Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Unpublished Stories in Stories of Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unpublished Stories in Stories of Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
Could someone please let me know which six stories from "The Stories of Ray Bradbury," were previously unpublished? I believe they include these; Aqueduct,Farewell Summer, Gotcha!, October Game, Black Ferris, plus one other. Thank you in advance for your help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: greenray,

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, greenray

'Gotcha' was published previously, possibly in Redbook magazine.
'The October Game' published somewheres in the pulps...

philnic, our illustrious correspondent in England,
or dandelion, learned moderator, may help you further... once they tune in.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, Nard. My question should have been, which six stories in The Stories of Ray Bradbury have never appeared in a book before. This information, about six stories, not the titles, is stated on the back flap of the dust jacket.

posted Hide Post
"The October Game" had been anthologized. The others you named may have been first book appearances or at least first time collected.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dandelion, for your information. In my original post, I listed five stories. Does anyone know what the sixth one is? Thanks again to all for your fine help and courtesy.

posted Hide Post
greenray,

it sounds like you need to consult my Ray Bradbury Story Finder. It should give you the answers you need. Go here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Phil,
Your fantastic web site was my first stop. Your short story finder lists; Aqueduct,Farewell Summer, Gotcha!,and Black Ferris as titles exclusive to The Stories of Ray Bradbury. The Amazon listing for the book adds October Game. Additionally, the short story finder for The Stories of Ray Bradbury lists Drunk, and in Charge of a Bicycle, the introduction as an exclusive. That makes of total of six stories, if the introduction is included.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
"The October Game" had been anthologized. The others you named may have been first book appearances or at least first time collected.

Just wanted to say "Hi" to all in these forums. I think it's wonderful to see intelligent, fun people connecting. I just joined today and am having fun watching and learning about all that's going on here. Just recently retired and am now doing what I want to do. Excellent. It's going to be fun watching and reading all the posts. Thank you good people.

Posts: 21 | Location: Ubiquitous | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I think it's wonderful to see intelligent, fun people connecting."

Yeah, well, the rest of us welcome you too!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Fun people
Fun watching

Oh, yeah!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess on the sixth one would be "The Traveller."

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Dandelion,

The Traveller, according to Phil's short story list, has also appeared in; Dark Carnival, The October Country, and From the Dust Returned. Of course, From The Dust Returned came later. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
greenray, you may be on a wild goose chase. Just because the dustwrapper or back cover of the book says there are six unpublished stories inside doesn't mean it's true! Ray's publishing history is so long and complex that publishers struggle to give accurate details. The copyright pages of Ray's short story collections are notoriously inaccurate - and if the legal department can't get it right I wouldn't expect the marketing department to get it right either.

Not sure if this has already been stated, but "The October Game" had previously appeared in Long After Midnight, so shouldn't be included in the six stories you are hunting for.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Traveller" did appear in "Dark Carnival," which I had forgotten about as I could never get it till the reissue, and "From the Dust Returned," which was published later, but not in "The October Country." That is an error and should be corrected.

posted Hide Post
I hereby declare this mystery solved! The six stories that made their first book appearance in The Stories of Ray Bradbury are; Drunk, and in Charge of a Bicycle, The Black Ferris, Farewell Summer, McGillahee's Brat, The Aqueduct, and Gotcha! Now, some will argue that McGillahee's Brat appeared in Green Shadow, White Whale. While that may be true, please remember that Green Shadow, White Whale was published a few years after The Stories of Ray Bradbury. Additionally, perhaps Mars is Heaven is different in some way to The Third Expedition. Would appreciate your thoughts, comments, and corrections, as always.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: greenray,