Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    ice on mars

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ice on mars
 Login/Join

posted
Turns out the Rover is sitting on a patch of ice on Mars......now they know it might be possible to terraform Mars.....I couldn't help but think about the Martian Chronicles and wonder.....could it turn out to be true? The sandboats.....maybe we will be the Martians.....

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A childhood fear of mine was that of being attacked by Martian's (War of the Worlds etc) maybe I ate too many sweets back then. It's ironic how now it seems that maybe one day we'll become the Martian's ourself's through terraforming and other technological advances.

I like how Ray tackles social and moral issues plus world fears of the 50s and 60's such as ethnic cleansing, nuclear war, famine etc. In his chronicles he explores eutopian dreams for the minorities and a threat of industrial development, exploiting and capitalising on Mars resources.

To sum up the Martian chronicles I think Ray has a way of saying get lost earthman we got here first and we don't want the likes you spoiling it for us as you did the earth. We came here to get away from you. It's a great book and probably the most read one...

Peace Rocketman.

Posts: 24 | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman:
It's a great book and probably the most read one.

I hope so - it's my favourite book.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm re-reading it now. Great book! While the stories are great, he does something with language in this book that is incredible.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post