Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Nazi Book Burnings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nazi Book Burnings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Re: "With Censors Gone, Books Reemerge." This is a great article out of the LA Times on the "new" book markets in Iraq. Money is an issue, but it's interesting to note two results of the removal of Hussein: (1) People are beginning to actually believe that they can buy and sell whatever book they want. Book merchants are reappearing. (2) They can now freely discuss anything they want without having to worry about getting their "head separated from their body".

Good article.

I think as Americans (and, obviously, British, Canadians, Australians, etc.) we need to remember how few nations actually guarantee the right to free speech in it's many manifestations to their people. We should be grateful for it and defend it at every turn.

We should do this, partly by keeping information freely available; but also by taking advantage of it to learn as much as we can. I think it was Mark Twain who said something to the effect that "the man who won't read is no better off than the man who can't".

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 05-04-2003).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg Miller:

Now you just know those are fightin' words...
Plus, you sound as uninformed as I did when I was your age...

Now that's good and that's bad.

Good, that you will probably find out there is more to life than Monty Python...and Bad...because you'll probably think that most all Christians are... basically narrow minded.

So, I guess that would be simliar to that joke ...about a time when a Sunday School teacher asked a bunch of kids in his class a rather simple question. Trained and 'brain-washed' to see Christ in everything, the one boy who was asked the question was ready with an answer...
almost...
You see, it went like this. The teacher asked,
"Now Johnny, what has a tail, eats nuts, and climbs trees?" Johnny thought about it for a while. Thinking that he had not described the question sufficiently, the teacher added,
"Now Johnny, what has a bushy tail, is usually grey, eats nuts, chatters, and likes to climb trees?"
After a moment, Johnny said, " Well, I'd really like to say a squirrel...but I'll say Jesus Christ."

Think about it Greg....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 05-04-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Touche', Writing Reptile. Thanks for the colorful article reporting on life in the streets of Bagdad. It seems books and the pursuit of knowledge still reign supreme in the hearts and minds of a free society.

Haven't ever had deviled ham. Does it taste anything like crow? I'm familiar with that flavor.

[This message has been edited by Celestial (edited 05-04-2003).]

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the radio silence but I've had to go out and live a life for a few days.

Had all sorts of well-worded arguments to sway everyone to my side but, as usual, Mr. Dark has not only beat me to them but used better words than I ever could.

So I'll just go back to lurking and continue to enjoy the interaction on this site, no matter our differences.

Pete Terranova

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard - Nice try playing the age card....I have two degrees, am working on a Ph.D., and have a novel coming out. I also travel a great deal and am starting a family soon. I have a career teaching advanced English writing and analysis at a Blue Ribbon high school. Don't try to use age for leverage here.

The reason I chose Monty Python for the example is exactly the same reason you chose to ridcule my mention of it (that is, you missed the point) -- It's easy humor, also quite ridiculous, and the rants of the "prophets" on the pedestals in 'The Life of Brian' remind me a great deal of the post I responded to. It's still a damn funny movie, too, and if you can't enjoy it I'm genuinely sorry.

I AM a Christian -- But obviously do not follow the same doctrine as you do. Sorry if that gets your gander up, or if you find it threatening in any way. I also know from a great deal of experience that not ALL Christians are narrow-minded...not by a long shot. Just some. And those do a great deal of damage to the credibility of the rest of us.

What I find a bit sad is that someone YOUR age has to post such breathtakingly psuedo-informed theological assertions. (Where'd you get that squirrel story -- Do you consider that a parable? Sounds like it came from "Chicken Soup for the Soul"...or maybe "Christianity for Dummies.")

In fact, this may be my last mention on the subject since I really can't waste any more time on this, and I'd like to get back to talking about Ray Bradbury. I'm sure you'll be happy to go on about this forever, Nard, and perhaps you'll chalk up my silence to a victory on your part. However, I think your words will continue to speak for themselves, and generally prove my previously stated points on the subject every time.

