Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Conversation

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conversation
 Login/Join

posted
Found on the web:

RB in conversation at Point Loma Nazarene University (29 minute video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDPAyXXxaJ0

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have seen this very video before, since I recall an interview of Ray with Nazarene University a number of years ago. What intrigues me at this moment is when this particular event took place. It appears that it may be before his stroke. But the way Bradbury holds his hands and does not move his legs very much, perhaps after. Yet he looks much younger.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some way into the interview, a caption pops up giving the year as 2001. This makes it a couple of years after his stroke, I believe. His speech is a little slurred, but physically he looks in good shape in this recording.

There is a related video from the same event, which is Bradbury lecturing. In this one, he seeems to be standing at a lectern for best part of an hour:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=6692353283997...ype=search&plindex=1

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES THAT WAS FEB 2001, GREAT NIGHT. YEAR PLUS AFTER THE STROKE. AT THE TIME, RAY USED A WALKER, FOR YOU GUYS THAT SEE RAY FROM TIME TO TIME. TAKE NOTE OF HIS GLASSES!

TAKE CARE
PATRICK

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PATRICK (FH 451) :
Thanks! for clearing that up.

Yes, those glasses!!! Well to note that Patrick was instrumental in finally getting Ray to have that newfangled Laser surgery. And, Ola! Ray didn't need those glasses. In the video you will notice those thick coca-cola bottle glass lenses. Unfortunately, people didn't at first recognize Mr. Bradbury without his glasses after the procedure. So, a new pair were made, without prescription lenses, just plain ol' 'glass'. Now, everyone recognized Ray once again.

Watching that video, Ray said something that revealed something about his desire for beauty in selecting our appreciation and love of things. Ignoring the nasty and perverse. He said this concerning widening one's scope in life of things to stuff your brain with, and thus have new metaphors springing forth in times of need. He said...

"...what you have to do from this night forward with more different things from various fields, hygienically speaking..."

Hygienically speaking. How often nowadays do you hear someone say that?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He also gave some excellent advice for would-be writers: letting characters go where they want, and then as writer follow their footsteps in the snow.

Having just read the numerous variant texts of Somewhere a Band is Playing (in the Gauntlet Press book), it is clear that Mr B follows his characters where they lead him.

- Phil