Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The October Country on stage in L.A.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The October Country on stage in L.A.
 Login/Join

posted
I've just been cast in "The October Country", an evening of Bradbury stories, opening May 31 at Theater West in Los Angeles, co-produced by Mr. Bradbury's Pandemonium Theatre Company. Mr. Bradbury will most likely be attending each performance, and he usually likes to make a short speech before the show. The three plays being staged are "The Jar", "The Cistern", and "Banshee". If you're in the area and want a chance to possibly meet Mr. Bradbury you can find out all about the show here:
http://www.theatrewest.org/nowPlay.html

This is my first time at raybradbury.com, so if a message like this is more appropriate for submission to the newsletter please let me know.

I'm actually playing Ray, so to speak, in Banshee. It's a fictionalized account of a night with John Huston in Ireland (during the time he went there to work on "Moby Dick"). Should be fun.

[This message has been edited by CharlieMount (edited 05-07-2003).]

Posts: 40 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I've never seen the newsletter, I think you picked a good spot for your announcement. Congratulations on getting cast, and thanks for sharing the information.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Mr Dark". Good name.

Mr. Bradbury has been staging a lot of his short stories around town lately, with many of my friends involved. The most recent production won an LA Weekly Award. He's very much embracing theatre these days. It's interesting to see some of my favorite stories dramatized.

Posts: 40 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Best of luck with it. "Banshee" is one of my favorites. Please keep us informed as things progress!

Best,
Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm trying to find a video store that has a copy of the Bradbury Theatre production of "The Banshee" with Peter O'Toole and Charles Martin Smith (who, interestingly, is an old member of Theatre West), but no one seems to have it. I'll ask the director. (I probably shouldn't watch it anyway.) First rehearsal is tomorrow night.

[This message has been edited by CharlieMount (edited 06-04-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Congratulations, thanks, and break whatever is necessary.

The dates given are:
May 31 - June 28
Thu, Fri, Sat at 8pm
Sun at 3pm
By which I take it performances will be
Saturday, May 31 8pm--OPENING NIGHT
Sunday, June 1 3pm
Thursday, June 5 8pm
Friday, June 6 8pm
Saturday, June 7 8pm
Sunday, June 8 3pm
Thursday, June 12 8pm
Friday, June 13 8pm
Saturday, June 14 8pm
Sunday, June 15 3pm
Thursday, June 19 8pm
Friday, June 20 8pm
Saturday, June 21 8pm
Sunday, June 22 3pm
Thursday, June 26 8pm
Friday, June 27 8pm
Saturday, June 28 8pm--CLOSING NIGHT

Does this sound right?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Now, I ask you, how does one play that? LOL"

With confidence, depth and a sincere emotional connection? Perhaps this is why I read instead of act. What kind of insipid portrayal do you think I'd get from my own advice?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The writing is wonderful, of course, and I find you have to approach it the same way you approach Shakespeare -- forget method acting, forget sense memory, serve the language, serve the text, and commit to the style.

That schedule sounds accurate, dandelion, except that there are also two previews offered at half price on May 29 and May 30.

posted Hide Post
I spoke too soon. Last night's first rehearsal went well, and the driector made the excellent suggestion that I actually speak some of the stage direction prose as a series of strange interlude moments. It works nicely.

posted Hide Post
Ray met the cast and posed for pics on Tuesday. I was in costume, suit, tie, California rain coat and glasses, trying to look as much like Ray as he did back in the day. Ray ascended the stairs to the stage, came over to me and said "Hello there Ray Bradbury you son of a gun!"

He was very charming and dutifully posed for pics with us all. The last pics are going to be real keepers -- we have the stage crew dressed in hoods and robes, a minion from hell sort of look, and they all stood encirling Ray as he sat there next to the jar prop (from "The Jar", a story about something that may or may not be a human head in a jar). Creepy shot.

It was a pleasure and a joy to meet him, especially dressed as his long ago self. I hope he enjoys the show. Previews begin tonight and we have our official opening Saturday night. Ray's bought out a local restaurant for our cast party -- damn nice of him.

We had a bit of drama a week and a half ago when, in the middle of rehearsal, our "John" (the John Huston character) had a bit of a panic attack and quit the show. I was somewhat relieved anyway -- the man wasn't powerful enough to be Huston and really wasn't coming along. I think he was feeling his age and was having the worst time memorizing the lines and working out the blocking. Anyway, we found a good guy and he's been doing his best to catch up.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Charlie. I just received the following notice:

Theatre West www.theatrewest.org
3333 Cahuenga Blvd. West
Los Angeles CA 90068
ph: (323) 851-4839
fax 323) 851-5286

Hi,

Just a quick reminder that our latest production, a world premiere by the legendary Ray Bradbury, opens for 1/2 price previews tonight, Thursday May 29, and also tomorrow, Fri May 30.

We still have tickets available for all performances including the opening night, Saturday, May 31.

Performance times are Thur - Sat at 8 pm and Sun at 3 pm.

Regular tickets are $20, Seniors $17.50, Students $5

1/2 price preview tickets are $10, $8.75 and $5.

Mr. Bradbury's last 1 act collection was just awarded Best One Act by the LA Weekly, where he also won the Lifetime Achievement Award. He is scheduled to attend all performances opening weekend. (And he loves to autograph his books!)

John Gallogly
Executive Director

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlie--What a great experience!! Is there any chance we can see the pictures when you get them?

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CharlieMount: Thanks for your updates and descriptions! It's really interesting to get the perspective of a participant!

posted Hide Post
Can I post pics here? I will if it's possible (and if I'm allowed to -- I'm sure Mr. Bradbury's people will have to be asked). At the least I'll put links to the photos I put on the Theatre West web site (I'm the company web master).

Last night's first preview when exceedingly well. The house was packed, it seemed, with Bradbury fans, and they were most gracious and forgiving of the few technical goofs that always accompany previews. Overall, though, the tech went very smoothly and it was a solid evening. We did manage to break a glass on stage during our scene, but it was the sort of thing John Huston would do anyway, so it worked.

If anyone would like to come to the Preview tonight for FREE e-mail me and I'll put your name on the box office list.

posted Hide Post
Hey! Charlie Mount!!

What's your e-mail. Can't seem to locate it anywhere.................

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post