Good luck,

--Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg Miller (edited 05-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Greg Miller (edited 05-05-2003).]

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Love, love is the answer . . ." --Beatles

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:34-35)

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." (John 15:12)

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." (Ephesians 4:29)

"Can't we all just get along?" --Rodney King, during the LA riots.

"There is no end, but only an eternal beginning." -- Ray Bradbury (in "G.B.S.: Refurbishing the Tin Woodman; Science Fiction With a Heart, a Brain, and the Nerve!" Collected in: "A Chapbook for Burnt-Out Priests, Rabbis and Ministers".)

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 05-05-2003).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point, Mr. Dark. I suppose I'm willing to go along with that...It's out of my system now, at the very least.

Best,

Greg

posted Hide Post
Always enjoy the dialog. I'm just uncomfortable when it goes from the academic to the personal. I can't swear it's because I'm a guy filled with love or if I'm just chicken of inter-personal conflict! :-)

I'm jealous of you working on a PhD. My life went a different direction (my choices, I'm not blaming anyone). However, I did get two Master's Degrees and am glad for those.

You are starting your family. I am on the other end, watching my kids grow up, become independent, and move out and start their own lives. I hope you are as blessed with your kids as I have been: healthy, good, intelligent, and thoughtful.

Keep up the dialog, and best of luck in your graduate work.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mr. Dark. No kids yet - But my new wife and I are planning, saving money, beginning to prepare for it, and we're really and truly excited about it.

The Ph.D work comes in my spare time, but it keeps me honed and thinking (much like reading and writing fiction, although in a different slant, of course)!

It sounds like you've been blessed with a fabulous family. I hope I'm that fortunate!

All best,

Greg

posted Hide Post
"I like the silent church before the service begins, better than any preaching."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg Miller:

You got a point?

You should know....that I've never gotten angry with anyone thru these posts ...not even with college or high school drunks that used obnoxious language and called Bradbury names. Just got Dandelion to delete them, or she wound up doing that.

But you, Greg seem to be upset with me, personally. What the heck is buggin' you?

Tell me you're the same Greg Miller I knew years back in Los Angeles ...that always walked around with a small chip on his shoulder. (If so, this would be absolutely hilarious!)

Have I ever said a unkind word towards you?

As for the squirrel joke, you should know it's been going around Christian circles for years. I heard it from Dr. Charles Swindoll, former President of Dallas Theological Seminary and host of the Radio program, Insight for Living. Even heard it couple years ago at the church I attend, Moody Church in Chicago, by the President of Moody Bible Institute...

A Bradbury fan? Why the upset with someone who is a lifetime admirer of Ray and his works. Also, anyone can say they are a Christian. Jehovah Witnesses say it. So do Mormons, and a host of others.

Mr. Dark:
Sorry! That you feel a need to calm things down. Thanks, tho. I didn't attempt to start anything. I get taunted at...tell me, am I supposed to just smile?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always, cudos to Mr. Dark, the peacemaker. But, um, one thing: (and I know this is supposed to be a Bradbury site, but, here goes) The Beatles quote above. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with it. Sounds more like a line from Crystal Blue Persuasion, group not immediatel known to me. Perhaps you meant Love is all you need. Or perhaps I'm entirely wrong. If so, could you point me to the correct Beatles song? (And, I guess, the Beatles site where this should really be posted?)

Thanks!

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always, cudos to Mr. Dark, the peacemaker. But, um, one thing: (and I know this is supposed to be a Bradbury site, but, here goes) The Beatles quote above. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with it. Sounds more like a line from Crystal Blue Persuasion, group not immediately known to me. Perhaps you meant Love is all you need. Or perhaps I'm entirely wrong. If so, could you point me to the correct Beatles song? (And, I guess, the Beatles site where this should really be posted?)

Thanks!

Pete

posted Hide Post
I think the kite has crashed now. It burned upon re-entry.

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I can name that tune in..."

I believe it was a John Lennon solo effort.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post