Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Would like to make a wish come true

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would like to make a wish come true
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
I hope you do not mind but I am writing under my husband's account.

David use to frequent this forum and loved to read and converse with all. He is an avid Bradbury fan. He himself has wrote a childrens book, but it has not yet been published. We are trying at this time to get this done. It is dedicated to his son.

David was stricken Oct of 2007 with ALS also known as Lou Gerig's disease. David went from walking in Oct of 2007 to being wheelchair bound now, and totally dependant on others. He has had a rapid progression.

I would like for all ya'll help me if you could. Do any of you know of a way David might be able to meet Mr. Bradbury. This would be one of the best moments of his life if I could get this done.

Any suggestions would be greatful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ravenswake,

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please give Ravenswake our best. I'm not sure about a meeting with Mr. Bradbury. I just saw him two weeks ago. He lives in the LA area in California. If Ravenswake can't make that trip, it is unlikely Mr. Bradbury can go see him. Mr Bradbury is 87 and in a wheelchair himself--though still writing every day. Perhaps someone here can expedite an autographed picture, or the autographing of a book, or even a phone call?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, please give our best wishes to ravenswake. I'm sure one of the regulars in S.California can help in some way, even if a meeting is impractical.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for some good ideas.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brightest blessings, Mrs ravenswake!

Is David able to travel?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We will be able to travel when we can get an accessible van. That will take sometime though.

Am I happy?

No, I can not bear to see my wonderful husband wake everyday wondering if he is living a nightmare. He has so much going for him, and to be trapped inside a body that will not allow him to do what his minds wants and needs is the most horrible thing I have witnessed.

He is my life and there is no cure, there is nothing I can do to help him. We have a limited number of days left together and those days for him will be filled with suffering.

So I guess you could say we are soo not happy, but we will try and make the best of everyday we have.

I wish I could make him happy again.

posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed. Best wishes and the blessings of each day to "ravenswake." It has been a pleasure to exchange with you here, so know you are thought of and hopefully the CA folks can assist with a hello from Mr. B!
f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenswake:
We will be able to travel when we can get an accessible van. That will take sometime though.

That is good - you'll keep us up to date, then.

quote:
Am I happy? No, I can not bear to see my wonderful husband wake everyday wondering if he is living a nightmare.

No, that's just my signature line. It's a quote from Fahrenheit 451.

I truly surmise that you are not very happy right now, and I fear there is nothing we can say to make you so, but bright blessings nonetheless.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and hope the travel works out!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Spaulding,

Forgive me.

Thanks to all for you kindness.

posted Hide Post
Mrs Ravenswake, I applaud you. Your devotion shines out like a beacon.

I wish you courage and strength, and hope that for one day at least you get to fulfill a happy dream in the midst of this nightmare.

Isn't there somebody on this board with a bit of clout who could expedite a mobility vehicle? Time is of the essence it would seem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinkerbell,

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post