) available in a chapbook called The Dragon Who Ate His Tail, but in A Pleasure to Burn, they're included in the book itself under the heading "Bonus Stories", which is nice, format-wise.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification. As I already have MATCH TO FLAME and DRAGON WHO ATE HIS TAIL, I now conclude that I do not need to buy A PLEASURE TO BURN.

Incidentally, detailed contents listing for MATCH and DRAGON are on my website: MATCH is here and DRAGON is here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite right, Phil. I would also rather have Match to Flame, and if you have it, I agree that you don't need the new book.

Still, I'm very happy with it, especially since I now have my own copy of "The Fireman" at last. Some time ago, I searched all over the internet, and there was simply no satisfactory (translation: inexpensive) way of obtaining a copy.

posted Hide Post
douglasSP, one more question: does PLEASURE TO BURN have any illustrations in it? (MATCH TO FLAME has a few, mostly taken from original magazine appearances.)

- Phil