Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury's Favorite Adaptation

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury's Favorite Adaptation
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Bradbury fans! Chris Charles here again with an update on the short film, The Small Assassin. The film is now available on Amazon Instant Video, where it can be downloaded in standard definition for only $0.99 or in high definition for just $1.49!

According to Sam Weller, acclaimed author of The Bradbury Chronicles: The Life of Ray Bradbury, Ray thought The Small Assassin was the most faithful adaptation of his work he had seen. Sam agreed, adding: "The film is spectacular. The production quality is stunning, the score, the acting, the lighting, all of it. The movie is just breathtaking."

The Small Assassin is set in 1947 and follows a young couple who suspect their newborn baby is plotting to kill them. The film is an eight-time award-winner and official selection at 26 festivals in Australia, Belgium, Canada, England, France, Spain, and the United States. Additionally, cinematographer Kevin Moss received an Honorable Mention from the American Society of Cinematographers for his work on the project.

More on The Small Assassin, including the trailer, a clip, and photos, can be found on IMDb and Facebook. Please support independent film and get your copy at Amazon today!

Posts: 9 | Registered: 19 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent news, Chris! Thanks for the update.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder why, when I click to buy it in HD, that I received the following message:

"HD movies currently aren't available on your computer. We'll automatically provide the Standard Definition (SD) version if HD movies aren't available on your device or if your Internet connection isn't fast enough to support HD. You can watch this title in HD on supported devices."

I certainly can see HD on my MacBook Pro, as well I can on my iMac. I've seen several things in HD on my Macs.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having read the small print on the Amazon site, I gather that Amazon Instant Video can be DOWNLOADED to Kindle, iPad or Windows PC. On any other device (such as a MacBook), you are limited to STREAMING the video.

So accessing it with a Mac, Doug, will only allow you to stream... and it seems to be telling you that your internet connection is too slow to give you HD.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As it turns out, I got the same message. Looks like it's a standard disclaimer that comes up for everyone. I note that it DOESN'T say that you will be served with the SD version; merely that you MIGHT be if you are unlucky enough to have an inferior internet connection or viewing device.

I, on the other hand, was unable to download for a different reason, namely:

"We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase."

:-(

I shall have to remain content with the DVD review copy I have of the earlier cut of the same film.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the technical issues. The Small Assassin can also be purchased on iTunes ($1.99 for SD and $2.99 for HD).

If that doesn't work, the film is available to rent or purchase on IndieReign, which is an independent film marketplace with a global following.

Phil, you've been a wonderful supporter of The Small Assassin over the years. Please give me your address, and I'll send you the new screener DVD. We'd love to hear your thoughts on the film!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...merely that you MIGHT be if you are unlucky enough to have an inferior internet connection or viewing device.

I don't think it's inferior. Average, maybe:

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would certainly be up to snuff, Doug. And "ping" is a good word.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Charles:
...Phil, you've been a wonderful supporter of The Small Assassin over the years. Please give me your address, and I'll send you the new screener DVD. We'd love to hear your thoughts on the film!

Aww shucks. Thanks, Chris, I'll send you an email.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Aww shucks. Thanks, Chris, I'll send you an email.

Well, I'm not a film critic, but I think it was marvellously true to the feel of the story. Perhaps the best short film version of a Bradbury story since Feigelson's The Burning Man way back in 1985. Very well done! It looked great. Even in standard definition.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thanks for watching the film, Doug. I'm glad you liked it!

posted Hide Post
Happy Halloween, Bradbury fans! This is the final day of Amazon's special Horror Sale, during which you can download Ray Bradbury's The Small Assassin for just $1.49 in HD or $0.99 in SD. Stream or download the film on Amazon Instant Video before it's too late!

posted Hide Post
I finally watched the new version of THE SMALL ASSASSIN (thanks to Chris Charles for providing me with a review copy)... and think it is very good indeed.

It's about half the length of the original edit which was premiered a few years ago, and the cuts have improved it remarkably. Not that the original was bad, but it did suffer some problems of pacing and structure. The new version really gets to the point in every scene, and makes inventive use of some of the deleted scenes as quick flashbacks or parallel action.

I'm not 100% sold on the ending, which feels a tad rushed, but it's still an improvement on version #1.

I agree with Doug - this is up there with THE BURNING MAN as one of the best Bradbury adaptations.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Acclaimed author Sam Weller just posted a glowing review of The Small Assassin on his official blog, Listen to the Echoes. Making this movie was a long, arduous process that took longer than I'd care to admit. However, this review from Sam, Ray’s close friend and official biographer, makes it all worthwhile.