Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Monsters from the Vault!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monsters from the Vault!
 Login/Join

posted
The Spring, 2012 issue of Monsters from the Vault (#30) is now available, and contains an article, "Ray Bradbury's Earliest Influences", by the RB Board's own Terry Pace.

http://www.monstersfromthevault.com/RayBradbury.pdf

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the kind mention, Richard!

The Bradbury article in MONSTERS FROM THE VAUKLT was the fertile result of four focused and in-depth sit-down conversations with Ray between October 2007 and April 2011. It's part of the intensive and extensive preparation process for one of my two books-in-progress related to Ray and the movies.

Here's a review of the article from David Colton, Page One Editor of USA TODAY and moderator of the Classic Horror Film Board:

"Terry Pace's piece on how Ray Bradbury was influenced by Chaney, Kong, Lewton and James Whale -- in Ray's own words -- is an impressive and standard-setting piece of journalism.

"Everyone remembers Bradbury citing films as an inspiration for his career, but this article goes way beyond that, detailing how the Chaney films especially showed up in his early short stories and novels. (Guess where the lions in 'The Veldt' came from?)

"Incredibly eye-opening, it serves as a career retrospective that will delight even the most know-it-already Bradbury scholar.

"Great stuff."

The article is accompanied by a wealth of photos, many of them from Ray's personal collection. Several are previously unpublished.

Thanks again -- order your copies today! :-)

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops -- I forgot to include the web link to the site where the issue with the complete article can be ordered:

http://www.monstersfromthevault.com/CurrentIssue.html

Terry Pace

Terry Pace

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by William Lantry:
"Terry Pace's piece on how Ray Bradbury was influenced by Chaney, Kong, Lewton and James Whale -- in Ray's own words -- is an impressive and standard-setting piece of journalism.

Pace's piece is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... or two! :-)

Terry Pace

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by William Lantry:
... or two! :-)

It arrived today!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terry, I have read your article on Ray's early influences in the current issue of MONSTERS FROM THE VAULT, and I can only echo David Colton's praise that it is a very impressive piece of journalism. With so much already written about Ray by a number of other fine authors, your article provided detail and information I had not seen before. I am definitely looking forward to your forthcoming books about Ray and the movies.

posted Hide Post
My deepest thanks, Richard -- you've made me a very happy man!

My sincere apologies for the belated response.

Terry Pace

posted Hide Post
The current issue of Filmfax Magazine has an interview with Ray, as well as a cover photo of Ray sitting in the "time machine" used in George Pal's film of the H.G. Wells novel. For ordering information, you can click on the following link:

http://www.mymagstore.com/2368...59/Film/Filmfax.html

posted Hide Post
I wonder where Mr. B would have set the dials for if given the "OK" to take the machine for a real whirl!?

He sure did some time-traveling, from dinosaurs 60 million years ago to a computerized world 20,000 years in the future!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he would have headed straight for the Jurassic for a bit of dino (and butterfly) watching.

Unless his time machine was a Toynbee Convector, in which case he might just have pretended to have seen the future.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
phil, amazing to even ponder the vast scope of the man's imagination!!

Maybe he would have taken a simple journey to Green Town, Illinois, during the summer of 1928Smiler

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, phil!! The correct time travel lies here!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...feature=results_main

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
The current issue of Filmfax Magazine has an interview with Ray, as well as a cover photo of Ray sitting in the "time machine" used in George Pal's film of the H.G. Wells novel. For ordering information, you can click on the following link:

http://www.mymagstore.com/2368...59/Film/Filmfax.html

The interview, 'Someone Wonderful This Way Came' Remembering Ray Bradbury "The Illustrative Man" by Matthew R Bradley, is in three parts. Part 2 is in issue #132, Part 3 in #133.

Issue #133 also includes a speech/essay from 1963, BRADBURY ON CREATIVITY, as archived by Al Kracalik, and JOSEPH MUGNAINI Article and Interview by John C. Tibbetts. The cover of #133 is artwork from "The Veldt" as it appeared in the Saturday Evening Post. UPDATE: the above link no longer shows the issue(#131) Richard originally reported about, but the current issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post