Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Update to Darabont's "Fahrenheit" Film

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update to Darabont's "Fahrenheit" Film
 Login/Join

posted
As per film news site Dark Horizons:

Speaking at the 35th Annual Saturn Awards, director Frank Darabont ("The Mist," "The Shawshank Redemption") tells STYD that his film adaptation of "Fahrenheit 451" remains a high priority for him.

"That's been a bit of a struggle. Hollywood doesn't trust smart material... I actually had a studio head read that script and say: 'Wow, that's the best and smartest script that I've read since running this studio but I can't possibly greenlight it.' I asked why and he says 'How am I going to get 13-year-olds to show up at the theater?.'"

http://www.darkhorizons.com/ne...-fahrenheit-451-film

Posts: 81 | Location: Somewhere in the Southwest, USA | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the mentality of Hollywood, I would have replied to that studio head, "You'll get the 13-year-olds because all students know that FAHRENHEIT 451 is required reading in high school, and a lot of kids will think that if they see the movie, they can skip reading the book."

Posts: 2461 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the misfortune of going to see TRANSFORMERS last evening. What the heck was all THAT? Two hours of robots fighting within the context of highly imaginative digital work. But after a few minutes I thought I was watching something from channel surfing across crazy wrestling TV. Then there was a bit of Lord of the Rings, specifically a character from the talking/walking trees. All in all, I felt it didn't communicate anything to me but a madhouse of action on the iMAX screen. But what about the audience? Full house here in Irvine, hardly a seat left, and mostly the younger crowd.

How does this speak to a movie like Fahrenheit 451? Well, it would definitely need every imaginable special effects you can muster (the Disney studio did scrub a number of scenes of Something Wicked This Way Comes to re-do scenes with newly installed special effects thruout the movie). There are a lot of opportunities to zooom up Fahrenheit 451 to please both a newer movie audience needing CG candy and keeping faithful to the book.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
I had the misfortune of going to see TRANSFORMERS last evening. What the heck was all THAT? Two hours of robots fighting within the context of highly imaginative digital work. But after a few minutes I thought I was watching something from channel surfing across crazy wrestling TV. Then there was a bit of Lord of the Rings, specifically a character from the talking/walking trees. All in all, I felt it didn't communicate anything to me but a madhouse of action on the iMAX screen. But what about the audience? Full house here in Irvine, hardly a seat left, and mostly the younger crowd.

How does this speak to a movie like Fahrenheit 451? Well, it would definitely need every imaginable special effects you can muster (the Disney studio did scrub a number of scenes of Something Wicked This Way Comes to re-do scenes with newly installed special effects thruout the movie). There are a lot of opportunities to zooom up Fahrenheit 451 to please both a newer movie audience needing CG candy and keeping faithful to the book.

Transformers ONE was enjoyable did not scream sequel. As for the new vision of F451, that is no getting around that the hound will get played up with big special F/X. I’m thinking the burning scenes will make the movie Back Draft look like a 4th of July sparkler. Just don’t mess with the basic message of the book and it will be fine. Durabont has done well with Stephen King’s works and I do believe he is the best director for the job.

Having been lucky enough to have been with Ray when Frank visited him I can say that he showed a lot of sincere love and respect for the man…which should translate to the screen.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Darabont has done well with Stephen King’s works ...

Well, except for The Mist.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A glimmer of hope for 451 remake? http://scifiwire.com/2009/06/w...tor-frank-darabo.php

One source is speculating about George Clooney.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post