Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury Audio

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Audio
 Login/Join

posted
I've added some pages to my website, cataloguing Bradbury's work on radio and commercial recordings. The layout leaves a lot to be desired (I'm working on it!), but the facts are there. Please take a look: http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379
(click on "audio" to see the new pages)

Many of the items listed are in my personal collection, so I have full details on them - but some items I have never seen or heard, so if anyone can provide further details I would be very pleased to hear about it.

At the end of the page of radio material, I have placed three items which I have dated as ????, as I have been unable to find any definitive information on them. I would be particularly pleased if anyone can help date these ones.

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is developing into a very well prepared and valuable site, PN!! I plan to spend a bit more time than I just did perusing and will send you a note or two that might help with some of the items you are working on.

Really nice effort. I believe, your site will become a great asset to the discussions and study of/on Mr. Bradbury and his life's work!

I will add this to my references for my classwork with HS students. Thanks much for the update on this. Great pics on the book covers, too.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is really amazing. What a job!

Philnic, this is quite a project. Great to see 'Zero Hour' script. I don't believe this is anywhere else online.

Question: I noticed Leviathan '99 listed as something way back when, in the late 1960's. Can that be? If it is, I'm surprised. I saw the actual play in Los Angeles at a soundstage, which would put it around 1972. I didn't realize there was work done on this project much earlier.

Look forward to looking thru all this valuable info....
Thanks again!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the kind words!

Nard, yes Leviathan 99 was dramatised by BBC Radio in 1968 - I have an off-air recording of it. It's a bit of a starchy, theatrical performance (I may eventually get round to putting some clips on the site). My understanding is that the BBC version was the world premiere, and that the stage premiere came a few years later, presumably the version you saw in L.A.

Somewhere on the web is an abstract from an academic paper comparing the radio and stage scripts.

(Goes off to Google, does a quick search, returns)

Here it is: http://www.vccaedu.org/inquiry/inquiry-fall97/i12-cart.html

The full version of the paper isn't online, as far as I can tell, but some academic libraries may be able to access it in print form.

The abstract mistakenly dates the BBC broadcast as 1966, but I'm pretty certain it was 1968. However, Bradbury's radio script may well have been written in '66.

I, for one, would love to know how the radio play came about - whether it was commissioned directly by the BBC. I feel some research coming on...

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post