Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Blogging Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blogging Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hey! You could write a sci-fi story about an evil doctor or undertaker who does surreptitious 'pineal-ectomies' and keeps all these souls in a jar in his lab!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Hey! You could write a sci-fi story about an evil doctor or undertaker who does surreptitious 'pineal-ectomies' and keeps all these souls in a jar in his lab!

Thanks, but I'm not much of a writer - it's a good idea, though.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Doug, Your conclusion (?) "...even from previous lives, because...everything is recorded in the brain." is, I'm afraid, a non sequitur, unless you've also concluded that one's brain somehow doesn't change from life to life.

I believe the soul is the mind, and is therefore located in the brain, specifically the pineal gland.

Interesting; very Descartes of you.

Many people who believe that the Pineal gland communicates with another plane via small organelles in the brain.

Conciousness being reborn? I'm not so sure about that

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you figure any of this out when you only use 4% of your brain. That's like going to the 99 cent store and try buying something for about 4 cents.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
How do you figure any of this out when you only use 4% of your brain.

Imagine how much we would know if we used 100%?!

I think that is called enlightenment, a place I hope to achieve someday.

I also believe that God only gives us a small amount of knowledge in the beginning, and as we live and learn, we earn more, until we reach enlightenment. It takes much more than one lifetime to reach it, though.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, I thought you wrote somewheres that you were a Christian. Multiple lives in scripture? Come now. There's no need for Christ if we have to work our ways to the enlightment you're talking about. Christ already did everything. Now it's a matter of spending the rest of your life discerning what it was he did for you. That's called war of the flesh and the spirit. That's no Bible I know where you got the notion of multiple lives.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
That's no Bible I know where you got the notion of multiple lives.

See my post in the Orange Crop.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding: You got my curiosity. Since there are no multiple-lives view in scripture, except in the term born-again, which means being born of the spirit, just where in those myriad of posts in the 'Orange Crop' doth thy writings on this subject occur?
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RayBradburyChannel

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, It's become clear over the years that when things aren't interesting enough for him, or when he wants attention, (I don't know for sure); our Doug likes to play provocateur. Beneath this self-assured guise, though, I do think he really is searching. There have been, as I've said before, many desperate attempts to find accord between Christianity and other cults or religions, and the attempt to "find evidence" of reincarnation in the scriptures is an oldie. Very prevalent in the '50s, '60s and '70s too, with followers of Yogananda, Krishnamurti, and Meher Baba to name a few. One of the favourite ploys is to take Christ's remarks about John the Baptist and Elija as support for this (chiefly Hindu) belief. As my Orthodox priest son-in-law points out, the Lord did not identify Elijah with John the Baptist; He was showing the unity of the prophets and the New Covenant, and that the Jewish expectation of Elijah preceding the Messiah was fulfilled in John. Secondly, if Elijah reincarnated as John, then who was on the Mount of Transfiguration? Did John somehow "de-incarnate" and blend back into Elijah? I would ask Doug to produce even one commentary by any of the Holy Fathers that supported this claim. (He'll be looking for a long time, since there is a total of zero.)
Anyway, perhaps this should be continued on another thread. I'd be more than happy to drop it altogether and get back to reality!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Doug Spaulding, I thought you wrote somewheres that you were a Christian. Multiple lives in scripture? Come now. There's no need for Christ if we have to work our ways to the enlightment you're talking about. Christ already did everything. Now it's a matter of spending the rest of your life discerning what it was he did for you. That's called war of the flesh and the spirit. That's no Bible I know where you got the notion of multiple lives.

It's an idea found in Buddhism, Brahmanism/Hinduism, etc.

I think Doug may be talking about a certain interpretation of the old testement, in which Sheol is supposedly actually a form of purgatory that spits you back up for re-incarnation until you reach enlightenment.

Though I don't see much evidence for this interpretation.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, this Blogging Bradbury thread was mine! And now you're turning it into Orange Crop II!

Does nobody have any comments on the poor old F451 monorail, rusting away there outside Paris?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops! Where's the parents?

Reminds me of Ray's 'The Foghorn', where he saw the remains of an old Roller Coaster wasting away in the waters of Los Angeles and went on to write...The Foghorn. Here, the monorail is desecrated with grafitti while rusting away as well. Is this located on some forgotten Government property? Great photos.

People who have had the tops of their skulls removed during a brain operation, are awake, and have electrical stem placed on different portions of their brain, review in super great clarity moments of their lives they have forgotten. From what little I have read, I recon the brain stores everything! Nothing less than a digital recorder recording everything in a room as long as it's left on...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
How do you figure any of this out when you only use 4% of your brain. That's like going to the 99 cent store and try buying something for about 4 cents.

This urban myth was debunked long ago. I think it was even started (at least the "only 10%" variety) by someone trying to sell books on how to 'tap' the other 90%.

About the only strain of this myth that has any merit is that you don't typically use all of your brain for any one thing. However, all of the geography still gets used.

Wasn't going to get involved in this discussion, but this is one dollop of disinformation that's always bugged me... Smiler

--
jJ

Posts: 61 | Location: United States | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, see my last sentence above. OJ II indeed!

jJ, you'd appreciate the book I mentioned above.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Oops! Where's the parents?

Reminds me of Ray's 'The Foghorn', where he saw the remains of an old Roller Coaster wasting away in the waters of Los Angeles and went on to write...The Foghorn. Here, the monorail is desecrated with grafitti while rusting away as well. Is this located on some forgotten Government property? Great photos.

People who have had the tops of their skulls removed during a brain operation, are awake, and have electrical stem placed on different portions of their brain, review in super great clarity moments of their lives they have forgotten. From what little I have read, I recon the brain stores everything! Nothing less than a digital recorder recording everything in a room as long as it's left on...

That roller coaster was the one on the old Venice pier. Then there was another one on the old Ocean Park pier, but that one got sold to an amusement park in of all places Phoenix! It was made part of Pacific Ocean park, before that went under. Its history now. I visited the Venice (CA) pier about 1945-6 when I was about 4 years old. My Dad took me down from Santa Monica on the street car and it ended at Windward Ave and then we walked a short block to the end of the pier. I loved all that amusement park stuff. I lived through the life of the Ocean Park Amusement pier and then the POP period and actually worked for POP and had keys to the entire park for a while when I was about 18. I could have become a carny, but I blew it by playing hookie one day from work and I was let go. Biggest favor that was ever done to me.

I think the brain is more like a fuzzy logic computer, not digital at all, wherein many synapses are accessed at nearly the same time and reinforcement of the current paths makes for long term memory. Thus, the need to STUDY, not just read, in order to program the brain's circuits for lasting benefit. Would that I had done a better job.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post