Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Wanted: Image!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: Image!
 Login/Join

posted
Dear fellow Bradbury obsessive,

do you perhaps have in your collection the FIRST APPEARANCE of the story "Next Stop, The Stars", exactly as it appeared in Maclean’s, October 27 1956?

(The story is better known as "The End of the Beginning", and appears in plenty of Ray's books. But I am specifically looking for that FIRST APPEARANCE.)

If you have it, could you please take a look to see if there were any illustrations accompanying the story?

I don't need the story, and I don't need to know where to find other appearances of the story. I am just interested in ARTWORK (if any).

If you can help, please speak up!

Many thanks

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it was a major American magazine one of the two college libraries I frequent might have it. It seems it's Canadian, though.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...one of the two college libraries I frequent might have it...

Good point. Anyone visiting their college library any time soon? Esp. Canadian colleges!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I could check the microfilm Maclean's collection at the Vancouver Library. Would that be of help?

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, smckee. That would be a great help, if you could do it. I just want to know if any artwork accompanied the story, and what the artwork depicted. (And name of the artist, if credited.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Hi, smckee. That would be a great help, if you could do it. I just want to know if any artwork accompanied the story, and what the artwork depicted. (And name of the artist, if credited.)

Okay, I'll try to get down there this evening.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skmckee:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by philnic:

Hi Phil

Got your info: There was one piece of artwork for this story: a two-page spread title page depicting a starless region in space with a spiral galaxy in the upper right of the right page. "NEXT STOP: THE STARS" in block letters, lower left of the left page. Text beginning on lower right of the right page. The artist's name was Bruce Johnson. I have jpegs of this and the rest of the story, should you want them for your files. (4 pages in total.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: skmckee,

posted Hide Post
skmckee, you are a star! If it's no trouble, I would love to have those jpegs. (Could you email me? phil at bradburymedia dot co dot uk )

Many thanks for your detective work.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
skmckee, you are a star! If it's no trouble, I would love to have those jpegs. (Could you email me? phil at bradburymedia dot co dot uk )

Many thanks for your detective work.

No problem. If I'm ever in the UK, you may buy me a pint of nut-brown ale! Smiler Jpegs are on their way.

posted Hide Post
Many thanks. Nut-brown ale it is!

- Phil