Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury Books
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Books
 Login/Join

posted
Who all out there enjoys Someting Wicked this way Comes? I think that BRadybury has a very unique style of writing. Lets here is ya'll.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really like his style of writing. I perfer whole ful chapters then fly by the seat of your pants jumbled sperts

Posts: 12 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the short chapters make the book too choppy. The subject changes so quickly that it confuses things.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I DONT LIKE IT EITHER

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like his style. I think it makes you feel more like part of the story. I can relate more to seeing things at the pace of the characters than having explained for a boring two pages. poo

i'm awesome

Posts: 26 | Location: earth | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree I dont like the short chapters either it does not let the book flow well and it makes it easier to just kind of stop reading.

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read another one of his book-- same strange style--bradbury is a very different man with ideas only few understand--what do you think he is like?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the story line, but its so hard to follow, i don't like how he switches point of view and topics so often. Its way to confusing

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you people actually like Ray Bradbury books/stories?

You know something's wrong when the jellyfish calls you by name.

Posts: 8 | Location: Jersey | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Like" is too weak a word. I love his stuff.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second that, Mr. Dark, in that I have been reading Ray's books and stories for over 40 years and loved them from the very begining. Of course not everyone is not going to like his style or what he has to say. That's fine and the way it should be, but don't use this forum to moan and cry about it. Leave and go else where to find someone's style of writing that you do like.

I am not sure what is happening with the Board right now. It is as if a whole class of high school English 101 has subscribed to the board and using this as an extension of their class room. Of course, that in itself is not wrong, but let's put positive slants on the comments.

Anyone else with me on this?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane: It looks like that's what happened. I have seen a lot of young people get turned on to Bradbury through assigned reading in school. This is kind of an interesting phenomena to me as most forced readings result in negative reactions to the author assigned. In the case of Bradbury (while not everyone is going to like a given author) a lot of kids are pleasantly surprised by Bradbury. They are forced to read him and then get sucked in by his magic. Where legitimate discussion ensues on these boards, or "good faith" comments on his writing (negative or positive) are posted, I think this is all to a good. It goes to the power of Bradbury and his writing that he often makes converts even of readers who had no "free" choice to read him.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good thoughts, Mr. Dark, and I agree with you. I have to admit that I miss teaching, although I was primarily a "substitute teacher" but tried to make some kind of impact expecially when I would be covering a class for a teacher over a number of days. I have posted elsewhere about the time I had the opportunity to cover Ray's short story "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh." Wondering how to make this more meaningful to the students I called Ray and interviewed him over a speaker phone as to the origins of the story, taped the interview and played it for the students before we read it in class. They all seemed to enjoy it.

I hope that you, and the other readers, understand what I was trying to say--that not all students are going to really enjoy Ray Bradbury, but don't use this forum to express your laments. Allow this space to be used by those so aptly described by Mr. Dark, as being "sucked into" Ray's fantastic writing and imagery.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen. Or, to have a more secular slant, I agree.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury's writing often needs to be heard, as well as read. I make it a point to have students read portions of his work in class. Yesterday we completed an assignment which required students to make selections, do readings, and offer explanations of why passages were chosen (from Martian Chronicles.)

Wonderful passages from: Moon Be Still as Bright, Musicians, Green Morning, Naming of Names, Watchers, There Will Come Soft Rains, Luggage Store... When I hear their interpretations, I get a new perspective. I enjoy a first time reader's analysis of a book with which I am quite familiar. In a way, it is the magic of RB at work yet again!

There are times as the teacher, and being familiar with the work, I can add emphasis or ironic tone to get his meaning or images out more effectively. I really think this helps many students become more engaged vs. a mere homework reading assignment followed by Q's and a graded quiz.

What Mr. D and Biplane speak of above can only occur when his works are carefully read. Otherwise, his metaphor and fantastic explanations (yes, most here "love") may become lost in the effort. To a teen looking for a quick plot and realistic conflict, RB may initially seem too complicated. Yet, when he is "heard," the looks on the students' faces reveal he is capturing them, just as we continue to be captured!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post