Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    short stories

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

short stories
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if you could tell me a name of a Bradbury short story with the genre of technology. I have found "The Veldt" and "There Will Come Soft Rains", but I need one more.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try 'The Murderer' (from GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN) - a terrific (and prophetic) satire on how technology is infiltrating everyday life, and fear/hatred of technology.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would recommend, "The City", also.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Pedestrian" would also play in this discussion. The ultimate use of technology has brought about the entire scenario and the s.s's ironic denouement.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok thank you so much! The only problem is that I am having difficulty finding a literary criticism for any third story i want to use in my research paper. The only other story i can find with a literary criticism is "The April Witch," but that does not have anything to do with the topic of my paper(Bradbury's view of technology).

posted Hide Post
amd52790, where have you looked for literary criticism? There is a list of useful resources (books and websites) on the FAQ page of my website (direct link here), which might help.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sources I am using are mostly books. Short stories for students, masterplots, short story criticism...I have one Internet source and it is from infotrac

posted Hide Post
amd, don't know if this will help, but there is a critical review of Bradbury (including The Illustrated Man, his short story collection that is most revealing of his attitudes to technology) in Locus magazine, direct link here:

http://www.locusmag.com/Features/2008/02/yesterdays-tom...ws-ray-bradbury.html

If you can get access to The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction (edited by John Clute and Peter Nicholls), you will find some discussion of Bradbury's attitudes to technology there. The book "Ray Bradbury", edited by Olander and Greenberg, contains various essays of which I am fairly certain there is one about technology.

It might be stretching a point, but the Bradbury novel Dandelion Wine (which was originally published as short stories in magazines) includes a story/section called The Happiness Machine. There are quite a few study guides to Dandelion Wine, and these will usually discuss the themes of The Happiness Machine. The online study guide at www.sparknotes.com almost certainly does.

I hope this helps!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post