Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Upcoming Appearances???
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upcoming Appearances???
 Login/Join

posted
Just wondered if anyone has heard of upcoming appearances anywhere in the US or around the world. It's tough to find this kind of information online without help. Thanks, rach9051@aol.com

Posts: 1 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Topic: Reading the Invisible -- A Sunday Afternoon with Ray Bradbury & Friends
poetix Junior Member posted 01-17-2003 04:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray will be reading from his new Salmon Publishing poetry collection � I Live by the Invisible on Sunday March 16th, 4 p.m. at Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center 681 Venice Blvd., Venice, CA. Reading with Mr. Bradbury are Salmon Managing Director Jessie Lendennie, Huntington, West Virginia poet Laura Treacy Bentley and Los Angeles poet Larry Jaffe. Write to larry@poetix.net for more info. http://www.poetix.net/bradbury.htm

IP: Logged

Green Shadow
Member posted 01-20-2003 09:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anybody live near LA?!

Greg Miller
Member posted 01-20-2003 06:56 PM
No -- Pittsburgh. But to be honest, I'm seriously considering taking a flight to LA and spending the weekend. My fiancee gave me the "OK," and I can get a round-trip ticket for $280. It would be a great get-away weekend, and what better reason to go than to see Ray B. give a reading? I have a little money saved up, and it sounds darn tempting.
What do you think...Should I do it?

Best,
Greg

lmskipper
Junior Member posted 01-20-2003 10:39 PM
Yes, definitely. And don't think about it too much, just do it. It will be a blast!!

Greg Miller
Member posted 01-21-2003 10:32 PM
Thanks to my lovely wife-to-be, I'm officially going! She got me a round-trip ticket for my birthday.
I think this will be quite an adventure, and I'm really looking forward to it. I've never been to LA before, but more than that, I can't wait to see Mr. Bradbury!

-Greg

Nard Kordell
Member posted 01-21-2003 11:38 PM
Greg Miller:
You can click on the following to see, live, the beach area in Venice, California, near where Ray will be reading his poetry. Pictures change every 20 seconds or so with this particular live Web Cam. It was 82F day before yesterday. Best Wishes....

click on: http://www.westland.net/beachcam/

Greg Miller
Member posted 01-22-2003 06:20 AM
Nard-
Thanks very much! What a beautiful area. I was amazed to learn that the reading is less than six miles from LAX (Airport), so getting there will be a breeze once I arrive. I didn't know Venice was so close to the heart of things!

I'll let you know how it goes and be sure to take some pictures.

-Greg

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone who learns of upcoming appearances including Ray or involving his work, please post them here.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just found this glowing review online:
http://www.dailybreeze.com/columnists/bogert/1182606.html

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall. Ray is still going strong and changing the way people think.

posted Hide Post
Did anyone else catch the interview with Ray on Fox News (sorry...a channel I often avoid) this afternoon about 4:30PM EST?

A good friend in another state alerted me about 5 minutes before it aired. If I'd had more time, I would have posted it here.

It was great. Ray emanated excitement and vision for the space program and for mankind. I came away uplifted, as always, after hearing him speak. His wisdom has not faded with time. It's grown stronger.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick,

What am I doing wrong? I click on the link and the page comes up,but where the video is to play it remains blank. I click on options and register the appropriate selections--still nothing! Helllpppppp!!!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Anyone who learns of upcoming appearances including Ray or involving his work, please post them here.

Can I take that to mean that no one here at this web site has any kind of inside connection to Ray?

Posts: 6 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill Powers:

I speak with Ray every once in a while. In fact I spoke with him just last Friday morning. But I usually keep my conversations very brief. In the past he has referred me to a lady named Ruth (don't have the last name on the tip of my toungue) who, at least then, scheduled his appreances. I should look up her email address and try to contact her.

Of course Patrick (F451) may have an idea as to what and where Ray may be appearing as he is Ray's driver and personal assistant.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 01-05-2005).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane 1:
I believe the lady you are referring to is Ruth Alben

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, also, talk to Ray from time to time, but do not make a point of obtaining a list of every upcoming event, and obviously those who maintain this website don't bother posting current information, either, so, the message board is bascially "it."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury is scheduled to speak and sign his books at the Duarte Performing Arts Center in the City of Duarte, CA on Saturday, March 19 at 6 p.m. The Performing Arts Center is located at 1401 Highland Ave. Admission is free. The event is being hosted by the Friends of the Duarte Library. For more information, call 626/357-4151

Posts: 1 | Location: Duarte, CA, USA | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard:

You are so correct. Ruth Alben scheduled his appearances. I pulled out my Ray Bradbury correspondence and in a letter dated April 16, 1999 Ray suggests that a young lady friend, at that time a student at St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, Minnesota, and while I was taking a graduate course there, contact Ruth. There was interest in bringing Ray in for a lecture.

Sure enough it happened, but I, although living just sixty miles away, fell out of the loop and didn't know about Ray lecturing there until two weeks later. Boy, was I upset. In fact he was in Minnesota twice that year and I missed both appearances!

posted Hide Post
Ray will be appearing in his hometown of Waukegan, Illinois April 17, 2005. I don't have all the details at this time, but will post the information as soon as it becomes available.

Posts: 2 | Location: Waukegan, IL 60085 | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
...those who maintain this website don't bother posting current information, either, so, the message board is bascially "it."

If anyone knows Ruth (or whomever is now his PA) could they please ask that schedules be posted? For those who love Ray I would think that personal appearance info would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks also to those who are posting the individual appearances. I'm going to try and make the Duarte signing.

Bill

Posts: 6 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post