Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    August 25th
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

August 25th
 Login/Join

posted
Mr. B has confirmed the date of the signing for his new book, Now and Forever, at the Mystery and Imagination Bookshop for Saturday August 25th at noon. Since this will three days after Ray's 87th birthday this will be a very festive event with cake, gifts and other honors being bestowed on our favorite author.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could go!

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LordShen:
I wish I could go!

Not to mention you'll miss meeting Nard, Doug and Patrisk

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already have an update. Ray's Pulitzer is slated to be handed to him by Anne Hardin. She along with Katherine Hepburn is the person Somewhere A Band is Playing was dedicated. She will also be co-signing Now and Forever ONLY at this event.

As an aside, she and Los Angeles' former mayor Hahn were the two that put Ray's name on the Pulitzer list. He, too, has been invited to attend the event. Like that matters to those outside of Los Angeles...

Ray has also asked if he can invite many of his friends so there is no telling who may also show up.

Lastly, I have no economic interest in Mystery and Imagination so this comes from a fan. The store will be taking advanced orders for the book and this will be the ONLY event where you can get the book double signed by Mr. B. and Ms. Hardin. The store does take mail orders that wil be mailed after the event. To order you may do so at:
info@mysteryandimagination.com

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I already have an update. Ray's Pulitzer is slated to be handed to him by Anne Hardin. She along with Katherine Hepburn is the person Somewhere A Band is Playing was dedicated. She will also be co-signing Now and Forever ONLY at this event.

As an aside, she and Los Angeles' former mayor Hahn were the two that put Ray's name on the Pulitzer list. He, too, has been invited to attend the event. Like that matters to those outside of Los Angeles...

Ray has also asked if he can invite many of his friends so there is no telling who may also show up.

Lastly, I have no economic interest in Mystery and Imagination so this comes from a fan. The store will be taking advanced orders for the book and this will be the ONLY event where you can get the book double signed by Mr. B. and Ms. Hardin. The store does take mail orders that will be mailed after the event. To order you may do so at:
info@mysteryandimagination.com

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Here is a flyer for the August 25th event.

John King Tarpinian

ImageNow_and_Forever_Flyer.jpg (91 Kb, 31 downloads)

posted Hide Post
The more I hear, the more I want to go.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:

The you should join in the fun.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Here is the letter I wrote to the local paper about the event:
Dear Madame Editor,

Stop the presses. Hold the Evening Edition. Gather up the paperboys on their bikes. Look out your front window because, Ray Bradbury, this year’s recipient of the Pulitzer’s “life achievement award” and France’s Commander of the Order of Arts and Literature will be across the street from your offices.

On Saturday, August 25th, Mr. Bradbury will be signing his newest book, Now and Forever: Somewhere a Band Is Playing & Leviathan ’99 from 12 noon at Mystery and Imagination, 238 N. Brand Boulevard. Malcolm and Christine Bell are the owners of the wonderful bookshop. This will be Mr. Bradbury’s tenth signing at their store.

Every self-respecting person who has tried to put pen to paper, banged on a typewriter or stared blankly at a computer monitor should have yellowing copies of Fahrenheit 451 and Zen in the Art of Writing next to their dog-eared copies of the Oxford English Dictionary, Roget’s Thesaurus and Fowler’s Modern English Usage. Anyone who has ever read a book should pay homage to this man. Your staff and readers should be encouraged to make the pilgrimage to this event.

Leviathan ’99 is Moby Dick in outer space. It was originally written by Mr. Bradbury as a play and has been produced numerous times over the years; he has finally turned it into a novella. As any movie buff will tell you, Ray was asked by John Houston to write the screenplay for Herman Melville’s Moby Dick in the 1950s.

Somewhere a Band is Playing is a novella about a reporter, James Cardiff, who visits the town of Summerton, AZ. This is a town with no children, no doctors and a very special cemetery. Mr. Bradbury has been toying with this story for about fifty years and it was originally conceived as a vehicle for Katherine Hepburn.

In conjunction with this book signing there will be a celebration of Mr. Bradbury’s eighty-seventh year on this planet, which is one in from Mars. A copy of his Martian Chronicles was just sent to Mars on the Phoenix Lander. I encourage the News-Press to report on this event, here in Glendale, so its citizens can join us in celebrating the birthday of America’s greatest living writer.

Sincerely,

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Ray will also be signing his new book, NOW AND FOREVER, at the Mystery Bookstore, 1036-C Broxton Avenue in Los Angeles, on September 8, 2007 at 12 noon. Here is a link to the store's website:

http://www.mystery-bookstore.com

Posts: 2452 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Ray will also be signing his new book, NOW AND FOREVER, at the Mystery Bookstore, 1036-C Broxton Avenue in Los Angeles, on September 8, 2007 at 12 noon. Here is a link to the store's website:

http://www.mystery-bookstore.com

Ray will be siging at many So. Cal. stores. Vhroman's in Pasadena. Phantom Books in Oxnard. ...and more.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
"Oxnard - a city as lovely as its name!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mmmmpphhh *snerk* heh heh *snort* bwaa hahahaaa
giggle *snicker*

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
"Oxnard - a city as lovely as its name!"

You got that right!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:

I grew up in So Cal. Now in MI. Wish I could go and meet you all. Can someone take pics and please post them for the rest of us fools?

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post