Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What are bradbury's thoughts on asimov and roddenberry.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are bradbury's thoughts on asimov and roddenberry.
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering what ray b. thought of issac asimov and gene roddenberry. Is there any literature (or sites) of what he commented on such indiviuduals available?

"to be or not to be"
will shakespeare

"...uh what's that mean."
---me

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray and Isaac Asimov were friends. Ray wrote the preface for a 1989 collection called FOUNDATION'S FRIENDS, published by TOR, a series of stories written by leading science fiction writers in Asimov's honor. Asimov returned the favor by writing the preface to a 1991 collection called THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES, published by ROC, a collection of stories written by others (including many of Ray's friends) in honor of Ray Bradbury. I suggest you pick up both books and check out what each had to say about the other...their comments about each other are very complimentary.

You can find new and used copies of both books on The Advanced Book Exchange. ABE's webite is located at http://www.abebooks.com.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray was one of the speakers at Gene Roddenberry's funeral. There is an account of the ceremony here. Ray seems to have approved of Roddenberry's optimism and, in particular, of his positive presentation of the future.

I don't remember reading Bradbury writing about Asimov, but Asimov wrote at least one essay about Bradbury. I think it's included in the book Asimov on Science Fiction. (My copy of this book is in storage, so I can't verify this.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Met Asimov at a couple parties. He was a party guy with a lot of girls on his arm all the time. Wish I had taken a photo or two. Few know how short he really was. And he always picked the tallest girls possible. A very charasmatic person, charming, smart. Yet with all those smarts, he didn't believe there was anything beyond this life.

Gene Roddenberry's son was recently present at a talk given by one of the astronauts that went to the moon. Later, when Roddenberry's son was asked, in private, if he ever read Ray Bradbury, he squirmed a bit and said not really!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gone diving with Roddenberry's son. He's a good guy and very personable.

Doesn't like to be generally known as his father's son.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post