Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    UCR Eaton Conference 2009

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UCR Eaton Conference 2009
 Login/Join

posted
Plans have begun for the next Eaton Conference, to be held in May 2009. It's themed around Jules Verne.

The breaking news is: the second Eaton Lifetime Achievement Award will be going to...(roll on the drums, please)... Mr Frederik Pohl!

Info here:
http://www.pe.com/thingstodo/other/stories/PE_News_Loca...nconf25.3c40daf.html

And here:
http://eatonconference.ucr.edu/

(The first recipient of the award was, of course, RB - seen here with FP at the 2008 conference:

)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we'll need to do some reading in Verne and see if there's anything interesting there. I like to try to do at least one conference a year. I'm not as familiar with Verne as I should be--given Bradbury's love of his work.

By the way, Great Photo of RB and FP. I missed this shot as I was off yakking. What a great shot this is!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, please read, The Mysterious Island, the story continues and I always thought the latter the better book. Read when I was very young.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. 20,000 Leagues is the only one I've read--very young, also. There's more to Verne than meets the eye. Was just looking at the North American Jules Verne society (linked from the Eaton page) and he wrote FAR more than I had imagined. Interestingly, he also had a law degree.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first READ Verne, long after I had become familiar with his work from the film adaptations, I was surprised at the thoroughness and sophistication of his work. The movies always tend to latch on to the high concept of giant submarine, firing people into space from a giant cannon, giant octopus (or is it squid?).

Bradbury once wrote an essay on Verne, "The Ardent Blasphemers", where he drew parallels between Verne and Melville.

If I could think of an appropriate topic, I would put in a paper proposal for the 2009 Eaton Conference. I am a bit stumped at the moment, though. (I'm considering the IAFA instead.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since Mr. Pohl was a guest along with Ray at this year's Eaton Conference, I though this would be an appropriate spot for this posting. The collaoration between Arthur C. Clarke and Frederik Pohl, THE LAST THEOREM, is set to be published on August 5. For a touching story about the completion of this novel during Mr. Clarke's final illness, see the story below:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/07/29/clarkes.last.novel.ap/index.html

Posts: 2475 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post