Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Saint Patricks Day 2006
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saint Patricks Day 2006
 Login/Join

posted
“Did you bring the matches?” asked Kelly.
“Did I bring the…well we won’t be burning’ anything here, I tell you. This is the Bradbury place.”
“Well, so it is,” said Casey, “and grand it is too. But what are we to be doing here then?”
“Why singing to be sure, and minding our manners. Here, I’ve got a paper here with some music…”

And so, here is a sample of some Irish lyrics. Have a wonderful Saint Patrick’s Day!

A gypsy rover came over the hill,
Down through the valley so shady;

He whistled and he sang,
Till the green woods rang,
And he won the heart of a lady.

Adydoo, adydoo daday,
Adydoo, adyday dee.

There was a wild colonial boy
Jack Doogan was his name,

He was born and bred in Ireland
In a town called Castlemain.

He was his father's only son,
His mother's pride and joy,

And dearly did his parents love
This wild colonial boy.

Who threw the overhauls in Mrs. Murphy’s chowder?

I’ve met some folks, who say that I’m a dreamer,
And I’ve no doubt there’s truth in what they say,

But sure a body’s bound to be a dreamer,
When all the things he loves are far away,

And precious things are dreams unto an exile,
They take him or the land across the sea,

Especially when it happens he’s in exile,
From that dear lovely Isle of Innisfree.

Look, look, look to the rainbow,
Look to the fellow who follows a dream.

___

Have a wonderful Saint Patric's day and if you're so disposed, do as the Irish do this day and stop in a different pub every hour.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ye can stop in th' pub AFTER, ye've been to Church, boyo! 'Tis a saint's day, after all, ye know.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“By the by, have you been to church?” inquired Kelly.
“I have,” said Casey.
“Early Mass was it?”
“It was. And you?”
“The same. So we can be on our way to the pubs then?”
“There’s no impediment,” said Casey and then lamenting, “but the hour’s late and all the good Protestants will be ahead of us.”
“That they will, and when it comes time for the fighting we won’t be numb enough to enjoy it.”
“Well, we can make the attempt.”
“Yes! To the attempt then.”
Casey looked back a moment.
“What’s holdin’ you?” asked Kelly.
“Are you sure you don’t want to burn the lovely place before we leave?”
“Will you stop with that. It’s the Bradbury place and it’s grand and they’ve had enough troubles.”
“That they have,” agreed Casey. “God bless all here then. Grace and peace on’em.”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31...my sincerest direct apology to you, SIR, for having gotten the wrong impression of your gender. I am sorry but I am not coming up with anything that what you quoted would be from, obviously, perhaps, from The White Whale Green...(boy am I losing it. I can't think of the whole title) is it?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane 1,
Please, don’t feel you have to apologize. It’s I who should apologize for being so vague.

Don’t try finding any of that material I posted in “Green Shadows, White Whale”. What you are seeing is me responding with a little creative writing, using Rays characters, to Braling II’s nudge about attending Church before going to the pubs.

posted Hide Post
OK. Here's one for ye:
Pat was lying on his deathbed, moaning and carrying on.
"Mike," he says, "I know I'm a goner."
"Oh, Paddy, have faith, ye still have years ahead uv yuh."
"No, Mick, I'm finished an' you've been such a great friend, there's one
thing I'd like yuh to do when I'm gone."
"Ahh, Paddy, I'll do anything you ask, I swear it to the Saints and the Holy Mother."
"Well, dear friend, I have been saving a jug of fine whiskey that my brother
sent me from Cashel some eight years ago, and I would like you to pour it on me grave when I'm buried."
Mike sits silently for a long time and Pat asks again,
"will you do that for yer oldest friend, Mike?"
Mike draws a big breath and says, "Ye know I will Pat, but would ye mind
very much if I filter it through me kidneys first?'

Now, as some of us may recall, Mr. B. built a whole story around this old joke!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,
You got me on that one. I have a vague memory of it but can’t place it. Perhaps its one I read a long time ago or one I haven’t read yet at all.

dandelion,
I’d like to say again how much I appreciate the trouble you must have gone through over the recent breakdown of the website. It’s truly appreciated. By the way, how many times have you watched “The Quiet Man” today?

And to Maureen O’Hara, I hope you’re making a grand time of it this day you dear, sweet gem of a lady.

posted Hide Post
It looked as though I mightn't make it, but couldn't let this blessed day go by without wishin' me best to all those on my favorite site!

Didn't see "The Quiet Man" any times today, but saw it for the first time in a theater on March 9--thrill enough!!

Thanks for all the kind words! May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, and may ye be half an hour in Heaven before the divil knows you're dead!

GOD BLESS ALL ON THIS SITE. HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!!!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap,
I believe the story I was referring above to is "One For His Lordship..." and I think it's in "The Toynbee Convector", but I've misplaced my copy (or more likely loaned it and forgot to whom) so will have to verify later.

posted Hide Post
Here is a photo taken at Aras na nGael pub, Galway, March 17, 2006 and after church, I'm told.

Imagearasnangael.jpg (99 Kb, 8 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Hey Chapter,

I'm a little confused as usual. Can you give a little more description on this, please?

Thanks,

Greg

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Chapter 31, who are the lads sitting at the table?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Biplane.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a relative who is spending some time in Ireland and in one of the pubs on St. Patrick’s Day they encountered this musical group playing traditional Irish music, after church of course.

posted Hide Post
Dame it!, I thought we were to get a glimpse of the elusive Chapter 31. Still, it is a neat picture. Thanks too for the explanation.

you can almost hear them playing.....