Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Literary attitudes to totalitarianism

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Literary attitudes to totalitarianism
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I'm a final year history student at Exeter University in the UK. I am researching for my final dissertation on Literary attitudes to totalitarianism in the 1940s / 1950s. I have read Fahrenhiet 451 and have a few questions concerning its origin. Was it written as a warning of a future form of totalitarianism, where propaganda and indoctrination was so advanced that the subjects willingly obeyed the state? This theme is obviously present in many of the other major totalitarian writings from this period. However, Farenhiet 451 is different in that the hero escapes from the system, / beats the system? Was this written as part of the western concern for totalitarianism following the war?

I want to determine how the concept of totalitarianism arose and why it was so heavily explored by western authors in this period.

I would greatly appreciate your views on these questions or any other help you can offer

-Thanks

-Max

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Max,

welcome to the board. This strikes me as the kind of question that may get quite a few different answers from different people!

(By the way, I am a UK university lecturer, and I have been studying media adaptations of Bradbury for many years.)

If you are interested in BRADBURY's reasons for framing F451 the way he did, I would strongly recommend that you seek out a book called MATCH TO FLAME (publisher's web page here). It includes a detailed essay on the origin of Bradbury's text, and collects several of his works that are considered to be precursors of F451. You will find that he was fascinated by book-burning and the decline of literacy, as well as by totalitarian issues.

You might also look for Bradbury's afterword to F451, included in several of the more recent re-issues of the book, and also included in (i think) his book ZEN AND THE ART OF WRITING.

And in the last year there has been a lot of web babble about Bradbury's current opinion that F451 is actually about other stuff. However, beware, that his claims about what his books are about tend to change over time. What he says NOW about his reasons for writing F451 may be very different to what he was thinking in the 1950s.

Of course, there are broader issues than Bradbury's personal intentions. I wil leave it to others to discuss the sociopoliticial climate in which the book was written. However, you should be aware that among the events(?) that seem to have affected Bradbury were Nazism, Stalinism and McCarthyism. I don't know how far you have got with your research in this area - if you are at an early stage, I would recommend getting hold of THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SCIENCE FICTION, edited by John Clute and Peter Nicholls. It has some excellent themed essays which will help you place the literature in context.

Bradbury's biography (The Bradbury Chronicles by Sam Weller) would also be a good place to look.

I hope this helps!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Max, what he says now is this.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently got a copy of The Greenhaven Press Literary Companion To Fahrenheit 451 and it is really revealing as to his reasonings behind the writing of this book, also his thinking at the time in regards to a lot of different sub catagories that all come into play to add to the whole of this magnificent classic including totalitarianism. My copy is a mint condition hardback I purchased at a used bookstore at an almost unbelievably low price. Almost a steal hehe.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post