Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Two New Books About Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two New Books About Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
While we are waiting for Sam Weller's much anticipated biography to be released in 2005, I thought I would mention two new non-fiction books about Ray that have recently been published. The first is RAY BRADBURY: THE LIFE OF FICTION, by Jonathan R. Eller and William F. Touponce (Kent State University Press, 2004), a massive, well-written critical study of Ray's work, with many biographical details thrown in. Ray's good friend William F. Nolan wrote the introduction. Highly recommended! Also just released is a short biographical and critical study for young adults called RAY BRADBURY: MASTER OF SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY, by Wendy Mass (Enslow Publishers, 2004). The latter book is definitely aimed at teenagers who may not know a great deal about Ray, his life or his work. (In other words, Sam Weller has nothing to be worried about!) Both books are available via Amazon.com.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 06-18-2004).]

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latter book is one I reviewed about a year and a half ago for the publisher. I thought it had died. I'm glad to see it came out.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Richard. Two more books to add to my collection!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

Was your review published? If so, details please. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this site who'd be interested in reading it. Or, perhaps, if there's no copyright problems, you could post it here in its entirety or make it available to those interested by e-mail.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the review was not published. It was an internal review-for-content for the publisher prior to publication, so I got to see a pretty early manuscript. They paid me a small fee to review it to check it for accuracy, for completion of major events and literary works, and for credibility of the coverage of the material.

They did ask me for a quote on what I thought (possibly for book jacket use) but I have no idea whether or not they used it. But it was really fun, and, for the target audience, I thought it seemed to cover the material in a balanced way.

It was a blind review, so I didn't know the author's name, but I recognize the publisher, and the timing is about right, and that was the target audience the publisher outlined for me.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks. I guess that means you gave up your right to the review - if not, can you post it?

Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The review was never meant to be published. The publisher wanted me to review it for it's value and accuracy. They were essentially getting it fact-checked before publishing it. I imagine there were others who provided reviews, also.

posted Hide Post
I thought I would mention that there will be another non-fiction book about Ray published in the very near future. The current publication date is July 1, 2004 for CONVERSATIONS WITH RAY BRADBURY, edited by Stephen L. Aggelis (University Press of Mississippi), a 240-page book of several interviews with Ray that have taken place over the years. I've already pre-ordered my copy!

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is based on his dissertation from the Florida State University, published in 2003. Someone out here listed a location and I was able to print out a good pdf version. If anyone remembers where it is, feel free to re-post it.

They got the book out in a hurry!

posted Hide Post
That was me, and the link was: http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-11182003-234211/unrestricted/Aggelis_Dissertation.pdf

Unfortunately, Mr Aggelis advised me a few weeks ago that the FSU server was being re-organised and the link would break - which it now has.

I have a copy of the PDF file; if anyone would like a copy, please let me know.

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received my copy of "Ray Bradbury: The Life of Fiction" by Jonathan R. Eller and William F. Toupence. (Kent State University Press, 2004)

Wow! What a detailed, meticulous work!

Forward by William F. Nolan (very good). With a short excerpt (short, but very good) from an interview with Bradbury.

The text looks at Bradbury's work around the theme of Carnivals and (while, I of course, have only read excerpts at this point) looks very, very good.

If you are serious about your interest in Bradbury's work (from a scholarly level) you should pick this book up.

posted Hide Post
I just noticed that one of the authors of "Ray Bradbury: The Life of Fiction", William Toupance, wrote an introductory essay to the Guantlet edition of "It Came From Outer Space", where he talks about the theme of carnival and that screenplay/movie. I hadn't put the two together until I looked at the title of his essay: "Our Harvest is Fear: Aspects of carnival in Bradbury's screen treatment". Very cool to see all this scholarship coming out on Ray and his work.

I also received my copy of "Ray Bradbury: Master of Science Fiction and Fantasy" by Wendy Mass, by Enslow publishers (the one I reviewed in manuscript). A lot of good pictures and I think it will be a good read for the target audience.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

Thanks for the information about the books. Your endorsement is good enough for me.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two quotes from Bradbury's short interview at the end of "Ray Bradbury: The Life of Fiction":

Speaking of the realization he made when he noted that Tutankhamen and the masks in his stage production were essentially interchangeable. What he said was:

"So the metaphors are interchangeable. I didn't know I was doing that. That's the great thing -- to do this without knowing it."

There was a discussion on these boards awhile back where was some discussion about how legitimate it is to "read into" Bradbury's writing. My own view is the metaphors are "in him" and come out in his writing. I think they sometimes are consciously constructed, and I think that sometimes they are just unconscious outgrowths of the images and creativity in his head and heart. The quote is interesting to me, as it seems to legitimize the attempt to dissect his writing and try to uncover meanings that are buried in the metaphors and symbols -- whether he consciously constructed them or not.

Second quote:

"I have an epigraph from Melville's 'Moby Dick' in 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'. The character Stubb says, 'I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.' . . . Sure you have days when you are not happy, but the Great Laugh is the cleanser."

This just goes to one of the great lessons in SWTWC -- there is evil and there is fear and there is unhappiness. They are overcome by love and laughter and faith.

Very good stuff.

posted Hide Post
Touponce wrote at least one scholarly work on Bradbury before this one.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post