Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    "The Meteor" short story/screenplay

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Meteor" short story/screenplay
 Login/Join

posted
Nard Kordell suggested I repost this in the hope that a new "top of the listing" might jolt someone's memory...

"The Meteor" was, I understand, the original source for Ray Bradbury's (1952/3) screenplay for the 3D movie "It Came from Outer Space". Would anyone have access to a copy of any "Meteor" story/screenplay material or know of its published whereabouts.

Many Thanks again

Posts: 2 | Location: London United Kingdom | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Meteor" was a 110-page story treatment for the movie. It may have been published in some very special, limited edition, but, as far as I know, has NEVER appeared in a book, and certainly not in anything mainstream or easy-to-get.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to wait fourteen years to chip in on this, but I was in the process of making a complete inventory of all my short fiction books (i. e., anthologies and collections), when I came across CLASSIC SCIENCE FICTION, edited by Peter Haining. This is a UK publication by Pan Books, dated 1998 (this may not be the first edition, but that's what it says in the front of my book).

From p. 15 to p. 49 is a Bradbury piece titled IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, but the headnote states clearly that it is "Based on a screen treatment 'The Meteor' by Ray Bradbury". Confusingly, it is this title - "The Meteor" - that then appears at the top of each odd numbered page for the rest of the story.

I scanned through it, and it looks for all in the world like a plain story. Upon my quick perusal, there were no "stage" directions or screenplay apparatus.

I can find no mention of its original publication elsewhere, and it isn't on the 2004 Eller list. It may be dealt with somewhere in one of the Eller books that I have, but I can't remember. Oh, and I haven't checked Phil's site, though I'm going there just after this Smiler

Does anyone else know more about this piece?

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The claim that the original screen treatment for IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE was called "The Meteor" is likely erroneous. Rather, it appears to be the title attached to the short story version of the screenplay which appears in the Haining book. In 2004, Gauntlet Press published a very fine book about the film which was titled (like the movie) IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACES and edited by Bradbury bibliographer Donn Albright. The book contained just about everything that had been uncovered relating to Ray's involvement with the film. Here is a listing of what Part II of the book contained relating to that writing process:

Part II. From Story to Film: It Came From Outer Space

“Ground Zero” (The Atomic Monster) 39 page screen treatment by Ray Bradbury (actual Pages with handwritten corrections and notes)

“It Came From Outer Space”: (Atomic Monster) Outline, 3 September 1952, 37 page outline by Ray Bradbury (actual pages)

“It Came From Outer Space”: Atomic Monster) Outline, 5 September 1952, 49 page outline by Ray Bradbury (actual pages)

“It Came From Outer Space”: A Story for Films, September 1952, 119 pages by Ray Bradbury (actual pages)

"Adaptations of It Came From Outer Space: “The Meteor” (two published versions)

As noted above, the only reference to "The Meteor" relates to two adaptations of the film script, not to any screen treatment written by Ray prior to filming, which appear to also be named "Ground Zero" and "Atomic Monster". If anyone has any other information, hopefully they will post it.

Anyone interested in reading more about the Gauntlet Press book or in purchasing it can find additional information on the Gauntlet website by clicking on the link below:

https://www.gauntletpress.com/...me-from-outer-space/

Posts: 2448 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard is exactly right in everything he says about "The Meteor".

douglasSP, I haven't seen the Haining book with the sort-of version of "The Meteor" that you refer to - but I do have a magazine/press book that contains a prose adaptation of the film's story. It may or may not be the same text as you have there. Contact me offline, and we can compare notes to see if this is the same thing, or a different thing.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story is "A Matter of Taste". I is collected in the volume mentioned about as well as in the story collection 'A Cat's Pajamas'.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 February 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you and welcome, Mike! Please continue posting and tell all your friends to come liven up this place!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post